Everything Nick Nurse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slaw wrote: View Post

Yeah, but what FG% did they shoot? I get it's not necessarily that simple but they created, and missed, a pile of wide, wide open shots that they've been making for a week or more now. They also had 15 turnovers and I'm willing to wager more than half were unforced. I was watching last night with an old basketball hand and he pointed out after he thought outside of the turnovers there was a lot of poor decision-making as well on offense by the Raps, which if true, and I trust his judgment, then it's more on the players than the coach. Nurse also can't keep Lowry from being a bonehead and missing the last few minutes of the game when the offense completely broke down without him on the floor....
    Kerr out coached him yesterday.
    But l stopped worrying about Nurse, now.
    he has already proven his worth.
    he/team will adjust on Wednesday.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
      Nurse really needs to find a way to attack Cousins and Curry. An offensive rating of 104 isn't going to cut it. You have 2 weak links on defense and even then, Golden State wasn't a top ranked defense all year when healthy..... they were 13th. They won last night on guts and guile. And to top that off, they have multiple guys banged up.

Nurse has proven his defensive acumen, now the final act is to show what he was hired for.... his offensive chops. A big part of that should involve Lowry stepping up, perhaps getting switches on Cousins and raining 3's on him or exploiting his limited lateral movement and blowing by him.
      Lowry cannot blow by Cousins. Astonished watching how Lowry could not get by Cousins last night.

Comment

• I don't understand the criticism that Nurse is getting from the Warriors and from the American media for playing box and 1 defense? it fuckin worked. What am i missing here?

I love how innovative Nurse is. NBA is not a zone defense league and yet Nurse used the 3-2 zone defense against the Bucks and guess what? it worked.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
          I don't understand the criticism that Nurse is getting from the Warriors and from the American media for playing box and 1 defense? it fuckin worked. What am i missing here?

I love how innovative Nurse is. NBA is not a zone defense league and yet Nurse used the 3-2 zone defense against the Bucks and guess what? it worked.
          Are they criticizing it?
          They're idiots if they do.
          Coach Nurse should do whatever it takes to win.

Comment

• The impressive thing about the Box and 1 is that it was a reaction to things that happened in this game, not something that was an obvious pre-game adjustment. That wasn't a situation that Nurse knew was going to come up. Instead, it was something that he had his guys ready for in a "just-in-case, let's keep this in our back pocket" scenario, and they executed like the b-squad on my junior high team (which is to say, at a really high level because our box-and-1 was the only way we could stay on the court).

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

Are they criticizing it?
              They're idiots if they do.
              Coach Nurse should do whatever it takes to win.
              Cousins called it janky and AAU defense. He's salty he couldn't score I guess.
              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

Salty for sure.
                It worked, so it's all good.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

That's awesome - If you get the opposing team to be grumpy about your the defence, then the defence did its job. Cousins looked lost out there trying to set up screens for Curry, but FVV was just fighting over and the other guys in the zone would hold their ground. GS looked rattled.

Warriors were very lucky to steal that one. They scored the exact same amount of points on both games 1 and 2 (109), which is quite low for Golden State. The issue last game is that our offensive draughts were too long, but the reality is Golden State had to sweat every single time they played us this year. We won 6 of the last 8 quarters played.

I know things can change in heartbeat, and it's different on the road, but assuming things remain relatively constant, both teams are toe-to-toe here, and the Raptors have a more than a real chance of winning it all here, a lot higher than what I thought at the beginning of the playoffs.

Comment

• Like Steve Kerr before him, Nick Nurse gaining admirers under Finals spotlight

https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/...als-spotlight/
                    Last edited by G__Deane; Tue Jun 4, 2019, 09:12 PM.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                      Like Steve Kerr before him, Nick Nurse gaining admirers under Finals spotlight

https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/...als-spotlight/
                      We're not firing him still this week?
                      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

That's awesome - If you get the opposing team to be grumpy about your the defence, then the defence did its job. Cousins looked lost out there trying to set up screens for Curry, but FVV was just fighting over and the other guys in the zone would hold their ground. GS looked rattled.

Warriors were very lucky to steal that one. They scored the exact same amount of points on both games 1 and 2 (109), which is quite low for Golden State. The issue last game is that our offensive draughts were too long, but the reality is Golden State had to sweat every single time they played us this year. We won 6 of the last 8 quarters played.

I know things can change in heartbeat, and it's different on the road, but assuming things remain relatively constant, both teams are toe-to-toe here, and the Raptors have a more than a real chance of winning it all here, a lot higher than what I thought at the beginning of the playoffs.
                        Draymond also said he watched film and now if he see the box he will "light it up". Seems to me like the warriors are saying everything in the media to hope to try and bait nick into not playing the box again. It will only work if klay is out thought.
                        To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

Draymond also said he watched film and now if he see the box he will "light it up". Seems to me like the warriors are saying everything in the media to hope to try and bait nick into not playing the box again. It will only work if klay is out thought.

If the only real shooter on the court is Curry, bring the box again. Draymond is welcome to "light up" at his fetid 28.5% 3pt shooting.

If you've got Leonard and Gasol at the bottom of the box, with Lowry and Siakam at the top, they will take away a ton of space from GS's offence as well as their lobs. These 4 are all extremely smart defenders, and FVV has been the best individual Curry defender in these playoffs.
                          Last edited by inthepaint; Wed Jun 5, 2019, 01:22 PM.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

If the only real shooter on the court is Curry, bring the box again. Draymond is welcome to "light up" at his fetid 28.5% 3pt shooting.

If you've got Leonard and Gasol at the bottom of the box, with Lowry and Siakam at the top, they will take away a ton of space from GS's offence as well as their lobs. These 4 are all extremely smart defenders, and FVV has been the best individual Curry defender in these playoffs.
                            Ya id be fine with playing it again if klays outs. I think draymond sees that he can drive against the box up the middle and try to score at the rim on kawhi and marc or kick it out to people like iggy, cousins or livingston. I'd be happy with that from a raptors prespective.
                            To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• I was laughing yesterday with all the media puck heads talking about the box like they had ever heard of it before the game
                              You can tell Jeff Balir had the Wiki page open on the monitor in front of him lol

Comment

• Damn. I love Nick Nurse. This guy is all about winning. I still don't understand why people are making fun of the box and 1 defense. It fuckin worked.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X