X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slaw
    replied
    Bendit wrote: View Post
    Anyone know if the doctor/trainer signed off on KD playing .... obviously as minimal risk?
    They said the medical staff "cleared him". Who knows what that means?

I heard a joke ages ago about Labor Day being the most magical day of the year in the NFL because, miraculously, all the players got healthy somehow and were cleared to play by the doctors for the opening game.

Leave a comment:

• octothorp
    replied
    One team that I imagine is exiting the Durant sweepstakes right now is the Lakers; they're in win-now mode, and if Durant's 1-2 years getting back to full health, that's not going to work with their timelines or salary situation. I think there's definitely the possibility for a team like the Knicks to swoop in with a five year max where a lot of teams are going to balk because of the timeline or the uncertainty.

One place it does create a problem right now is that he needs to make his decision about opting out (which is now no longer a clear best decision) before free agency, and he's now less certain about what offers he's going to get. I expect teams like the Knicks to do their best to skirt the tampering rules to make it known that this injury doesn't change any of their plans regarding Durant in the offseason.

Leave a comment:

• Bendit
    replied
    Anyone know if the doctor/trainer signed off on KD playing .... obviously as minimal risk?

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Apollo wrote: View Post

You're assuming they make the offer to a guy who may have just tore his Achilles. The first year of the contract they're paying him to recover. The second year they don't know for sure what they're getting because an Achilles tear is one of the worst basketball injuries there is.He's also 32 years old then with three years left. Plus they need to re-sign Klay and then Dray over the next two years as well.
    Yah but he's a top 1-2-3 player in the NBA. You bet on him coming back.. because those guys are so damn rare. Worth paying the extra $35M or whatever it is as an insurance to keep him long term.

If I was running the Knicks or Clippers, or some other team.. that's the approach I'm taking in the off season. Butter him up by telling him he'll get paid and the insurance of a max deal not to play. They could even give him a no trade clause. A year is not long in the NBA. Just use that year to develop internal guys or try to sway others to come join KD when he's healthy.

And as you said.. I don't think the Warriors can do that since their tax bill is so crazy so helps with any bidding war there.

Leave a comment:

• Rudy Bargnani
    replied
    I read the total cost for golden state to keep durant including salary and luxury taxes is $1billion. That’s...a lot. Obviously lots of assumptions on how long everyone stays and what Draymond signs for but if they keep the band together and are repeater tax for the future the cost to keep KD is a lot. It will be fashionable to say publicly nothing has changed they want KD there forever etc. But that’s a lot of money.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

The smartest move would be to take the 5 year max contract with Golden State.
    You're assuming they make the offer to a guy who may have just tore his Achilles. The first year of the contract they're paying him to recover. The second year they don't know for sure what they're getting because an Achilles tear is one of the worst basketball injuries there is.He's also 32 years old then with three years left. Plus they need to re-sign Klay and then Dray over the next two years as well.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post

Durant still has a $31,500,000 player option for next year. Theoretically he could opt in, cost GS a boat load of money on luxury taxes and leave in a year. If it’s an Achilles he’s not playing next year anyway.
    The smartest move would be to take the 5 year max contract with Golden State.

Leave a comment:

• Rudy Bargnani
    replied

I'm not saying he won't get paid but I think you're wrong. A torn Achilles is a long road back for a 30 year old. This is a deep class. Kawhi moves to #1 now.

He might not play next year.
    Durant still has a $31,500,000 player option for next year. Theoretically he could opt in, cost GS a boat load of money on luxury taxes and leave in a year. If it’s an Achilles he’s not playing next year anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied

The Warriors definition of easing back in:

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

Durant could have both Achilles torn and he’s still getting the max from every team that can offer it.
    I'm not saying he won't get paid but I think you're wrong. A torn Achilles is a long road back for a 30 year old. This is a deep class. Kawhi moves to #1 now.

He might not play next year.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied

When it happened to Kobe:
    https://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/article129430809.html

This may greatly impact FA. If the Warriors do not offer the max to Durant and support him through the recovery then they look like total assholes.
    Durant could have both Achilles torn and he’s still getting the max from every team that can offer it.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied

When it happened to Kobe:
    KOBE BRYANT, LAKERS

Age when hurt: 34

Injured: April 12, 2013

Returned: Dec. 12, 2014*

Pre-injury stats: 25.0 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 1,239 games

Post-injury stats: 18.9 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 107 games

*Played just six games before suffering season-ending knee injury
    https://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/article129430809.html

This may greatly impact FA. If the Warriors do not offer the max to Durant and support him through the recovery then they look like total assholes.
    Last edited by Apollo; Tue Jun 11, 2019, 06:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Nilanka wrote: View Post

I mean I could make a low resolution image of the Raptors starting five but why bother? What I said has decades of history backing it.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    Nilanka wrote: View Post

Leave a comment:

• Nilanka
    replied
    If they go up 3-1, KD or not it not looking good for those cocky Warriors.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X