Announcement

Collapse

Raptors Republic Android & iOS App

Hey guys and gals,

We're running a, how should I say, pilot or beta version of our new Raptors Republic app. We haven't made it official as we're still trying to work out some bugs while improving the user interface. So, its not the final version so expect to see more changes over the next while.

Anyhow, please feel free to download. Available on both Android & iPhone. It's absolutely free.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rsrepublic.app

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6946?ls=1&mt=8

If we could ask a favour though. We're welcoming feedback and suggestions on perhaps things you'd like to see. At the end of the day we're doing this for you guys by making everything here easier available for you the user. Please send your feedback (Regardless if its positive or negative) to raptorsrepublic@gmail.com.

Thanks in advance and we hope you guys enjoy the application.
See more
See less

Everything Playoffs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Have to love sports... everyone sees it a touch differently ... and no one (unless your angel hernandez) is wrong.

    Comment


    • I think the Brown/Tatum tandem is going to take a step back year. They won't have as much opportunity if Hayward is healthy all year. Remember Hayward got around 30mpg in his last year with Utah.. but was closer to 35mpg in his early years.

      For Tatum, it's hard to pull of an amazing sophomore year after a crazy good rookie year. He's capable of it, but I'm skeptical.

      Ultimately though it comes down to Horford for me. He's their Lowry. If Horford is healthy the Celtics will be good. If Horford goes down with any type of injury for an extended period of time.. they won't be as good.

      Ultimately I'm hoping for a Boston/Toronto playoff match-up. Would be really exciting. Hope we get a chance to see it.

      Comment


      • ESPN with their "Expert" predictions.

        http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...nce-nba-champs

        15 picking Boston, Raptors next with 5 and Philly 2. However what exactly are these "experts" expert at? Broad range, most are storytellers who write about the human aspect of the game, but only superficial nuts and bolts knowledge.

        Although there's a few who I have no clue who/what they are, there's only 3 of those "experts" whose opinions I actually respect : Marks, Pelton and Schmitz. And unsurprisingly those are 3 of the 5 who are picking the Raptors to win the East.
        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

        Comment


        • 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
          ESPN with their "Expert" predictions.

          http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...nce-nba-champs

          15 picking Boston, Raptors next with 5 and Philly 2. However what exactly are these "experts" expert at? Broad range, most are storytellers who write about the human aspect of the game, but only superficial nuts and bolts knowledge.

          Although there's a few who I have no clue who/what they are, there's only 3 of those "experts" whose opinions I actually respect : Marks, Pelton and Schmitz. And unsurprisingly those are 3 of the 5 who are picking the Raptors to win the East.
          If I'm being honest with myself, I give the Celtics the edge over our Raps. But we'd have a puncher's chance, and it would be a helluva battle.

          But the sixers?

          Last edited by JimiCliff; Fri Oct 12th, 2018, 11:04 AM.
          "Stop eating your sushi."
          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
          - Jack Armstrong

          Comment


          • JimiCliff wrote: View Post
            If I'm being honest with myself, I give the Celtics the edge over our Raps. But we'd have a puncher's chance, and it would be a helluva battle.
            I honestly have us ahead. We were better than them last year. Both teams have young guys improving. They added Gordon Hayward, but was he needed or become somewhat redundant? We added Kawhi Leonard over Demar Derozan which was absolutely a huge need (shooting, A+ defense) and actually somehow when acquiring those needs got an even better scorer than Derozan (theres maybe a dozen of those guys in the world)
            It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

            Comment


            • KeonClark wrote: View Post
              I honestly have us ahead. We were better than them last year. Both teams have young guys improving. They added Gordon Hayward, but was he needed or become somewhat redundant? We added Kawhi Leonard over Demar Derozan which was absolutely a huge need (shooting, A+ defense) and actually somehow when acquiring those needs got an even better scorer than Derozan (theres maybe a dozen of those guys in the world)
              Speaking of rotations, my not-so-bold prediction is that Hayward is coming off the bench at some point this season.....

              If they're healthy, then I like the Celts better than Toronto but that's a big question mark when you're relying on Hayward and Irving to play 65+ games and be there, fully healthy, in the playoffs. Top of the East could be real interesting if the best 3 teams stay healthy.

              Comment


              • slaw wrote: View Post
                Speaking of rotations, my not-so-bold prediction is that Hayward is coming off the bench at some point this season.....

                If they're healthy, then I like the Celts better than Toronto but that's a big question mark when you're relying on Hayward and Irving to play 65+ games and be there, fully healthy, in the playoffs. Top of the East could be real interesting if the best 3 teams stay healthy.
                Yep. People don't realize how hard it is to integrate > 25% USG guys to your roster and expect them to produce at the level they did before. That's why most of these all-star big 3's usually don't work. Just quickly adding up the most recent playoff usage of: Kyrie (30)/Brown (25)/Tatum (23)/Hayward (28)/Horford (19).... that's 125%. Somebody's going to be sub-optimized, if that's your starting 5. That said... Celts could have a heck of a bench.

                Comment


                • golden wrote: View Post
                  Yep. People don't realize how hard it is to integrate > 25% USG guys to your roster and expect them to produce at the level they did before. That's why most of these all-star big 3's usually don't work. Just quickly adding up the most recent playoff usage of: Kyrie (30)/Brown (25)/Tatum (23)/Hayward (28)/Horford (19).... that's 125%. Somebody's going to be sub-optimized, if that's your starting 5. That said... Celts could have a heck of a bench.
                  You raise a good point about usage. You can only play 5 guys at a time, not seven. Bump a couple of ex-high usage guys to the bench and your coaching stategy becomes clear. Shut down the ex-high usage guys. Then you are talking about excellence of your defensive execution. And how is your roster going to perfrom in the playoffs?

                  We'll know more in about 20 games. Ball don't lie.

                  Comment


                  • Puffer wrote: View Post
                    You raise a good point about usage. You can only play 5 guys at a time, not seven. Bump a couple of ex-high usage guys to the bench and your coaching stategy becomes clear. Shut down the ex-high usage guys. Then you are talking about excellence of your defensive execution. And how is your roster going to perfrom in the playoffs?

                    We'll know more in about 20 games. Ball don't lie.
                    Rozier and Smart are also + defenders. Kyrie, although an amazing offensive talent, is not. Working him back in the lineup might change some things as well. Boston is good, but so are we. It will be a fun matchup nonetheless.

                    Comment


                    • KeonClark wrote: View Post
                      I honestly have us ahead. We were better than them last year. Both teams have young guys improving. They added Gordon Hayward, but was he needed or become somewhat redundant? We added Kawhi Leonard over Demar Derozan which was absolutely a huge need (shooting, A+ defense) and actually somehow when acquiring those needs got an even better scorer than Derozan (theres maybe a dozen of those guys in the world)
                      The achilles heel of this Raps team will be scoring. (*Ducks under desk*.) For the most part, it won't matter. At the end of playoff games against Boston, it will. They have more polish in this respect, so I have them ahead.
                      "Stop eating your sushi."
                      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                      - Jack Armstrong

                      Comment


                      • JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                        The achilles heel of this Raps team will be scoring. (*Ducks under desk*.) For the most part, it won't matter. At the end of playoff games against Boston, it will. They have more polish in this respect, so I have them ahead.
                        We're hoping Nurse's "brilliant offensive mind" will help shrink the gap.

                        Comment


                        • JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                          The achilles heel of this Raps team will be scoring. (*Ducks under desk*.) For the most part, it won't matter. At the end of playoff games against Boston, it will. They have more polish in this respect, so I have them ahead.
                          I can see what your saying..but Raps have some polished scorers as well.
                          Leonard is pretty polished under pressure. He has been there and done that and bought the Tshirt as the saying goes. CJ Miles has had a good preseason and he is in great shape and ready to go. Don't underestimate a newborn in the house and lots of dental work not having a pretty big impact on you. Kyle shook off the "can't play in the playoffs" label last year. He can get his shot if the play breaks down. FVV is also ready for prime time and isnt afraid to take the shot if its close.

                          Irving is a very polished scorer and has been there and done that as well.... Tatum isn't going to sneak up on anyone this year. Defenses will be ready for him as the 2nd option after Irving. Its a step up in class for him... lets see how he responds. Horford is pretty dependable as the 2nd or 3rd option as well. I like Brown as a crunch time player. Rozier and Smart are not guys you would feel comfortable with taking the shot with the game on the line.

                          What about Gord ? Well thats the question that is going to swirl around the TD Garden for a while. Hayward doesn't look like he is all the way back as advertised and the expectations on him are huge. He has had a meh preseason. Lots of time to go... but funny you still hear the "is Kawahi going to be healthy shit still out there.. where there is not to much being written about Gord.

                          It looks to be more of a match race this year in the east.... Raps n Chowda.
                          Last edited by Demographic Shift; Fri Oct 12th, 2018, 03:16 PM.

                          Comment


                          • JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                            The achilles heel of this Raps team will be scoring. (*Ducks under desk*.) For the most part, it won't matter. At the end of playoff games against Boston, it will. They have more polish in this respect, so I have them ahead.
                            Why do you say that though? We had a much better offense than Boston last year, and improved it this year
                            It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                            Comment


                            • KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              Why do you say that though? We had a much better offense than Boston last year, and improved it this year
                              That's where Irving and Hayward come in (obvs)
                              "Stop eating your sushi."
                              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                              - Jack Armstrong

                              Comment


                              • JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                                That's where Irving and Hayward come in (obvs)
                                Irving was already there for 75% of it...with a rusty struggling Hayward taking shots from him and tatum..we upgraded our top scorer and our 3 pt shooting (the 2nd thing fairly dramatically, and we were a team that took a Ton of 3s and figure to again but didnt make a ton)

                                We had an elite offense and they had an average offense. Not sure Hayward and 20 more games of Irving are enough to swing the pendulum the other way.

                                What I'm saying is THEIR offense may improve, but ours has been elite for 2 years and dont see why that should change
                                It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X