Everything Nick Nurse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great One wrote: View Post

I mean, how am I wrong? Masai just did an interview that he was inspired to build around 6'9 guys after watching Coach K run a practice lol.

Drafting Caboclo, drafting or signing big PG's like Wright and Stone....these all happened during the CASEY era.

As for that link that you posted, Masai is the boss is he not? He obviously relayed his vision to Nurse and Nurse just ran with it.

Again, that link that Mixx posted, that's the proof.
    Proof, lol. That Team USA practice would have been like a decade ago. Since then, we went though the entire Lowry era and midget starting backcourts before we even took a sniff at Vision 6'9". Julyan Stone? lmao. Masai brought in guys like CoJo, DJ Augustin, Fred, Lorenzo Brown, Terence Davis, Matt Thomas, Armoni Brooks, Jeremy Lin, Lou Will and drafted Malachi, Powell, Johnson, etc...

They only recently started building the roster and actually executing on Vision 6'9" in earnest after Nurse won COY because they believed in his genius switching defensive schemes to force turnovers and generate extra possessions.
    Last edited by golden; Sun Mar 12, 2023, 04:05 PM.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Proof, lol. That Team USA practice would have been like a decade ago. Since then, we went though the entire Lowry era and midget starting backcourts before we even took a sniff at Vision 6'9". Julyan Stone? lmao. Masai brought in guys like CoJo, DJ Augustin, Fred, Lorenzo Brown, Lou Will and drafted Malachi, Powell, Johnson, etc...

They only recently started building the roster and actually executing on Vision 6'9" in earnest after Nurse won COY because they believed in his genius switching defensive schemes to force turnovers and generate extra possessions.
      This whole thing or experiment started with Bruno. Vision 6'9 started in 2014(Bruno's draft year) How do I know that it started in 2014? Masai in that article mentioned Rudy Gay. Gay was added to Team USA in 2014. The practice that he was talking about was the FIBA World Cup practice which Gay was a part of.

And as for the names that you mentioned, of course you can't have a 15 man roster full of 6'9 guys. Most NBA PG's are 6'3 and below. C'mon man.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

This whole thing or experiment started with Bruno. Vision 6'9 started in 2014(Bruno's draft year) How do I know that it started in 2014? Masai in that article mentioned Rudy Gay. Gay was added to Team USA in 2014. The practice that he was talking about was the FIBA World Cup practice which Gay was a part of.

And as for the names that you mentioned, of course you can't have a 15 man roster full of 6'9 guys. Most NBA PG's are 6'3 and below. C'mon man.
        2014 is exactly my point. You’re doing a great job arguing against yourself. We went through the entire Lowry era and starting 2 PGs after 2014. We traded Bruno for Malachi Richardson, which effectively ended that experiment. And we brought in a ton of guys 6’4” and smaller since 2014.

Vision 6’9” didn’t take off until Nurse, who actually put it in the floor in 2018 and leaned into it more and more after the chip. They thought they found something special last year with the 48-win season, but Nurse’s systems were exposed as fools gold.

Comment

• We didn't start 2 PGs after 2014...We had Derozan at the 2. All Masai's picks during Casey's era were either tall or had super long wingspan. Pascal and OG were drafted during Casey
          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• We started 2 pgs with Nurse. Lowry and FVV
            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
              We didn't start 2 PGs after 2014...We had Derozan at the 2.
              Exactly. There was no vision 6’9” back then. It was just work with the best players we had. T-Rex trying to act like Masai has been forcing the full-blown positionless concept onto coaches since 2014. It started recently, with Nurse fully on board, if not asking for it.

Comment

2014 is exactly my point. You’re doing a great job arguing against yourself. We went through the entire Lowry era and starting 2 PGs after 2014. We traded Bruno for Malachi Richardson, which effectively ended that experiment. And we brought in a ton of guys 6’4” and smaller since 2014.

Vision 6’9” didn’t take off until Nurse, who actually put it in the floor in 2018 and leaned into it more and more after the chip. They thought they found something special last year with the 48-win season, but Nurse’s systems were exposed as fools gold.
                Doesn't matter that he traded Bruno lol. This whole discussion is who started vision 6'9. The answer is Masai.

And what do you mean the experiment ended after the Bruno trade? Hernandez, Boucher, Watson, Bembry, Stanley, RHJ, Gillespie. Etc..all these guys were added or drafted after the Bruno trade.

Also, look at Masai's free agent signings and draft picks since 2014. Just off the top of my head: Bebe, Stone, Siakam, OG, Wright, Biyombo etc...

What do they all have in common? they're either really tall or have long wing span. And most of these players that I mentioned were drafted or signed during the Dwane Casey era.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Lol. Nick Nurse is not to blame for the front office’s guiding philosophy anymore than Bobby Webster is responsible for Nurse’s inability to use timeouts or challenges.

Comment

Doesn't matter that he traded Bruno lol. This whole discussion is who started vision 6'9. The answer is Masai.

And what do you mean the experiment ended after the Bruno trade? Hernandez, Boucher, Watson, Bembry, Stanley, RHJ, Gillespie. Etc..all these guys were added or drafted after the Bruno trade.

Also, look at Masai's free agent signings and draft picks since 2014. Just off the top of my head: Bebe, Stone, Siakam, OG, Wright, Biyombo etc...

What do they all have in common? they're either really tall or have long wing span. And most of these players that I mentioned were drafted or signed during the Dwane Casey era.
                    Add all the 6’4” and under guys I mentioned, who you conveniently left off, and that’s a normal distribution of guard, wings and bigs size we were bringing in for an NBA roster…. until recently under Nurse.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                      Lol. Nick Nurse is not to blame for the front office’s guiding philosophy anymore than Bobby Webster is responsible for Nurse’s inability to use timeouts or challenges.
                      Not blaming Nurse at all, but people are delusional if they think that an elite front office like the Raptors are forcing players onto a coach without his input as to how they will fit his system.

It’s the front office’s fault for believing in those systems and the coaches boast about being able to teach shooting to those guys who fit his systems.

Comment

• Has any member of the raptors front office or coaching staff ever used the phrase "vision 6'9" or is this just a narrative? Yes, Mass like versatile, long players. He also has acquired players who are not particularly long, and not 6'9"

Comment

• Quirk wrote: View Post
                          Has any member of the raptors front office or coaching staff ever used the phrase "vision 6'9" or is this just a narrative? Yes, Mass like versatile, long players. He also has acquired players who are not particularly long, and not 6'9"
                          Masai basically says as much here. While also acknowledging that he will not ONLY acquire tall, long players, but that is his main goal.

Comment

• NeedTristanThompson wrote: View Post

Masai basically says as much here. While also acknowledging that he will not ONLY acquire tall, long players, but that is his main goal.
                            Its a good theory maybe. Think he forgot to get guys that can shoot though. Oops

Comment

• Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post

Its a good theory maybe. Think he forgot to get guys that can shoot though. Oops
                              Maybe. I really hope there's more grounding for it than just "I saw all these guys with long arms and thought that would work well" though.

And yes, it seems like perhaps more than just long arms are needed for a good basketball team. Kind of makes sense. Didn't Masai learn this already with the failed Bruno thing???

What about: ONLY super long guys who can shoot and we can teach them defense later. That sounds like a good team. SHOOTERS 6'9

Comment

Nothing here show it was Nurse's idea.
                                In fact the previous post pretty much shows it was Masai's inspiration and Nurse bought in.

Regardless of the revolving and yet repetitive blame game, the roster is still lacking, we need shooters and I think we can all agree that Pascal hasn't moved in the top 5-10 NBA player that he himself forecast. I'm not sure he's top 20

Comment

Working...
                                X