• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Wonder what the 2019 Raptors one will look like

A giant klaw
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Bucks emerging early as a/the serious contender (to us) in the East.

Comment

• Where the RR party when the Raptors win the title?
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
          Where the RR party when the Raptors win the title?
          at YOUR HOUSE!
          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Its really early... only a few games in.... but the early season highlights from this cheap seat are:

The Hinkies outside of JJ Redick can't shoot from the outside. This is gonna be a problem for them until Chandler gets back and even then that might not be enough. Watch for Elton Brand to try and find some shooting. Fultz has made a couple triples.. but for gods sake... when thats news that your starting PG can make shots beyond the arc thats when you know Colangelo may have drafted the guard version of Rafael Arujo.

Boston is still chugging to find its offense. Yeah its early. They got a ton of shot creators. Still though only 2 teams out of 30 aren't averaging north of 100 points a game. Boston is one them. The other is the Grizz. The perenially short of gas on offense Heat average 10 more than the Chowdas. Its only 5 games or so.. lets see what its like at the 15 game mark. I suspect things will be better.

Kyle Lowry is carving up teams. Its a clinic out there. If its not lobs to Serge and JV he is hitting Siakam in stride like Dan Marino used to hit his guys on fly routes. Bounce passes in stride to guys cutting to the basket. Saw him bounce one to Green as he was going up for a tranistion 3 and Green drained it. Then he is stepping back and draining threes. No one knows whats coming. The "now fucking what" look in teams eyes is fantastic to watch and Lowry is eating it up. We can dump the not engaged chatter at the curb I think.

The chronically underachieving Bucks are 4up and no losses. Yep in there are the knicks and hornets but they also have the scalps of the Hinkies and Pacers on the lodge pole. Giannas still doesn't have a jimmy but Middleton is filling it up from outside.
            Should be a hell of game next Monday in Milwaukee between the Raps n Bucks. Hopefully they both are undefeated.

Both Brooklyn and the Magic are showing some early season spunk. Does it last ?

Trae Young is making me eat crow. So far he looks like the Hawks made a good call. 20 PPG and 3PT% close to 40.. (38 actually but still pretty good for a guy who has to put bricks in his pants to not get blown over in a high wind).

4 games in and the Cleveland Cavalivers .. the deadlooks this year.. give every indication that they may be tanking. Kevin Love just went on the DL with a sore foot.

The Dwane Casey experience is alive and well in Detroit. Case is going to feature Blake Griffin like he featured DD. Casey with not all that much to work with in Motown will find a way to claw into the playoffs. DC is worth the money the Pistons spent to get him.
            Also.. Stanley Johnson ...picked 8th... is waiver material.
            Last edited by Demographic Shift; Thu Oct 25, 2018, 05:17 PM.
            There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
            - TGO

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
              Where the RR party when the Raptors win the title?
              Roxy here in Vancouver. Let's Go!
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Fury wrote: View Post
                Oh god.

Comment

• Took in a bit of the Chowders vs OKC game along with the NFL Thursday nighter and the Oilers vs Ovie game ..Yes I love sports.

OKC looks really bad on the offensive side of the ball. Like shit bad. No one on that team can shoot and if they aren’t making shots then Westbrook takes it on himself to take them all. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot was Paul George thinking. Either Russel has an epiphany or its going to be a loooooooooong year in OKC with the distinct possibility they miss the post season.

Yet it still took the Chowders who put up a pathetic 34 first half points, as their struggles on offence continue, the full game to beat these guys. Hayward is struggling..you won’t read it anywhere in the NBA msm but this dude has a ways to go. Like a long ways. Irving isn’t the player he was a year ago and Brown seems sluggish. Taytum however looks good. Very good.

They have 5 and a half months..but the Chowdas have a shit tone of synergizing to do on offence..Lots of those guys need the ball to be effective but there is only one ball. Irving needs it, Rozier needs it, Taytum needs it, Hayward needs it, Horford wats it as does Morris. Maybe less is more which portends a trade for one of the many good wings the Chowdas have...
                  - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                    Took in a bit of the Chowders vs OKC game along with the NFL Thursday nighter and the Oilers vs Ovie game ..Yes I love sports.

OKC looks really bad on the offensive side of the ball. Like shit bad. No one on that team can shoot and if they aren’t making shots then Westbrook takes it on himself to take them all. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot was Paul George thinking. Either Russel has an epiphany or its going to be a loooooooooong year in OKC with the distinct possibility they miss the post season.

Yet it still took the Chowders who put up a pathetic 34 first half points, as their struggles on offence continue, the full game to beat these guys. Hayward is struggling..you won’t read it anywhere in the NBA msm but this dude has a ways to go. Like a long ways. Irving isn’t the player he was a year ago and Brown seems sluggish. Taytum however looks good. Very good.

They have 5 and a half months..but the Chowdas have a shit tone of synergizing to do on offence..Lots of those guys need the ball to be effective but there is only one ball. Irving needs it, Rozier needs it, Taytum needs it, Hayward needs it, Horford wats it as does Morris. Maybe less is more which portends a trade for one of the many good wings the Chowdas have...
                    It's ugly on the Celtics side, in my opinion. All of their players are ball-dominant, but none good enough to single-handedly carry an offence like Durant/Leonard/James. Tatum might get there, but, he's not there yet. Kyrie is fantastic, but he's also the floor general responsible for initiating the team's offence and playmaking. Brad Stevens can run great sets, but if the players are ineffective without the ball, it'll be ugly.

I thought Jaylen Brown would play much, much better, seeing as he's probably the best off-ball guy on there aside Hayward. I have nothing bad to say about Hayward contribution-wise -- his ankle snapped in half last year, I think it takes him half the season, if not the entire season, to get into game-shape and rhythm.

I was high on the OKC wagon, in fact they're my favourite Western Conference team because they were originally in Seattle (I'm from Vancouver), but I had expected a drop. I thought the Jazz would make a major step up, with the Lakers and Spurs significantly improving. If there's a good team very, very capable of missing the playoffs, it would be OKC.

Comment

• http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...hanges-defense

He, Rockets going back to the drawing board because they've realized they can't switch everything on defence anymore and keep getting blown out.

No kidding. Enjoyed watching them last year, it was clear Ariza, Mbah a Moute, and Tucker weren't just role players, they were at the core of their defensive identity on the wings. Can't lose 2/3 of that, replace it with the crap they did, and expect the same magic to work. They should have paid those guys and kept them imho, they were closer to GS than anybody with that set up. They aren't now.
                      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
                        It's ugly on the Celtics side, in my opinion. All of their players are ball-dominant, but none good enough to single-handedly carry an offence like Durant/Leonard/James. Tatum might get there, but, he's not there yet. Kyrie is fantastic, but he's also the floor general responsible for initiating the team's offence and playmaking. Brad Stevens can run great sets, but if the players are ineffective without the ball, it'll be ugly.
                        A few of Kyrie's imperfections were almost certainly hidden by the LeBron effect in Cleveland, where he was a effectively a combo guard while Lebron was playing at Point Forward much of the time. It may be possible for him to switch from combo-guard mode into that pure-point-guard knows-where-people-are-and-where-they-are-going-mode, but it's going to take time. It's also going to take the sort of effort Derozan is known for off-season, but *during* the season, and it likely takes the coaching staff making it a point of emphasis besides. More than that, it's going to take actual movement in the offense, which means that Kyrie won't be able to develop that in-season and at speed unless and until the other starters bring movement into the offense.

On top of this, it may be hard to get the other players to buy into that movement, especially since a number of them are comfortable and reasonably good iso players. The Celtics almost certainly won't continue to shoot as badly as they have to start the season, and will eventually be able to get theirs against teams whose man defense is exploitable somewhere, but that will treat the symptoms and not the disease.

On the other hand, the Raptors starters have an offense which is humming along because all of their players have good movement habits, and in a few cases it's an integral part of their game. (Some of this may be a carryover from Nurse's offense being used last year). In addition to this, every starter, including the part-timers (JV/Ibaka/Siakam/OG) has good positional awareness for their position, and in the case of KL-squared, elite positional awareness.

ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
                        I thought Jaylen Brown would play much, much better, seeing as he's probably the best off-ball guy on there aside Hayward. I have nothing bad to say about Hayward contribution-wise -- his ankle snapped in half last year, I think it takes him half the season, if not the entire season, to get into game-shape and rhythm.
                        With Hayward, in addition to the physical and possible mental challenges he's facing, he's still adjusting to the team's in-game and in-practice culture. It's possible that, as he seeks to fit in with the on-court product, that he changes his style. If he's smart, that will mean majoring on his off-ball contributions to the offense. If he goes with the flow and follows along with his teammates, it may mean more iso ball and more structural problems for the offense.

ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
                        I was high on the OKC wagon, in fact they're my favourite Western Conference team because they were originally in Seattle (I'm from Vancouver), but I had expected a drop. I thought the Jazz would make a major step up, with the Lakers and Spurs significantly improving. If there's a good team very, very capable of missing the playoffs, it would be OKC.
                        With OKC, it feels like there's not only a talent drop-off but also some sort of missing ingredient. Mental toughness, maybe? It feels like OKC should be putting up a little more of a fight than they have been.

Comment

• Fury wrote: View Post
                          Is that the place where they stack all the highball glasses for the night behind the bar (like hundreds). I think I was there on a blurry night over a decade ago.

Comment

• And the Ty Lue era ends in Cleveland. Another piece of collateral damage with the exit of Lebron.Lue is a stand up guy and deserves better but with the departure of Lebron it’s midnight in Cleveland and the remaining players have turned into pumpkins.

JR Smith has reverted to the form that he showed with the Knicks and they couldn’t get him out of town fast enough. Kyle Korver now looks his age. George Hill looks like Sacto George Hill not Indy George Hill. Rodney Hood is showing why Utah was more than willing to move on from him...and Kevin Love never quite part of the band even in the winning seasons is unsurprisingly hurt and likely agreeing to a trade out of town. Tristan Thompson is also likely on the trade block.

I hope Lue lands on his feet. This isn’t his doing.

Next stop for the Cavs..the high lottery.
                            Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sun Oct 28, 2018, 12:14 PM.
                            - TGO

Comment

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
                              Oh god.
                              There will be a fist fight followed by someone from RR picking someone up from the bar and getting her pregnant. The kid will be named Kawhi.

Comment

• Shredder wrote: View Post
                                Is that the place where they stack all the highball glasses for the night behind the bar (like hundreds). I think I was there on a blurry night over a decade ago.
                                Toronto night life >> Vancouver.

There really isnt a bar culture in Vancouver, they don't take it as seriously as Toronto and it shows. Although I think The Craft Beer Market is a good place.

Comment

Working...
                                X