No announcement yet.

Everything Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's still so early but Houston has the talent to push through and get into the playoffs. I guess they've learned the hard way that defense actually matters.

Would be hilarious if they missed the playoffs though. Would actually love to see that happen. Would be even funnier to see Morey getting fired if that did happen.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
      It's still so early but Houston has the talent to push through and get into the playoffs. I guess they've learned the hard way that defense actually matters.

Would be hilarious if they missed the playoffs though. Would actually love to see that happen. Would be even funnier to see Morey getting fired if that did happen.
      Strolled in late last night from another in a long line of rubber chicken christmas socials and after saying hi to everyone that was still awake and listening to what when on at school and such....flipped on the late game....I knew I didn't have that much to drink but had to really squint to make sure that the score was right at the end of the 3rd with the Jazz up by a thirty burger. The Jazz went through the motions in the 4th and still didn't break a sweat.

Houston won't fire Morey.. This guy is really really good... and D'Antoni didn't become stupid overnight.
      Houston needs help on the court. If they don't get some soon... I really think they miss the dance this year.
      There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
      - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
        Strolled in late last night from another in a long line of rubber chicken christmas socials and after saying hi to everyone that was still awake and listening to what when on at school and such....flipped on the late game....I knew I didn't have that much to drink but had to really squint to make sure that the score was right at the end of the 3rd with the Jazz up by a thirty burger. The Jazz went through the motions in the 4th and still didn't break a sweat.

Houston won't fire Morey.. This guy is really really good... and D'Antoni didn't become stupid overnight.
        Houston needs help on the court. If they don't get some soon... I really think they miss the dance this year.
        Will be tough for them to make any tangible deal work. Unless some GM wants 4 picks from them like they apparently offered for Butler. Best case for them is in the waiver market when guys get bought out. But that's a long time away. By then they could be 3-4 games out of a playoff spot. The West is tough.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
          Will be tough for them to make any tangible deal work. Unless some GM wants 4 picks from them like they apparently offered for Butler. Best case for them is in the waiver market when guys get bought out. But that's a long time away. By then they could be 3-4 games out of a playoff spot. The West is tough.
          Amen... They are only a couple games back in the loss column.. but there are so many teams to leapfrog to get there.
          Its going to be a war out west... Every divisional game is important ... except for Phoenix.
          - TGO

Comment

• Some Random Thoughts as the NBA marathon grinds on .......

Christmas is just around the corner. Its kind of an inflection point for NBA teams as they have about 6 weeks to decide if what they have is good enough for the goals that were set for the year ....or a mirage and they should start planning for next year.

The Raps .. if they are hunting for anything this year come mid Feb would be more reliable 3 point shooting than what they have been getting so far. The shooting showed up last night in spades as they just hammered the Clips.. yet this corner of the world is wondering if they have enough consistent 3 point guys for the goals set down this year which are winning the East and making their first ever appearance in the NBA Finals.

Philly will be looking for the same help at the arc as the Raps and their need is greater. If the Spurs are on the cusp of the playoffs or not maybe they sell the Hinkies Bellinelli back for a pick or a player. The Bucks have already made their move acquiring George Hill for more ball handling help and have added 3 point shooting. The Pacers to move up to business class need a quality star level player. They have all their 1st round picks. Who is on the market that meets that high bar is anyones guess. Beal ? McCollum ? Kemba ?

Trade speculation aside idle chatter on free agency and player asked for trades are also getting more air time.

The Clippers, who have had an unexpectedly good run so far are courting both Leonard and Durant as guys they are going to try to get next July very seriously... What remains to be seen is how interested Durant and Leonard are in them. Prevailing opinion is that the Clips are a mirage and they will soon fade from the playoff run in the second half of the season which will lead to numerous slow news day type clickbait headlines that will talk up that LA is the destination of choice for Durant and Leonard as its a warm weather city.. but so is Phoenix, Miami and Sacramento but no one is rushing there either. Jerry West is fantastic....Steve Balmer is a deep pocketed owner.. but the Clips are still .. even with a Durant and/or Leonard a ways away. If they get both though.. they are right there. Possible.. but unlikely.

The annual Anthony Davis to the Celtics stuff is also starting up. A Windhurst/Pelton pod spent almost 20 minutes on it. It always amazes me how highly regarded the Celtics players are by the MSM. Its TMLeaf like. The phrase " they have so many assets" borders on making everyone who hears it outside of racially tolerant Chowdertown reach for Ipecac. I personally like Jaylen Brown but a combo of Brown and a shooting challenged Marcus Smart and two mid round non lottery picks for Davis is a Rob Babcock-like trade for Anthony Davis. Smart is a skill set that works in Boston but likely won't travel all that well. Demps would be foolish if he listened to that package. But a Tatum, Rozier, Brown and at least one mid round pick would be worthwhile for a top 5 player in the league. I wonder if Ainge would do it. Likely not. But the notion of an asset laden treasure trove in Boston is more perception than reality.

The anticipated Wizards fire sale has yet to materialize. To me John Wall is the problem in DC. He also has arguably THE toughest contract to trade in the NBA right now. Both Otto Porter and B.Beal are very movable deals but with nothing in the rumour mill so far you have to think that the Whiz also think that Wall is the skunk in the room that needs to be moved. Good luck.

The Thunder have moved to the forefront of the playoff race out west. Do they have enough to knock off the Warriors. Well Russell has enough hate in him to give it a serious chance. What they need... strangely enough is 3 point shooting. JR SMith to the Thunder ?

Never a dull moment as the season moves on eh ?
            Last edited by Demographic Shift; Wed Dec 12, 2018, 01:44 PM.
            - TGO

Comment

• Tonight the Wiz moved their road record to putrid 4 and 13 losing to the Atlanta Hawks.. a team thats trying to lose...

Seems apparent to most yet the President and GM of the Wizards is still hanging on to team dysfunction. When will Ernie finally capitulate and hit the reset button. Trading for Trevor Ariza ? Really ? The Wiz are still circling the drain.

At this rate .. despite some pretty big reputations and some bigger salaries...... the Wiz project to 30 odd wins and the lottery. Just can't see how a team with players that dislike each other and don't want to be there turns it around.
              - TGO

Comment

Tonight the Wiz moved their road record to putrid 4 and 13 losing to the Atlanta Hawks.. a team thats trying to lose...

Seems apparent to most yet the President and GM of the Wizards is still hanging on to team dysfunction. When will Ernie finally capitulate and hit the reset button. Trading for Trevor Ariza ? Really ? The Wiz are still circling the drain.

At this rate .. despite some pretty big reputations and some bigger salaries...... the Wiz project to 30 odd wins and the lottery. Just can't see how a team with players that dislike each other and don't want to be there turns it around.
                Save Bradley, Masai
                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Tonight the Wiz moved their road record to putrid 4 and 13 losing to the Atlanta Hawks.. a team thats trying to lose...

Hitting the reset button will mean Ernie is out of a job, so I don't expect him to be the one to do it. It has to come from someone above him in the Wiz pecking order.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                    Hitting the reset button will mean Ernie is out of a job, so I don't expect him to be the one to do it. It has to come from someone above him in the Wiz pecking order.
                    Think ole Ernie is out of a job in DC anyway..

They’re capped out ..don’t have anything in the way of younger talent on the way up and their current outlook bleak.

Ernie has to hit the eject button and put together a plan for the rebuild with an eye to his next gig in an NBA front office. If he does the equivalent of standing around and does nothing..he will suffer the same fate as Billy King.
                    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Wed Dec 19, 2018, 10:59 AM.
                    - TGO

Comment

Think ole Ernie is out of a job in DC anyway..

They’re capped out ..don’t have anything in the way of younger talent on the way up and their current outlook bleak.

Ernie has to hit the eject button and put together a plan for the rebuild with an eye to his next gig in an NBA front office. If he does the equivalent of standing around and does nothing..he will suffer the same fate as Billy King.
                      That would be admirable of Ernie, but a new management team likely won't want to follow the plan which the previous management has put together. No, this move has to come from Ernie's superiors and has to be seen through by whomever is replacing him.

As far as Ernie goes his fate should be sealed at this point.....I say should only because he seems to have a relationship similar to Dolan and Isaah Thomas, where he has lasted this long due to something more than the results he has produced.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                        That would be admirable of Ernie, but a new management team likely won't want to follow the plan which the previous management has put together. No, this move has to come from Ernie's superiors and has to be seen through by whomever is replacing him.

As far as Ernie goes his fate should be sealed at this point.....I say should only because he seems to have a relationship similar to Dolan and Isaah Thomas, where he has lasted this long due to something more than the results he has produced.
                        Ted Leonsis is an owner who has a history of not paying people not to work for him.....and Ernie is still under contract..not sure how long that deal is for.

That aside this situation is a repeat of the last couple years..an under achieving team...poor chemistry...populated largely with unlikeable players in Morris, Howard, Wall and Beal. They reek of punks. It’s toxic in DC and it’s fresh start time for the team and whomever they can unload of Wall or Beal helps them all.
                        - TGO

Comment

• The Wizards are awful. Not because they are a necessarily bad team but because they don't even try. If Dwane Casey was there they'd be where Detroit is right now. If you watch any highlights from WSH games they give little to no effort on defense. It's actually shocking how little they try. It's definitely a team in need of a rebuild but they need new management to make it happen.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                            The Wizards are awful. Not because they are a necessarily bad team but because they don't even try. If Dwane Casey was there they'd be where Detroit is right now. If you watch any highlights from WSH games they give little to no effort on defense. It's actually shocking how little they try. It's definitely a team in need of a rebuild but they need new management to make it happen.
                            There was a time John wall was in the group of "next great point guard" alongside Westbrook and curry and lillard. John wall is no longer in that group
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              There was a time John wall was in the group of "next great point guard" alongside Westbrook and curry and lillard. John wall is no longer in that group
                              Since I enjoy train wrecks, I've been following some of the Wizards blogs/sites. One real good comment I saw the other day was to effect of: Wall is inconsistent and he's been inconsistent so long it's the new normal but that wouldn't be so bad except when he has a bad game he drags the whole team down with him.

Compare it Lowry's poor stretch couple weeks ago. He was bad, and it hurt, but it wasn't like the team stopped playing/trying. When Wall is bad, they just give up. Now, not all that is on him. Other guy's have to take responsibility, too, but when you've got a guy like that as your leader, it's a problem.

Comment

• What happened to Utah? I had them pegged as one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the West this season and they aren't even in the playoffs right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X