No announcement yet.

Everything Nick Nurse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All those games FVV struggled with his shot and Nick Nurse stuck with him? That paid off didn't? Nick is smarter than the guys in here calling for Nick's head.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
      All those games FVV struggled with his shot and Nick Nurse stuck with him? That paid off didn't? Nick is smarter than the guys in here calling for Nick's head.
      They'll be back for it at the first opportunity.

For pretty much everyone, it's always been a "what have you done for me lately."
      "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
      "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Another thing to give NN credit: Raptors are sending 4 guys back on defense and leaving only 1 big to crash the glass. They are not letting the Bucks get points in transition.

Comment

• Truth Teller wrote: View Post
          Another thing to give NN credit: Raptors are sending 4 guys back on defense and leaving only 1 big to crash the glass. They are not letting the Bucks get points in transition.
          They mentioned this after game 3 or game 4 (can't recall which one) but I'm sure Gasol and Nurse talked about how the message was you can go after the offensive board but you better be sure you're going to get it or at least tip it around, otherwise, get back. Gasol, I believe, mentioned that Serge was particularly good at judging that kind of stuff, though, it was Gasol with a couple of huge offensive rebounds that helped win Game 6.

Comment

• What happened to that Fire Nick Nurse thread??? lol

Comment

• I love everything about Nick Nurse as a head coach. He's a born leader, he relishes the competition and the moment when things get tough, he gives his guys the freedom TO succeed, he empowers everyone on the roster, and most importantly, he makes it fun. At the end of the day, these guys are playing basketball, and he does a great job of reminding the guys that this is supposed to be fun. The experimenting costs him sometimes but I believe the outcome is a net positive because as I said it empowers guys. And of course, he understands basketball very, very well. If we still had Casey, we probably would have lost in the second round to Philly after a tough 6 or 7 game series against Orlando.

Comment

• The pattern of Nurse discovering (too slowly for my taste but still) the key to success in each series, then implementing it more and more as the series goes on, continues. Figured out how to score against the Magic, figured out to hard match Gasol to Embiid (and weirdly forgot in game 6, but remembered in time for 7), now has been matching Kawhi to Giannis about half of each game. Move that up to like 60-70% of Giannis' possessions, and it's probably over, barring a wild outlier shooting game from one team or the other. Huge change from the Casey years.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                  The pattern of Nurse discovering (too slowly for my taste but still) the key to success in each series, then implementing it more and more as the series goes on, continues. Figured out how to score against the Magic, figured out to hard match Gasol to Embiid (and weirdly forgot in game 6, but remembered in time for 7), now has been matching Kawhi to Giannis about half of each game. Move that up to like 60-70% of Giannis' possessions, and it's probably over, barring a wild outlier shooting game from one team or the other. Huge change from the Casey years.
                  'Too slowly' -
                  I think it can be deliberate.
                  He is empowering his players, giving them the chance to figure their games out.
                  Like what happened to Kyle, and what is happening with Fred.

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

'Too slowly' -
                    One of the things about the timing of material changes (tactical, personnel, etc.) is that they all have unintended consequences that aren't always obvious when you make the change. Look at the Bucks last night. Brogdon goes into the starting lineup and plays terrific. Great adjustment. Or was it? Now, the bench is weaker and Raps take advantage wiping out the lead Brogdon helped build. But it also made Middleton a third or fourth option and took him out of the game.

So, with the Raps, you can say, hey, Leonard on Giannis works, he should guard him more. But is there a consequence to that? Does that burn out Kawhi? Does it affect other guys psychologically? Does the time he spends on other players take them out of their rhythm? Etc. I think the Raps staff has been wise in how they've effected changes.

Comment

'Too slowly' -
                      Yup. Every time I’m critical of nurse I think there’s a method to the madness. Whereas with previous coaches you’d just scratch your head and wonder what they are thinking.

Comment

'Too slowly' -
                        Oh, 100% agree there is clearly a reason for it, and it's worked out so far. I'm just saying it's been slower than I would like, not necessarily that it would definitely be better if it were done faster.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Oh, 100% agree there is clearly a reason for it, and it's worked out so far. I'm just saying it's been slower than I would like, not necessarily that it would definitely be better if it were done faster.
                          Steve Kerr does this all the time.
                          Especially with Draymond

Comment

• Good thing they didn't fire Nick Nurse a couple games ago, know what I'm saying guys?

Comment

• it's a regular season award so bud has prob already won it it but nick noob's the real coach of the year!

Comment

• He has had his issues as a rookie coach, but man he is a good coach. Whenever Raptors needed key adjustments, he did it and they worked. Threw Kawhi on Butler when necessary, played Ibaka, Gasol and Pascal together against the Sixers and it worked, had Green guard Augustin after Game 1 and he shut him down, threw Kawhi on Giannis and played zone and shut him down. Raptors have the best defense in the Playoffs and hats off to Nick Nurse for making great adjustments.

Comment

Working...
                                X