Everything Nick Nurse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post

Once they have a player measurably better than FVV, this could work. More McCaw or Norm in FVV's place won't change anything. The coach telling FVV to get off ball would help...

But that's OG. Once he's back, they could conceivably go to a super big lineup with Siakam and Kawhi as ball handlers while Lowry gets his rest, and he can obviously eat up the minutes Powell is playing as an extra wing in the rotation. Until he's back though, the only solution is to limit those minutes, which Nurse did admirably in game 4.

Which is another big upside to playing Ibaka at the 4 - if you cover off 48 minutes of PF with Ibaka and Siakam, Kawhi's minutes all shift up to the wing, leaving fewer minutes there for guys like Norm and McCaw and Fred to fill.
    Exactly. If Serge playing the 4 causes Fred, Norm and McCaw to get less minutes that's all I we can ask for. Even if Serge doesn't play well to me it's better than Fred or Norm or McCaw
    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post

Exactly. If Serge playing the 4 causes Fred, Norm and McCaw to get less minutes that's all I we can ask for. Even if Serge doesn't play well to me it's better than Fred or Norm or McCaw
      Plus, Serge's issues in this series, besides missing some shots (which is a widespread thing), have come when guarding Embiid. Playing at the 4 means Gasol is guarding Embiid, which in and of itself is a good thing.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• This series was made for gasol-ibaka front court. Sixers have a traditional front court out at all times. Also, serge is the only guy after the starters giving us anything resembling nba level play.

this series, unless OG returns, should have Gasol, Ibaka and siakam taking all 96 minutes at the 4 and 5. Leaves only about 20 minutes for fred norm and McCaw to fight over, hopefully staggered enough that they dont hurt us
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
          This series was made for gasol-ibaka front court. Sixers have a traditional front court out at all times. Also, serge is the only guy after the starters giving us anything resembling nba level play.

this series, unless OG returns, should have Gasol, Ibaka and siakam taking all 96 minutes at the 4 and 5. Leaves only about 20 minutes for fred norm and McCaw to fight over, hopefully staggered enough that they dont hurt us
          I'd give all those 20 minutes to Norm, just so he has some consistency of role and can develop a shooting rhythm. Powell is great when he has a defined role card. He screws up when you change his role in the slightest.

Something like: (1) bring the ball up court... sometimes, (2) hand it off to Kawhi, Gasol, Lowry or Pascal, (3) defend like a mofo, (4) wait in the corner for the bailout 3, (5) make some cuts from time-to-time. (6) Only dribble the ball if you're the bailout guy with less than 5 seconds on the clock. (7) sprint back in transition. That's it.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Plus, Serge's issues in this series, besides missing some shots (which is a widespread thing), have come when guarding Embiid. Playing at the 4 means Gasol is guarding Embiid, which in and of itself is a good thing.
            This is true. They did sometimes have both guys out there when Embiid was on the bench but it was for a very short time. Unlike in the past games.
            I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Nurse gets a tiny bit of credit....

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                  Nurse gets a tiny bit of credit....
                  And then loses it again for making the same or similar mistakes in the first game against the Bucks. Clearly he has vast universes of knowledge beyond what I have, or anyone else on this forum, but why persist in playing FVV and Norm together, or even throwing Serge in there with them? Has that trio not been shown to be unplayable against higher level competition? And why the stubborn persistence in saving time outs until the opposing teams run has extended to 8 points or more? He must have a reason. You can't be stupid and get to this level in basketball.

I just don't understand.

Comment

• title says it all ..nuff said

Comment

• KeonClark
                      KeonClark commented
                      Editing a comment
                      slaw wrote: View Post

Well, Bledsoe was basically 'benched' in Game 4 (only played 20 minutes). Hello, $70 million extension! I see some Bucks fans calling for Hill and Brogdon to start and Bledsoe and Mirotic to go to the bench (or some combination thereof). Don't think they do anything drastic yet but I suspect Bledsoe plays less of a role in Game 5.

One knock on Budenholzer has been his unwillingness to change too much in the playoffs, which can cut both ways. Interesting to see whether they believe they can shoot their way past the Raps or make more material changes.
                      Mirotic WAS a change, especially for us. I could see them starting one of Hill or Brogdon over him and trying to speed the game up on us. Kawhi is slow cause of his leg, and so is Marc. Its no coincidence good offense begat good defense. They can't beat us in the half court set.

• bertarapsfan
                      bertarapsfan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I didn't want to comment in this thread. But i think this is the best place the put this. Adrian Griffin is getting a look for the Grizz Head coaching job. Our staff must be doing something right if other teams are trying to poach our assistants. Hope we dont lose him adrian seems like a really good lead assistant.

• golden
                      golden commented
                      Editing a comment
                      slaw wrote: View Post

Well, Bledsoe was basically 'benched' in Game 4 (only played 20 minutes). Hello, $70 million extension! I see some Bucks fans calling for Hill and Brogdon to start and Bledsoe and Mirotic to go to the bench (or some combination thereof). Don't think they do anything drastic yet but I suspect Bledsoe plays less of a role in Game 5.

One knock on Budenholzer has been his unwillingness to change too much in the playoffs, which can cut both ways. Interesting to see whether they believe they can shoot their way past the Raps or make more material changes.
                      On offense, Bud vs. Nurse is a bit like a clash of 2 philosophies.

Bud's style is highly scripted & predictable, but it is practiced and drilled so thoroughly that it's hard for the opposition to stop it, even when you know exactly what's coming. It has a very high floor and a high ceiling, but not the highest. Nurse's style is largely unscripted and less predictable, but requires highly skilled practictioners who are all on the same wavelength and can make smart decisions in real time, or else it can look extremely disjointed. It has a very high ceiling, but also a really low floor.

There are obviously other larger factors (i.e. Kawhi's health), but the longer the series goes, you would have to think it should favor the less predictable style, assuming what we saw last night was the team finally finding chemistry and gelling as a unit for real. It would be nice to have one more season with this group to give Nurse's style the best chance of working out. With Nurse's style it takes more time for players to learn each other's tendencies to improvise off each other.

It's Classical vs. Jazz

• Anyone heard anything?

It's disappointing to see the Raptors as a significant underdog in their own building. But, as it stands, the Bucks -3 line seems about right.

The Raptors Shot Quality in the three games so far has been .50, .47, .49. The Buck's Shot Quality has been .52, .53, .52. You are going to have a hard time beating a good team that consistently gets easier shots than you.

Through the first three games, we have been lucky that Milwaukee has shot rather poorly. In Game 3 the Bucks made just 14 of 44 three-pointers. They also shot a dismal 66.7% from the free throw line. If the Bucks had shot their normal percentages on those shots they would have scored an extra 8+ points. And we would be done.

Yes, let's give our starters credit, they have played some stellar defense, especially in the paint. But that doesn't explain the Bucks converting just 25 of 80 Wide Open 3Ps this series. The hard reality is that the Bucks have shot worse than expected on attempts that have a strong tendency to regress to the mean over time. I suspect that explains the shift in the betting line.

Unless the Raptor's coaches are content just to hope the Bucks shoot badly again they need to do something differently.

I would love to see a huge reduction in the drive and kick / drive and choke game and focus on swinging the ball and shooting over that packed paint. It seems to me we look so much better when we play that way. How about a few more off ball screens? We have better shooters than the Bucks, but we need to get them decent looks early in the clock. Of course, if the Bucks start coming out to contest then let Pascal and Kawhi go to work inside. At the very least, we introduce some higher variance into the Shot Quality equation.

The Raps are a tired team with a very thin bench. If we keep driving into the paint trying to beat the Bucks at their own game, our chances seem pretty remote. But, if we make them come to us, I really believe our starters have the talent, the experience and the character to beat anybody.

Any ideas or guesses on if and what Nick might change?

Comment

• KeonClark
                      KeonClark commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Keep them in half court at all costs. That involves getting back on defense after your shot goes up, and it also involves, easier said than done I know, MAKING a high % of your shots. Makes create dead ball inbounds. We are thumping them half court offense vs half court offense. They are killing us on transition points and rebounding.

Good offense creates good defense.

• MixxAOR
                      MixxAOR commented
                      Editing a comment
                      KeonClark wrote: View Post
                      Keep them in half court at all costs. That involves getting back on defense after your shot goes up, and it also involves, easier said than done I know, MAKING a high % of your shots. Makes create dead ball inbounds. We are thumping them half court offense vs half court offense. They are killing us on transition points and rebounding.

Good offense creates good defense.
                      They can't crash the offensive boards. Shot goes up for Raps, they better have 4 guys run back.

• BrieflySpeaking
                      BrieflySpeaking commented
                      Editing a comment
                      iblastoff wrote: View Post
                      why would any of us know what nick nurse is gonna change
                      True. I just don't watch or read many interviews. Thought somebody might have heard something in the media or picked up on a tendency. It's nice to have an idea what to be watching for.

Kawhi is an amazing ISO player - when you absolutely need it. But if you constantly run he or Pascal into multiple help defenders the efficiency is not going to cut it. Too many circus shots, too many blocked shots, too many turnovers. Ask Kyrie.

Post ups, same problem.

Our PNRs are almost as bad, although we have to keep on running them.

I know we can't turn into the Warriors overnight. But there must be some way to get more spot ups. Even some clean looks off the bounce. We never seem to get an open cut. Never seem to get someone open from an off ball screen. Why don't we run more reverses and swings?

I don't get it. Is this stagnation by design? I thought we were done with this. Very frustarating.

• Nurse not been fired yet??????

I thought that was a sure thing from all the chatter.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                      Nurse not been fired yet??????

I thought that was a sure thing from all the chatter.
                      Sort of "What have you done for me lately" mentality...

Comment

• Zak24gege wrote: View Post

Sort of "What have you done for me lately" mentality...
                        Wait a minute, aren't we still doing that stupid 'the process is more important than results' bullshit? No? Thank the gods.

Comment

• Juuust spreading this gif around.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Wait a minute, aren't we still doing that stupid 'the process is more important than results' bullshit? No? Thank the gods.
                            Uh, we're still experimenting to get an idea of what's going to work in the Finals. (see what I did there)

Comment

Working...
                            X