Everything Nick Nurse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    Nick seems to be coming around more and more to the whole Birch thing. We've upgraded Birch to that FVV in the chip run role, where Green was just a nominal starter and by halftime Fred was playing with the starters. Just giving up the game and starting him has to be soon I think.

For now Nick is playing the team expertly, able to dig out of early holes by doing sneaky stuff like playing both OG and Fred with the bench for stretches (which essentially puts our starters up against their bench since Birch is out there) and closing games with the right lineups. Against better opposition we may not be able to dig out of those holes, so we'll see how the rotation develops over the next little while.
    I was thinking about this today. Some coaches will start a different player than the next man up when the usual starter is out of the lineup. They do this so that the more important bench player sees his role and rotational minutes stay the same. Could this be what is happening with Birch? When Pascal and Barnes are both healthy does Precious go to the bench replaced as a starter. This way Birch has been perfecting his role as our first big off the bench?
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• Sitting down Dragic is significant.

He thought he can replicate his success with having Lowry and Van Vleet together. That was a big dud. Dragic ain’t Lowry.

Then he threw a bone to Flynn and Champagnie even just in short spurts would go a long long way.

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post

I was thinking about this today. Some coaches will start a different player than the next man up when the usual starter is out of the lineup. They do this so that the more important bench player sees his role and rotational minutes stay the same. Could this be what is happening with Birch? When Pascal and Barnes are both healthy does Precious go to the bench replaced as a starter. This way Birch has been perfecting his role as our first big off the bench?
        This is possible. Just means we are starting small every night, which I am hesitant about, but if that's the direction they are going, sure.

Still, they are starting Svi now, might as well start Birch too. Heck, they are starting Birch in 2nd halves.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post

I think a big part of the reason Birch started on the bench was that he missed most of (all of?) training camp with COVID and then the quarantine, etc. If he had been in camp full time I don't think there's any question he'd be starting now but he likely needed some time to get his sea legs and have some practices, etc. Nurse knows his guys better than us and might just be concerned about killing Precious' confidence by yanking him overnight, plus, they are winning, so you have more leeway on massaging the situation than if they were 2-7.

You could be right but that would assume they knew Barnes and Trent were going to be locks as starters and I don't think that's the case given that Trent started on the bench and Barnes was always going to be a feeling out process. I think it's more just circumstances have conspired in a real positive way and they are left with a bunch of decent bigs who all need PT.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

He will get credit for beating the teams all the pundits put ahead of him. None of them will just admit they just didn't know what they were talking about. The only way the talking heads can make themselves look better is to credit Nurse with an unexpected season of genius decision making.
            That is kind of a disservice to Nick. Very few people expected us to be this good because arguably our best player is out and we are pretty young.

To do what we are doing while starting a rookie, playing a second rounder key late game minutes… Nurse should get a huge amount of credit imo, and not just because it makes pundits feel better. Because he actually deserves it.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post

That is kind of a disservice to Nick. Very few people expected us to be this good because arguably our best player is out and we are pretty young.

To do what we are doing while starting a rookie, playing a second rounder key late game minutes… Nurse should get a huge amount of credit imo, and not just because it makes pundits feel better. Because he actually deserves it.
              I would have made a killing the last 7 years betting the Over on Raptors win total before the season...and betting the under on the Celtics
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post

I don't disagree. But the whole direction the team is taking is the result of a brain trust, I assume. The quality of the players is a tribute to the scouting department and the front office. Nick certainly deserves credit. I give him a ton of credit. It would be interesting to know where the "long and strong" idea came from and who was driving it, or was it a "brain trust" decision?

Comment

Just means we are starting small every night, which I am hesitant about, but if that's the direction they are going, sure.

I am ok as well

Comment

Nick seems to be coming around more and more to the whole Birch thing. We've upgraded Birch to that FVV in the chip run role, where Green was just a nominal starter and by halftime Fred was playing with the starters. Just giving up the game and starting him has to be soon I think.

For now Nick is playing the team expertly, able to dig out of early holes by doing sneaky stuff like playing both OG and Fred with the bench for stretches (which essentially puts our starters up against their bench since Birch is out there) and closing games with the right lineups. Against better opposition we may not be able to dig out of those holes, so we'll see how the rotation develops over the next little while.
                    I think Nurse likes bringing Birch off the bench because that will be his role when Siakam and Barnes come back and Precious moves to the bench. Precious needs development and these starter minutes will be great for him later on. We did the same thing with Siakam his first season.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

I think Nurse likes bringing Birch off the bench because that will be his role when Siakam and Barnes come back and Precious moves to the bench. Precious needs development and these starter minutes will be great for him later on. We did the same thing with Siakam his first season.
                      I'm not convinced those starter minutes are of any more value to Precious than bench minutes would be. I'd certainly prefer a whole season of bench minutes versus a month a starter games and then never seeing the floor again.

Nurse might like bringing Birch off the bench but he's already abandoned that in second halves of late. I imagine Svi will come off the bench when we are healthy but that hasn't stopped him from starting in Scottie's absence.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I'm not convinced those starter minutes are of any more value to Precious than bench minutes would be. I'd certainly prefer a whole season of bench minutes versus a month a starter games and then never seeing the floor again.

Nurse might like bringing Birch off the bench but he's already abandoned that in second halves of late. I imagine Svi will come off the bench when we are healthy but that hasn't stopped him from starting in Scottie's absence.
                        So what you're saying is that we are wasting Precious time?

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

So what you're saying is that we are wasting Precious time?
                          "Get that gahbage outta heah"

Actually, luvin' it.

Comment

• Defensively, how do Achiuwa and Birch compare? No evidence to back it up, but I have this impression of Birch being "soft" on defense in comparison.

Comment

Svi needs development too, young inexperienced guy. Birch not so much. Siakam will be one starting C when he's back most likely and Precious will be fighting Boucher for bench PF/C minutes.

Comment

I think if the organization see Precious as a long term part of this young core, then the starters minutes would be valuable to build chemistry with the rest of the dudes. I guess it all comes down to how they view precious as a long term part of building with these guys. By Masai and Bobbys account they have been high on him since before the draft so maybe they have a longer term plan then precious and are willing to sacrifice a few wins to develop him
                                To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

Working...
                                X