Everything Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fury wrote: View Post
    I just want to say thank you to Minny for giving us LaVine and Markkanen.

LaVine is lookin like an all star this year and Markkanen i think has all the potential to be a future all star.

Remember all the flak that the Bulls got after that trade? lmao.
    Lavine is one of those all O,no D guys who make all star teams, then get totally exposed in the playoffs On the other hand, Lavine and the Bulls will actually have to make the playoffs to get exposed in the playoffs.
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
      Lavine is one of those all O,no D guys who make all star teams, then get totally exposed in the playoffs On the other hand, Lavine and the Bulls will actually have to make the playoffs to get exposed in the playoffs.
      Irving is one of those all O, no D guys who make all star teams. Did he got exposed in the playoffs? How about Steph Curry? James Harden?

I'm not comparing LaVine to any of those guys. I'm just sayin there's A LOT of great all O, no D guys in this league.

You're a Raps fan so i get it. You're thinking about DeRozan -- and he always gets exposed in the playoffs. The difference between LaVine and DeRozan? LaVine can actually shoot from everywhere.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

Irving is one of those all O, no D guys who make all star teams. Did he got exposed in the playoffs? How about Steph Curry? James Harden?

I'm not comparing LaVine to any of those guys. I'm just sayin there's A LOT of great all O, no D guys in this league.

You're a Raps fan so i get it. You're thinking about DeRozan -- and he always gets exposed in the playoffs. The difference between LaVine and DeRozan? LaVine can actually shoot from everywhere.
        Curry is not a no D guy, He's not a good defender, but he's a smart defender. Harden was actually passable on D last year,. Irving has had a reputation as a lazy regular season defender, but a plus playoff defender. Lavine is sometimes lazy, but almost always a clueless defender.
        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Why are we comparing Zach Lavine to Harden and Curry? Those guys don't need D they are literally 2 of the best players with the ball in their hands of all time. Zach Lavine and Demar Derozan AND Kyrie Irving do get exposed in the playoffs because they're not generational talent
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

and he does....
            There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
            - TGO

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
              Why are we comparing Zach Lavine to Harden and Curry? Those guys don't need D they are literally 2 of the best players with the ball in their hands of all time. Zach Lavine and Demar Derozan AND Kyrie Irving do get exposed in the playoffs because they're not generational talent
              Kyrie's getting exposed right now. lol.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

Heres one that says Philly might have made a "Plan B" kind of move given their 8 and 6 start. Butler is indeed an NBA MSM star but are his best days behind him ? The article says maybe. Is adding another ball needy player going to take away touches from Simmons and the King of Twitter and have the potential to cause a litlte friction ? The article says maybe. Did Philly address their biggest need for 3 point shooting prowess ? Well no.. They actually gave up two of their 3 ball attack players in Saric and Covington (apparently important in the modern game). They might.. well they did.. actually regress in this aspect of the game. This has the potential to mirror another star players trade request (Olidipo and Sabonis trade for Paul George).

Lets give it till Christmas to see how this shakes out and if it gives Philly the boost they expect.I think Minnesota did a whole lot better than they are getting credit for right now.
                Ultimately, I like the trade for Minny cause they got rid of him and got decent players back. There's always a risk in these scenarios that you get next to nothing. It seems like a fair return given the Leonard/Derozan swap this summer.

For Philly, I don't think we know. Too many variables right now. You have to think more moves are coming cause they need some shooting. You look at their competition in the East and the Raps, Celtics, Pacers and Bucks are too good defensively to contend with if you don't have good spacing.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                  Ultimately, I like the trade for Minny cause they got rid of him and got decent players back. There's always a risk in these scenarios that you get next to nothing. It seems like a fair return given the Leonard/Derozan swap this summer.

For Philly, I don't think we know. Too many variables right now. You have to think more moves are coming cause they need some shooting. You look at their competition in the East and the Raps, Celtics, Pacers and Bucks are too good defensively to contend with if you don't have good spacing.
                  Yeah.. been thinking about this and trying to be objective.. however when the NBA National MSM is all in on this as a big win for Philly a red flag goes up...This is the same gang who said no way would Leonard accept a trade to Toronto, next it was he wouldn't report, then it was he hadn't got a clean bill of health and the injury could still linger and finally it was the thought that Leonard wouldn't give the requisite effort to the Raptors and dog it while looking for real estate in LA.
                  Look back at some of those Chris Broussad and Shannon Sharpe clips... They are laughable.

Heres some reasons from this cheap seat as to why this isn't as one sided a deal as is being portrayed.

Jimmy is 29 years old and has played a lot of hard minutes under Coach Thibieau. a lot of hard minutes.

He is what you might call a high maintenance guy. There are plenty of apologists saying its his competitive nature and all but the guy went after his much younger teammates in both Chicago and Minny. Some call it competitive and tough love..... Others say total asshole.

Jimmy is at his best as a shot creator and that means he has to have the ball a lot. Well Ben Simmons who can't shoot also needs the ball a lot to make use of his skills. Theres only one ball. So let Simmons have the ball and set Jimmy up on drive and kick.. well Jimmy for all the good things on his CV doesn't have 3 point shooter as an item high on the list.

Have watched a couple of Philly games this year and they tended to be close down to the wire games. You need semtex to take the ball out of Joel Embiids hands on each posssesion as the game winds down possession by possesion. Joel wants that ball as much as Jimmy. Again.. there is only one ball. They'll share... Well Joel has an ego as big as anyones. Maybe he doesn't want to.

Jimmy is a plus defender on the wing. But is he that much better a defender than Covington ?.. maybe yes.. maybe no.. but if its yes.. its incremental.

Is Jimmy as good a 3 point shooter as Saric ? No.

And heres the heresey part.. How good is he really ? The NBA markets everyone as a star and Basketball has become littered with analytics. However there is only one metric that really matters in sports. Wins and Losses. Jimmy in his 8th campaign has taken his team no further than the 2nd round. Thats it. Never been further than that. Yes we have seen up close and personal that he has broken Raptor fans hearts in the regular season but so has Gerald Henderson. But then Gerald didn't play in a top 5 media hub like chicago.

Saric is a low maintenance 24 year old guy who gives the Wolves a player who will space the floor from the PF slot and can and will make shots from the arc. He is going to open it up a little more inside for Towns and for more slashes from Wiggins. He isn't a slouch on the block either and at 6'10" 245LBs he can get boards on both ends of the floor. I think he is excited for a bigger role in Minny than he was ever going to get with Embiid and Simmons. Perhaps a little euro ethnocentrism at play here.

Covington is another low maintenance guy who plays really good defense. He made life miserable for Demar and other wings when he turned up the gas on them. That game and his motor are going to travel easily and will be on display again in Minny. He can also make 35% plus shots from the arc and he is a couple years younger than Jimmy at 27 years old.

Its not like a Knicks trade here. Philly gave up 2 bona fide starters on a team that was fairly or unfairly touted as a top 3 team in the east to start the season. Thats a lot to give up. They were the glue and sandpaper on that team. They are going to play a lot in Minny and play well.

Thibs.. for all the guff he is going to take in the next week or so... got a very good return on a player he had to move.
                  Last edited by Demographic Shift; Mon Nov 12, 2018, 06:26 PM.
                  - TGO

Comment

Everytime someone mention me, you just knew this dude would say something lol *rolls eyes*
                    He's right though...

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                      Yeah.. been thinking about this and trying to be objective.. however when the NBA National MSM is all in on this as a big win for Philly a red flag goes up...This is the same gang who said no way would Leonard accept a trade to Toronto, next it was he wouldn't report, then it was he hadn't got a clean bill of health and the injury could still linger and finally it was the thought that Leonard wouldn't give the requisite effort to the Raptors and dog it while looking for real estate in LA.
                      Look back at some of those Chris Broussad and Shannon Sharpe clips... They are laughable.

Heres some reasons from this cheap seat as to why this isn't as one sided a deal as is being portrayed.

Jimmy is 29 years old and has played a lot of hard minutes under Coach Thibieau. a lot of hard minutes.

He is what you might call a high maintenance guy. There are plenty of apologists saying its his competitive nature and all but the guy went after his much younger teammates in both Chicago and Minny. Some call it competitive and tough love..... Others say total asshole.

Jimmy is at his best as a shot creator and that means he has to have the ball a lot. Well Ben Simmons who can't shoot also needs the ball a lot to make use of his skills. Theres only one ball. So let Simmons have the ball and set Jimmy up on drive and kick.. well Jimmy for all the good things on his CV doesn't have 3 point shooter as an item high on the list.

Have watched a couple of Philly games this year and they tended to be close down to the wire games. You need semtex to take the ball out of Joel Embiids hands on each posssesion as the game winds down possession by possesion. Joel wants that ball as much as Jimmy. Again.. there is only one ball. They'll share... Well Joel has an ego as big as anyones. Maybe he doesn't want to.

Jimmy is a plus defender on the wing. But is he that much better a defender than Covington ?.. maybe yes.. maybe no.. but if its yes.. its incremental.

Is Jimmy as good a 3 point shooter as Saric ? No.

And heres the heresey part.. How good is he really ? The NBA markets everyone as a star and Basketball has become littered with analytics. However there is only one metric that really matters in sports. Wins and Losses. Jimmy in his 8th campaign has taken his team no further than the 2nd round. Thats it. Never been further than that. Yes we have seen up close and personal that he has broken Raptor fans hearts in the regular season but so has Gerald Henderson. But then Gerald didn't play in a top 5 media hub like chicago.

Saric is a low maintenance 24 year old guy who gives the Wolves a player who will space the floor from the PF slot and can and will make shots from the arc. He is going to open it up a little more inside for Towns and for more slashes from Wiggins. He isn't a slouch on the block either and at 6'10" 245LBs he can get boards on both ends of the floor. I think he is excited for a bigger role in Minny than he was ever going to get with Embiid and Simmons. Perhaps a little euro ethnocentrism at play here.

Covington is another low maintenance guy who plays really good defense. He made life miserable for Demar and other wings when he turned up the gas on them. That game and his motor are going to travel easily and will be on display again in Minny. He can also make 35% plus shots from the arc and he is a couple years younger than Jimmy at 27 years old.

Its not like a Knicks trade here. Philly gave up 2 bona fide starters on a team that was fairly or unfairly touted as a top 3 team in the east to start the season. Thats a lot to give up. They were the glue and sandpaper on that team. They are going to play a lot in Minny and play well.

Thibs.. for all the guff he is going to take in the next week or so... got a very good return on a player he had to move.
                      Great breakdown.

I understand why Philly made the trade, given their current situation. BUT they wouldn't be in this current situation if they stayed "the Hinkies" as you called them and didn't eschew the entire process.

They more than likely right now would have a big 3 of Tatum, Embiid and Simmons, with ANOTHER lottery pick coming this year. Future dynasty. Instead, they're out of picks, and all of a sudden themselves with no depth and in "win now" mode with maybe the 3rd or 4th best team in the East

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                        Great breakdown.

I understand why Philly made the trade, given their current situation. BUT they wouldn't be in this current situation if they stayed "the Hinkies" as you called them and didn't eschew the entire process.

They more than likely right now would have a big 3 of Tatum, Embiid and Simmons, with ANOTHER lottery pick coming this year. Future dynasty. Instead, they're out of picks, and all of a sudden themselves with no depth and in "win now" mode with maybe the 3rd or 4th best team in the East
                        Yeah, tanking and then coming out clean & ready for championship ain't easy. I just hope they don't get Korver.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
                          Yeah, tanking and then coming out clean & ready for championship ain't easy. I just hope they don't get Korver.
                          Like I said though they were in good hands. The owners got panicky and handed the keys to the Colangelos. They still had sacramentos pick this draft ffs, lol

They committed to the arguably the most thorough rebuild in sports history until there was only another year or so left and cut bait. I personally think they missed the mark and will never reach of the mountain now, with GM Elton Brand. Too bad for Philly but I'm not losing sleep over it

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                            I'm kind of disappointed Minny didn't keep that team together because they would have been a lot of fun to watch now.
                            They would have been incredibly fun to watch and would have given up 150 points per game

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
                              I thought I heard or read somewheres that Korvers on the DL again with the same foot problem he has had for the past couple of seasons.

If not Korver someone is always available for the right price and Philly still has all their 1st round picks going forward.

That bench .. already thin before the trade... looks threadbare right now. Mikey Muscala or in a pinch Wilson Chandler looks like they move up to backfill Saric ....I guess Butler starts at SF in lieu of Covington and they now have to start JJ Reddick at the 2 for some spacing.

GM Brand still has some more work to do...
                              Last edited by Demographic Shift; Mon Nov 12, 2018, 08:38 PM.
                              - TGO

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                                They would have been incredibly fun to watch and would have given up 150 points per game
                                LOL.. yeah baby !!

Lavine/Wiggins/Towns on the defensive side of the ball were as impactful as a 20 dollar off coupon on the purchase of your next Mercedes.
                                - TGO

Comment

Working...
                                X