No announcement yet.

Everything Nick Nurse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerr revolutionized the game by allowing Steph to become a dominant player that he turned into. Mark Jackson had no idea what to do with Steph.

Kerr gets a bad rep because the team was stacked.. but on the other hand the reason why the team was stacked was because of Kerr. Would KD go if they hadn't won and looked like a really fun team to play with?

The league caught up though.

And in Kerr's case, it's not a good look to have the worst record in the league. I know he was missing Curry and Klay for most of the season.. but still. A good coach would find a way to win more games. On the other hand it also sort of confirms that coaching doesn't really matter much.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
      Kerr revolutionized the game by allowing Steph to become a dominant player that he turned into. Mark Jackson had no idea what to do with Steph.

Kerr gets a bad rep because the team was stacked.. but on the other hand the reason why the team was stacked was because of Kerr. Would KD go if they hadn't won and looked like a really fun team to play with?
      that's what i'm saying. people tend to look at things in retrospect, devoid of context, as if players would follow the same evolution under any circumstance. like oh he had four HOFers of course he should have won. well three of them weren't HOFers when he took over, and they won a title and broke the single season win record before the fourth joined them.

it happens all the time when people talk about quarterbacks too. jared goof looks fucking awesome in a system tailor-made for him with a powerhouse O-line and healthy gurley/kupp/woods/cooks weapons. he totally sucks without one or more of those things. in reality he's completely mediocre. not many russell wilson's out there annually making the playoffs and probowls behind porous lines, a running obsessed coach, and with severely limited weapons.

planetmars wrote: View Post
      And in Kerr's case, it's not a good look to have the worst record in the league. I know he was missing Curry and Klay for most of the season.. but still. A good coach would find a way to win more games. On the other hand it also sort of confirms that coaching doesn't really matter much.
      we'll see next year. that team's depth was gutted to acquire KD and they paid way into luxury tax (actually hitting the hard cap!) to keep the few veteran's (namely iggy, livingston) at the expense of what little depth they had. then they lost klay, curry, KD, boogie, iggy, and livingston. it was the biggest joke of a roster after curry went down. basically draymond, russell (who is completely overrated and who they acquired only to flip), and 2nd rounders/undrafted players.

i think they looked at it as a welcome "development" year, opportunity to replenish talent in the draft, and recharge after 5 finals runs. i don't think he suddenly became a shit coach.

edit - jared goof was a typo but i will leave as-is because fuck the rams

Comment

• Not really digging the beard nick

Comment

• So NBA coaches are jealous of Nick Nurse huh? not his fault that he's WAY better than all these bums.
          Last edited by The Great One; Mon Aug 3, 2020, 12:39 PM.
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
            Kerr revolutionized the game by allowing Steph to become a dominant player that he turned into. Mark Jackson had no idea what to do with Steph.

The league caught up though.

Kerr didn't revolutionize anything. He inherited "the greatest shooting back-court in the history of the game". At the time, people seriously mocked Mark Jackson for that comment, but the confidence Jackson instilled into Steph and Klay, along with their natural talent is far greater than anything Kerr ever did.

And the Warriors don't win that first championship without major injury help in every playoff round.

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
              So NBA coaches are jealous of Nick Nurse huh? not his fault that he's WAY better than all these bums.
              That's COY Nick Nurse ...

Comment

• Mark Jackson has flaws but he needs to be taken seriously for the development he did on Steph and Klay.
                Same thing should be said for Kidd's huge contribution on Giannis's development.

Comment

• Coaches are still salty about the way Casey got fired
                  Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• The Milwaukee Bucks‘ Mike Budenholzer and Oklahoma City Thunder‘s Billy Donovan have been named the National Basketball Coaches Association co-coaches of the year, while Toronto Raptors‘ coach Nick Nurse finished just one vote away from forcing a three-way tie, according to ESPN‘s Adrian Wojnarowski.

How does this even make sense?
                    Donovan has coached the Thunder to the sixth spot in the West at 41-24 despite shipping out Russell Westbrook last off-season.

Nurse, meanwhile, has guided the Raptors to a 47-18 record, good for second in the East, after losing Finals MVP Kawhi Leonard to the Los Angeles Clippers in free agency.

And Bud gets credit for continuing to win with one of the best players in the league but Nick doesn't while continuing to win after losing one of the nest players in the game? Maybe it's because Nurse is white

Comment

• Maybe the NBA Coach Of the Year award will rectify this.
                      NBA coaches obviously don't like this rookie-championship-winning-we-the-north guy.

Comment

• He was one vote shy of tieing the other two guys.. that's not bad.. considering there are 29 votes (ie, I'm sure you can't vote for yourself). What Bud has done is remarkable. Same with Donovan. I think Nurse was better, but it's not like a unanimous decision or anything. He fielded a good team that was hurt a lot. But in the same breath, he didn't have a top 10 offense. Didn't do so well against +.500 teams compared to others. Perhaps the expectation was that they'd be bad.. but that's a media interpreted expectation. Maybe in the NBA, teams and coaches just assumed the Raptors were going to be good, even without Kawhi.

With OKC there was an expectation that they would be tanking. With the Bucks you could assume they would take a step back with Brogdon not being there, yet I think they were on pace to have a better record than last year.

I think the media will vote in Nurse though, and that's the more recognizable award in the NBA anyway.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                          Maybe the NBA Coach Of the Year award will rectify this.
                          NBA coaches obviously don't like this rookie-championship-winning-we-the-north guy.
                          Think about the precedent it sets. The coaches union doesn't want GMs thinking that you can fire a 59-win COY and get away with it. On the contrary....Nurse is making Masai look like a genius.

Comment

• "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• I think thunders success has more to do with chris paul being an on court coach then donovan. That being said my top 3 would be nurse, Jenkins, spo
                              To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                                The Milwaukee Bucks‘ Mike Budenholzer and Oklahoma City Thunder‘s Billy Donovan have been named the National Basketball Coaches Association co-coaches of the year, while Toronto Raptors‘ coach Nick Nurse finished just one vote away from forcing a three-way tie, according to ESPN‘s Adrian Wojnarowski.

How does this even make sense?
                                Donovan has coached the Thunder to the sixth spot in the West at 41-24 despite shipping out Russell Westbrook last off-season.

Nurse, meanwhile, has guided the Raptors to a 47-18 record, good for second in the East, after losing Finals MVP Kawhi Leonard to the Los Angeles Clippers in free agency.

And Bud gets credit for continuing to win with one of the best players in the league but Nick doesn't while continuing to win after losing one of the nest players in the game? Maybe it's because Nurse is white
                                Even though the two other guys that won happen to also be white?

Comment

Working...
                                X