Raptors starting line up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DanH wrote: View Post
    And they got there by acquiring a PF when they had like 39 PFs already.

Plus Ibaka is definitely totally a centre now, for sure.

Ibaka plus Norm for Zach Randolph works, barely (based on some quick late night math). Throw in our 2019 2nd to make the deal sound better.
    What is your rationale for this deal? Just freeing up future cap space?

Unless you think the extra space next season helps keep Kawhi by aquiring another player I think you just stand pat.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
      Capella/Serg/Siakam
      OG/Siakam/Serg/Miles
      Kawhi/OG/Miles/Green
      Delon/Green/FFV
      Kyle/FVV/Delon/Alfonzo

That is a dangerous starting lineup/rotation
      I feel like MU has one more trick up his sleeve.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
        If they don't want to resign him to 20+ a season, can we move JV and Norm for Capella and spare parts?
        Part of the challenge with evaluating how much Capella should be paid, is how much of his performance is related to the Rockets offensive system, and how much is Capella's talent. Because he's an RFA, teams would have to likely significantly overpay for Capella's services to get Houston to decline to match. So if he signed an offer sheet worth $20M with Sacramento (the only team with cap room left), would he put up $20M worth of value, or, in a very different offensive system, would his contract then be an albatross - it makes other teams more than a little wary.

At this point, guessing Capella will sign his Qualifying Offer, and then enter the UFA market next offseason. Rather than pay him $20M a season, the Rockets may figure that they can get comparable production from someone like Dwayne Dedmon for $8M/year.

Next year's centre UFA class has DeAndre Jordan, Kanter, Both Lopez', Vucevic, Chandler, Gortat, Koufos, Dedmon, Marjanovic, Howard, Cousins, Ajinca, O'Quinn, Pachulia, Zeller, and Mejri - and that's not counting a number of players who are listed as Power Forward, who could also be considered to play center.

Comment

Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
          Part of the challenge with evaluating how much Capella should be paid, is how much of his performance is related to the Rockets offensive system, and how much is Capella's talent. Because he's an RFA, teams would have to likely significantly overpay for Capella's services to get Houston to decline to match. So if he signed an offer sheet worth $20M with Sacramento (the only team with cap room left), would he put up $20M worth of value, or, in a very different offensive system, would his contract then be an albatross - it makes other teams more than a little wary.

At this point, guessing Capella will sign his Qualifying Offer, and then enter the UFA market next offseason. Rather than pay him $20M a season, the Rockets may figure that they can get comparable production from someone like Dwayne Dedmon for $8M/year.

Next year's centre UFA class has DeAndre Jordan, Kanter, Both Lopez', Vucevic, Chandler, Gortat, Koufos, Dedmon, Marjanovic, Howard, Cousins, Ajinca, O'Quinn, Pachulia, Zeller, and Mejri - and that's not counting a number of players who are listed as Power Forward, who could also be considered to play center.
          In today’s nba I would take Capela over JV only because we could build a defensive juggernaut if Houston knows they can’t keep him then they would want value for him. Also I would gladly take him into rebuild era if Kawhi doesn’t resign

Comment

I have no idea what the starting lineup looks like but minutes could go like this. Lowry, FVV and Delon could split 96 minutes of PG/SG (with a few going to Green). Kawhi, OG, Green and Miles take up the 96 minutes of the SF/PF spot (with some going to Siakim). Serge and JV take the 48 minutes of centre (with some going to Siakim again). Not sure this adds much to the conversation. I'm also not sure how Danny Green fits in yet without seeing a bit more of him. Definitely some luxuries there. You could have Kawhi and OG on at the same time and suffocate anyone's attempt at offense or you could stagger them and then no opposing player would every get a break. Please let Kawhi's quad be ok.

Comment

If we're planning for a run to the finals, I would rather have JV than Capela. He can physically match up with Cousins (GSW is like 99.8% the team that will come out of the West). Capela would get bullied around. He's a great shotblocker and athletic defender, but he's limited offensively, skinny, and he can't shoot FTs, which could be an issue in the playoffs.

People should worry less about inside D. We should finally have very good to elite perimeter D for the first time ever, and JV showed great strides last year defensively. We don't need JV to be a DPOY kind of C, we have a DPOY wing now who will funnel guys to him and Ibaka, and do a better job fighting through screens to reduce switches...and like 10 other good perimeter defenders. Like almost actually...OG, Pascal, Green, Delon, Lowry, FVV, Norm. So counting Kawhi, that is 8 guys. Miles is bad but won't kill you (unless you try to put him on PFs in the post). That is ridiculous.

However it's not the most physical group, and having JV behind them to clean up the glass and provide physicality is a good thing. If you want to match up small, then just do that. We have enough guys to put Pascal or Ibaka at C for spurts. Just get a decent enough backup (and maybe if you're really worried, try and find one who is more mobile/athletic than JV).

*Oh and this C supposedly built for the modern game was not much of a factor at all against small-ball GSW this year, so I don't know why I want him for that matchup now that when they're not small they'll also have a physical monster like Cousins.
              Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Jul 20, 2018, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Right now I'm looking at the Kings and Hawks to potentially help us balance our roster out a bit.

Delon is basically surplus to requirements right now and Norm is never going to see the floor. Thanks to adding another SG in Danny Green, we have 4 guys to handle the 2-3 spots (Kawhi, Miles, OG, Green) even if FVV and Lowry play zero minutes there (which won't be the case). Not to mention that Delon is an RFA at the end of the year, and it will be hard to gauge how much to sign him for anyway.

I'd offer Delon+Powell to the Kings for Kosta Koufos and also to the Hawks for DeWayne Dedmon. Both guys are expiring ($8.9M and $7.2M respectively) and both deals would reduce our tax bill by a decent amount. Both Koufos and Dedmon are solid defenders with great size, who would be nice insurance policies for JV (since he's basically our only true bigman defender right now) and could play 15 minutes per game behind him and be effective.

I think the Kings would be more interested in such a deal since they don't have a backup PG for De'Aaron Fox (and Delon is almost a like-for-like replacement for him when he comes on), really lack good wings, and have way too many centers. Not to mention they didn't even choose to bring Koufos back, he just picked up his player option.

Our depth chart then looks really solid with us being 2-deep at each spot:

PG: Lowry/FVV
                SG: Green/Miles
                SF: Kawhi/OG
                PF: Ibaka/Siakam
                C: Jonas/Koufos

I'm really not sure if Nurse will opt to start Green/Kawhi or Kawhi/OG or start all 3 of them with Ibaka coming off the bench. I think OG's value would be somewhat diminished coming off the bench, but at the same time you look at the potential of an FVV-Miles-OG-Siakam-Koufos lineup on the defensive end and that's really scary what they could do (assuming we still keep using all-bench lineups like we did last year).

Personally I'd go with the lineup I posted and then close games with Lowry-Green-Kawhi-OG and then the center would depend on the situation. If we're up against a legit big like a Whiteside or Drummond I go with JV to battle them on the glass. If we need more offense/spacing I go with Ibaka for his shooting ability. If it's game 4 of the NBA finals and we're trying to finish off a sweep of GS I go with Siakam for switchability against the Hamptons 5.

Comment

Eh Wright has a lot more value than a mediocre backup center in my opinion. Anyone who is a good playmaker, shooter, defender and switchable should be kept around. He's just so versatile I think you have to keep him around.

I really think there shouldn't be a big rush to shuffle around the roster for a backup center. At this point its just injury assurance for JV and Serge, cause I think Serge should play most of his minutes at the 4 anyways.

Would much rather be overly deep with good 2 way guards and wings than centers tbh

Comment

Yeah, I don't think anyone else in our current 10-man rotation is going to be moved this summer. Norm is the only guy I could see being shipped out
                    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                      Eh Wright has a lot more value than a mediocre backup center in my opinion. Anyone who is a good playmaker, shooter, defender and switchable should be kept around. He's just so versatile I think you have to keep him around.

I really think there shouldn't be a big rush to shuffle around the roster for a backup center. At this point its just injury assurance for JV and Serge, cause I think Serge should play most of his minutes at the 4 anyways.

Would much rather be overly deep with good 2 way guards and wings than centers tbh
                      His value there isn't just a mediocre backup center. We're also using his value to offload Norm's contract.

Comment

Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                        His value there isn't just a mediocre backup center. We're also using his value to offload Norm's contract.
                        That feels like an overpay. Atlanta is tanking and Sacramento still looks like they're run pretty badly.

Just attach a 2nd round pick instead of Delon. Atlanta may take it given the tank job they're trying to do. We need to be 3 deep at PG (Brown doesn't count) in case of an injury to any of them, and Delon is one of our more versatile players in general.

Norm's contract is what it is. Move him if you can and add something in the process if you can, but don't attach anything more than 2nd rounders to do it. Norm isn't toxic or anything.

Comment

Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                          I mean I wouldn't feel pressed to offload Norm until there is a reason to, which currently there isn't. Plus Norm still has potential to salvage his value and be a decent piece, honestly think its best to wait a bit before making any deals.

Wings are so much more important than bigs right now, Raps have never had enough really good wings, lets see how this goes.

EDIT: Plus if a main reason for this move is getting rid of Norm, the cost will be lower next offseason when most teams have cap space.

Comment

I’m assuming we can’t trade a 2nd due to the 1st round being protected?

Comment

Alex91 wrote: View Post
                              I’m assuming we can’t trade a 2nd due to the 1st round being protected?
                              We can trade a 2019 2nd. The 2019 1st converts to a 2020 and 2021 2nd, so those two are off limits until the 2019 1st is officially handed over.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                                What is your rationale for this deal? Just freeing up future cap space?

Unless you think the extra space next season helps keep Kawhi by aquiring another player I think you just stand pat.
                                Freeing up future flexibility, getting a solid backup C, dramatically reducing current costs, clarifying rotation (which is currently jammed). Could really help with keeping Delon past next season.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X