Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

should lebron be allowed to own a team?
    Important to remember that Michael jordan has approximately 4x the net worth of lebron, and he also bought his franchise when it was $275 just 12 years ago and it was 1.3 billion today.

Much like Toronto real estate is now tough to acquire on a six figure salary, nba majority ownership is tough to achieve on a 9 figure net worth.
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

should lebron be allowed to own a team?
      Sure, you can't stifle free enterprise.
      But owning a team while owning a sports agency should raise eyebrows. But so should significant say in a sports agency while you're a player. It's a bad look on fairness and the NBA imo.

And to be clear, he would be the headline owner of a team but a minority owner; he's rich but not NBA-owner rich. Think Derek Jeter.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Important to remember that Michael jordan has approximately 4x the net worth of lebron, and he also bought his franchise when it was $275 just 12 years ago and it was 1.3 billion today.

Much like Toronto real estate is now tough to acquire on a six figure salary, nba majority ownership is tough to achieve on a 9 figure net worth.
        Lebron needs his own brand like MJ to get that rich, but I don't think it would be nearly as popular. Jordan still makes $130M+ per year from Jordan brand and other endorsement deals. Who knows what he makes from owning the Hornets (he has a 97% stake) but it's probably a lot as well.

Everyone wants to be like Mike, very few want to be like Lebron.

Lebron would need to be part of an ownership group to buy a team, he won't be able to buy one straight up like MJ did.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if LeBron passes MJ in net worth when it's all said and done, but I'm guessing the $850 he's sitting on right now will be able to get him a share of some franchise if and when he's ready to be an owner of an NBA team.

He bought a share of Liverpool FC for something like $6M a few years ago and that same share is now worth over $40M. I'm sure he has a whole lot of these sort of ventures and more to come with all those connections with the Hollywood elite in LA-La land.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if LeBron passes MJ in net worth when it's all said and done, but I'm guessing the $850 he's sitting on right now will be able to get him a share of some franchise if and when he's ready to be an owner of an NBA team.

He bought a share of Liverpool FC for something like $6M a few years ago and that same share is now worth over $40M. I'm sure he has a whole lot of these sort of ventures and more to come with all those connections with the Hollywood elite in LA-La land.
            Michael Jordan was making peanuts until the last 2 years of his NBA contract. Most of his money came from endorsements during his career.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/washingt...cash-earnings/

Lebron is way ahead of the game and earning way more buck thanks to bigger inflated contracts, endorsements and various business ventures and investments. Lebron will pass MJ in net worth and I believe Lebron has bigger ambitions than MJ (like going into politics and not only owning a franchise but owning the NBA all together - which will probably destroy the NBA ).

Comment

I have no doubt he could pass MJ when its said and done, the biggest obstacle in his way is the soaring prices of sports team ownership. It was an exclusive club, its now an ultra exclusive billionaires club. The LEAST valuable team In the nba right now is the new Orleans pelicans and they're worth twice lebrons net worth. By the time him and maverick and rich could even think afford them on their own, they'll be worth double that.
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

I have no doubt he could pass MJ when its said and done, the biggest obstacle in his way is the soaring prices of sports team ownership. It was an exclusive club, its now an ultra exclusive billionaires club. The LEAST valuable team In the nba right now is the new Orleans pelicans and they're worth twice lebrons net worth. By the time him and maverick and rich could even think afford them on their own, they'll be worth double that.
                Yeah I don't think he'll be a majority owner right away. Probably buy a share like Wade did with Utah. He can have it written into his next contract with Cleveland

Comment

Yeah I don't think he'll be a majority owner right away. Probably buy a share like Wade did with Utah. He can have it written into his next contract with Cleveland
                  That's one place they'd probably give it and fans there would welcome it. Bronny, lebron and then slide into minority ownership in retirement with a promise that all Clutch clients would get a preferential push....

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

Michael Jordan was making peanuts until the last 2 years of his NBA contract. Most of his money came from endorsements during his career.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/washingt...cash-earnings/

Lebron is way ahead of the game and earning way more buck thanks to bigger inflated contracts, endorsements and various business ventures and investments. Lebron will pass MJ in net worth and I believe Lebron has bigger ambitions than MJ (like going into politics and not only owning a franchise but owning the NBA all together - which will probably destroy the NBA ).
                    'Owning the NBA all together '?
                    How is that even possible?

There are tons of billionaire team owners in the NBA which will not allow this to happen.
                    Even the mega rich Elon Musk is having a tough time owning Twitter.

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

'Owning the NBA all together '?
                      How is that even possible?

There are tons of billionaire team owners in the NBA which will not allow this to happen.
                      Even the mega rich Elon Musk is having a tough time owning Twitter.
                      I imagine the only way to "own" the NBA would be to have a majority share in at least half the teams. Even that wouldn't do it technically, but would give the person or group a rather lopsided influence over all the teams and thus the league. Basically, impossible. Owners wouldn't allow it to happen, at some point refusing to sell their shares to the interested party in order to prevent a monopoly.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post

I imagine the only way to "own" the NBA would be to have a majority share in at least half the teams. Even that wouldn't do it technically, but would give the person or group a rather lopsided influence over all the teams and thus the league. Basically, impossible. Owners wouldn't allow it to happen, at some point refusing to sell their shares to the interested party in order to prevent a monopoly.
                        Owning / having shares in multiple teams is also unethical over conflict of interest, reminiscent of the David Braley situation.

Comment

I don't see how Lebron passes MJ when MJ makes more per year than Lebron does. MJ earns more from his ownership in Jordan Brand and other endorsement deals than Lebron does from his NBA salary plus endorsements.

I also think LeBrons endorsements will dry up when his playing career is done in a few years. People don't like him.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

I don't see how Lebron passes MJ when MJ makes more per year than Lebron does. MJ earns more from his ownership in Jordan Brand and other endorsement deals than Lebron does from his NBA salary plus endorsements.

I also think LeBrons endorsements will dry up when his playing career is done in a few years. People don't like him.
                            You don't think LeBron has other investments outside of endorsements or basketball related ventures? I would have thought he's involved in all kinds of things like real estate, tech companies etc. I'm sure Jordan does as well but there are probably more opportunities for LeBron now than there were for Jordan back then. That's why I feel like "in time" he will surpass MJ's net worth.

Comment

You don't think LeBron has other investments outside of endorsements or basketball related ventures? I would have thought he's involved in all kinds of things like real estate, tech companies etc. I'm sure Jordan does as well but there are probably more opportunities for LeBron now than there were for Jordan back then. That's why I feel like "in time" he will surpass MJ's net worth.
                              Seems like MJ has good business instinct.
                              I also doubt LeBron will catch up to him.
                              Both of them has access to the same opportunities. And Jordan being more popular and having built a good foundation has the presumed advantage.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ins...y-2015-3%3famp
                              Last edited by Kagemusha; Wed Apr 13, 2022, 02:50 PM.

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

Seems like MJ has good business instinct.
                                I also doubt LeBron will catch up to him.
                                Both of them has access to the sale opportunities. And Jordan being more popular and having built a good foundation has the presumed advantage.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ins...y-2015-3%3famp
                                I think the $1.6B estimate for Jordan's wealth is low. What are they valuing the Hornets at? They're easily worth over $2B and Jordan owns 97%. Then you add in Jordan brand and everything else he's gotta be closer to $3B.

Comment

Working...
                                X