Everything Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Yeah the narrative changed. That was when we were trying to squint and find a championship possibility without a top 5 or even top 10 player. Now we're at the big boy table, for one year at least
    Okay, so in agreement. But Kawhi is in a very unique way a top 5 player. Traditionally the backbone of what has been considered a top 5 player is that players ability to score the ball. Kawhi is no slouch at scoring, but he's no Kevin Durrant or James Harden either. He has one season of being a top notch scorer under his belt and prior to that he's been good for a starter. Now that he is healthy I'm really curious if he can repeat his 2016-2017 season scoring.

Comment

I’m less curious about his regular season scoring than seeing him exert his will and influence on both ends of the floor once it comes playoff time.

Giggitygiggitygiggity

Comment

GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
        I’m less curious about his regular season scoring than seeing him exert his will and influence on both ends of the floor once it comes playoff time.

Giggitygiggitygiggity
        Agreed. Only other superstar I can think of who raises their game to the point where they totally control the game is LeBron. Those two guys are fantastic in the regular season and maniacs in the playoffs. I wonder how much of that was Pop and company resting him during the season and how that might change this year.

Comment

LJ2 wrote: View Post
          Okay, so in agreement. But Kawhi is in a very unique way a top 5 player. Traditionally the backbone of what has been considered a top 5 player is that players ability to score the ball. Kawhi is no slouch at scoring, but he's no Kevin Durrant or James Harden either. He has one season of being a top notch scorer under his belt and prior to that he's been good for a starter. Now that he is healthy I'm really curious if he can repeat his 2016-2017 season scoring.
          Curry, Harden, Durant, James, Anthony Davis - that is the only 5 I definitively rank better than Kawhi as a SCORER. That is completely leaving out the defensive side of the game. He is not in the top 5 because of his defense alone, he is truly a transcendent player. Had he not sat out last year I feel like he'd be called the best player after James.
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Giggitygiggitygiggity
            He up's his game for the playoffs, but then again it's that one season where his scoring really improved. His 3pt shooting is amazing in the playoffs.

Comment

Comment

Curry, Harden, Durant, James, Anthony Davis - that is the only 5 I definitively rank better than Kawhi as a SCORER. That is completely leaving out the defensive side of the game. He is not in the top 5 because of his defense alone, he is truly a transcendent player. Had he not sat out last year I feel like he'd be called the best player after James.
                What are you basing his scoring prowess on though? The lone '16-'17 performance? I mean Russ, George, a bunch of guys have had better seasons scoring the ball albeit not as efficiently.

And yeah, if only he was healthy last season and performed like he did the year before I wouldn't have any doubts...

Comment

Oh man, don't get me all excited like this

Comment

100%. Kawhi is ridiculously under-rated on the offensive side of the ball. His last two full seasons were both 20+ PPG seasons playing only 33 MPG, on a ridiculous 60+ TS%. His individual ORTG of 121 in both seasons on usage rates of 26% and 31% is incredible. Over the past three full seasons, there have been 12 player-seasons (4 players per year) to put up 20 PPG on a 120+ ORTG and 25%+ usage. Kawhi is two of those, and was hurt for one year. Steph and Durant are the only other players to appear on that list twice. No one appears three times.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

LJ2 wrote: View Post
                      I was responding to the specific match-up posed by Demo. In that match-up he has given the Rap's the advantage at SG, but doesn't have either one of Brown, Hayward or Tatum at that spot even though he has all 3 in their starting line-up.
                      It would have to be brown as the other two don’t handle the ball as well as brown does. The “edge” the raps had might evaporate to neutral or perhaps a slight edge to Boston. However if brown isn’t in one of the SF or PF units then the raps edge in those groupings gets even bigger at SF and they narrow it at PF at worst and draw even to marginally better at best.

As I said..it’s 1a vs 1b....and for the first time in any playoff series..the raps will have the best player in the series if it’s them and da chowdah’s in the ECF.
                      Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue Aug 28, 2018, 10:28 PM.
                      There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                      - TGO

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                        Respect

For the first time in a looooooooooooong time its unbelievable to look at an ESPN prediction that is pretty much in line with what might actually happen as opposed to what they want to happen.

Other than a personal disagreement (mild to boot !) with who makes up the order of finish that says both the Heat and the Wiz make the PO the ESPN "here it is" early season guess fest lines up more with reality than with the usual click bait pandering to a large market but shitty team matrix. It actually lines up pretty well.

One of the Wiz or Heat will flame out this season either by design (tank) or by self inflicted internal strife. Replacing whoever of the wiz or heat does a Hindenburg will be one of the Nets, Knicks or Deadlooks.
                        Last edited by Demographic Shift; Thu Aug 30, 2018, 10:57 AM.
                        - TGO

Comment

I've noticed this trend of picking lebron to miss the playoffs and putting it in the headline

I think its ludicrous. Hes dragged rosters a lot worse than this one to the nba finals.. twice. West or not, there is just absolutely no chance hes not going to the playoffs. When was the last time he didnt go to a finals even? A decade ago? Yeah no thanks I'll take the smart money.
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

I've noticed this trend of picking lebron to miss the playoffs and putting it in the headline

I think its ludicrous. Hes dragged rosters a lot worse than this one to the nba finals.. twice. West or not, there is just absolutely no chance hes not going to the playoffs. When was the last time he didnt go to a finals even? A decade ago? Yeah no thanks I'll take the smart money.
                            Tbh I do think there is a small chance the Lakers miss the playoffs if LeBron isn't up to just backpack the team. If they don't gel, they're gonna have trouble in the west because they'll probably need 45-50 wins this year to get 8th.

However I think ESPN is selling this narrative so that if LeBron does will them to like 4th or 5th seed, they can give him the MVP.

Comment

There are a lot of pretty even money teams on the bubble to make the playoffs out west.... however only one of them has Lebron. Good call if your going to put some money down on the Lakers making the post season.

However there is always a "but".....

the "But" is that the Lakers have a lot of DI's (designated idiots ---> McGee/Rondo/Stevenson) and a few second year guys who will have to as good as if not better seasons than last year.

Mix in the ultimate hockey dad in LaVar ball and its a very flammable mix in LA.

If there ever was year that the best player in the league watches instead of plays in the post season.. this is it.
                              - TGO

Comment

There is a different form of pressure on management when Lebron is on your roster. If the Lakers are not cutting it by Christmas, a fire sale will occur. Just like the Cavs had last year.

Lakers are definitely making the playoffs. It's just a matter of what seed. I don't think they get home court in the first round, but I don't think Lebron cares about that.

Comment

Working...
                                X