Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zak24gege wrote: View Post
    Who and what would LA offer for AD?
    Your guess is as good as anyones....Here s mine..

The Pellys are keeping Jrue Holiday so no need for Lonzo Ball. If I am playing the role of Dell Demps I push to expand the trade to include Mirotic. The Lakers will have cap space come July 1. I then want both of Kuzma and Ingram and ask for one of an up and coming Zubac or Josh Hart and future first round pick. I'd settle for Zubac and this years first and whatever filler expirings LA wants to put into the mix to make salary work..

That would give the Pellys a starting 5 of whats listed below and two picks in this years draft. One in the lottery and one in the top 18 to 20. It will give them the start of a bench.

Zubac
    Ingram
    Kuzma or Randle
    Holiday
    Moore
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Mon Jan 28, 2019, 01:35 PM.
    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
    - TGO

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
      Meh, I'm pretty sure Adam Silver would be thrilled to have AD and Lebron in LA. Other than their fans, no one cares about the Pelicans, not even their owner.
      Yeah.. OK.. I will take a knee on that...
      Your league is strongest when your best franchises are competitive....
      - TGO

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        It's OK to not care about seeding. Caring about seeding to the extent that you'd rather place 2nd than 1st and hope the teams you are terrified of will get eliminated by someone else is silly. Stop being terrified of teams and hoping to duck them. The Raptors will go as far as they deserve and no further. How far you think that is is up to you.
        DanH I understand logic . If you can duck a team that might knock you out why not?—yes if you’re the best team you should be able to knock out all comers. But avoiding 7 game up and down series first 2 rounds imo increases odds of getting to NBA finals. My goal for this team is NBA finals and possibly championship—going to NBA finals imo will optimize our chances of resigning KL. One factor to consider NBA may not be ready for Canadian team in NBA finals and close games, which I anticipate vs Celtics could come downing to ref calls. Refs wont stop us if we win by 4-5+ points but in a series with multiple games coming down to 1 or 2 possessions refs and league factors could have impact on outcome. I wise person once said “good teams avoid close games”. Our path to finals should be 5 game series in first two rounds avoiding games less than 3 points , if able.

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
          DanH I understand logic . If you can duck a team that might knock you out why not?—yes if you’re the best team you should be able to knock out all comers. But avoiding 7 game up and down series first 2 rounds imo increases odds of getting to NBA finals. My goal for this team is NBA finals and possibly championship—going to NBA finals imo will optimize our chances of resigning KL. One factor to consider NBA may not be ready for Canadian team in NBA finals and close games, which I anticipate vs Celtics could come downing to ref calls. Refs wont stop us if we win by 4-5+ points but in a series with multiple games coming down to 1 or 2 possessions refs and league factors could have impact on outcome. I wise person once said “good teams avoid close games”. Our path to finals should be 5 game series in first two rounds avoiding games less than 3 points , if able.
          OK , let's say I buy this. Let's say the Raptors have the chance to be in the Celtics' bracket for the 2nd round, or in the other bracket. Are we calling the other bracket a 7 game up and down series, or not? Let's go through both scenarios.

First, let's assume the top 4 teams are roughly equal and any match between them will be up and down, 7 game series. So if the Raptors are in the Celtics bracket (the scenario you hope to avoid), they have an easy 1st round, a tough 2nd round, and then in the ECFs, it's another tough round because in this scenario we've said that the Bucks and 76ers are both tough outs. Now, what if they avoid the Celtics until the ECFs? Then they have an easy round 1, a tough 2nd round against the Bucks and 76ers, and a tough ECF against the Celts. Again, two tough rounds. Same outcome.

Now let's assume the Celtics are actually the only tough matchup in the East. Same thing here: if the Raptors end up in the Celts' bracket, they will have an easy round 1, a tough round 2, and then an easy ECFs against the presumably inferior Bucks or 76ers. Or, if they avoid the Celts' bracket, they would have an easy round 1, an easy round 2, and a tough round 3. One tough round, two easy ones. Exactly the same regardless of the bracket.

If the only goal is to make the ECF and we are happy losing there, yes, we should jockey for position. If we are intending on going to the Finals, it doesn't matter in the least.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
            Now let's assume the Celtics are actually the only tough matchup in the East. Same thing here: if the Raptors end up in the Celts' bracket, they will have an easy round 1, a tough round 2, and then an easy ECFs against the presumably inferior Bucks or 76ers. Or, if they avoid the Celts' bracket, they would have an easy round 1, an easy round 2, and a tough round 3. One tough round, two easy ones. Exactly the same regardless of the bracket.

If the only goal is to make the ECF and we are happy losing there, yes, we should jockey for position. If we are intending on going to the Finals, it doesn't matter in the least.
            If you play 7 brutal games against a second-round opponent you are far more likely to be worn down for the ECF and, if you get there, the Finals. You are treating the order of competition as irrelevant. It is not. It is also not irrelevant that the Raps match up very, very well with Philly and Indy and less so with Boston. Matchups are critical in the playoffs. Letting Boston and Milwaukee slug it out in 7 and having only to play one of them would obviously be beneficial to Toronto.

In any case, it's too early to get worked up about this as there doesn't seem to be a viable path to gaming the standings at the moment to get an ideal second round matchup. That could change if the Oladipo-less Pacers keep winning and hang on to third.

Comment

If you play 7 brutal games against a second-round opponent you are far more likely to be worn down for the ECF and, if you get there, the Finals. You are treating the order of competition as irrelevant. It is not. It is also not irrelevant that the Raps match up very, very well with Philly and Indy and less so with Boston. Matchups are critical in the playoffs. Letting Boston and Milwaukee slug it out in 7 and having only to play one of them would obviously be beneficial to Toronto.

In any case, it's too early to get worked up about this as there doesn't seem to be a viable path to gaming the standings at the moment to get an ideal second round matchup. That could change if the Oladipo-less Pacers keep winning and hang on to third.
              I really don't follow. If there is one grinding series, wouldn't it be best to have it as early as possible, so you get some easier games and maybe some rest with a shorter ECF series before the Finals? The alternatives being examined are a) 7 game series in R2 and an easier ECF opponent, or b) easier R2 opponent and 7 game series in ECF. Not seeing the obvious advantage to either.

I'm just working off the proposal that the Celtics are the one team the Raptors should avoid. If the other teams are not as big a concern, I don't see how the order matters, unless you care how early you lose. My opinion is that the Raptors can take any of these teams and as such don't care who they face in each round. And my far stronger opinion is that even if that is not true, then the team will lose to whoever they face in the ECF after getting two easy opponents in the first two rounds.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Wonder if Dell and the owner trade him anywhere but LA just out of spite...
                - TGO

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                  I really don't follow. If there is one grinding series, wouldn't it be best to have it as early as possible, so you get some easier games and maybe some rest with a shorter ECF series before the Finals? The alternatives being examined are a) 7 game series in R2 and an easier ECF opponent, or b) easier R2 opponent and 7 game series in ECF. Not seeing the obvious advantage to either.

I'm just working off the proposal that the Celtics are the one team the Raptors should avoid. If the other teams are not as big a concern, I don't see how the order matters, unless you care how early you lose. My opinion is that the Raptors can take any of these teams and as such don't care who they face in each round. And my far stronger opinion is that even if that is not true, then the team will lose to whoever they face in the ECF after getting two easy opponents in the first two rounds.
                  I have played for coaches who subscribed to both these ideas...
                  One wanted to get the toughest team out of the way first when we were fresh...
                  The other wanted a confidence building progression series by series....

They both work....

They work the absolute best when you have the best team in the league
                  Go Raps.
                  Last edited by Demographic Shift; Mon Jan 28, 2019, 08:31 PM.
                  - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

Wonder if Dell and the owner trade him anywhere but LA just out of spite...
                    Forget the monetary fines. Fine the Lakers their next first round draft pick for tampering

Comment

Wonder if Dell and the owner trade him anywhere but LA just out of spite...
                      Yeah, send AD as far north and east of LA as possible. Let the hate flow through you, Dell.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                        Forget the monetary fines. Fine the Lakers their next first round draft pick for tampering
                        One of the talking head (i forgot who) insinuated that the league stepped in and prohibited PG from going to LA this last summer due to the massive amount of tampering going on. Hence why PG didn't even take a meeting with the lakers when he was deadset on signing their just 12 months before. Probably just hear say but something to think about.
                        To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
                          One of the talking head (i forgot who) insinuated that the league stepped in and prohibited PG from going to LA this last summer due to the massive amount of tampering going on. Hence why PG didn't even take a meeting with the lakers when he was deadset on signing their just 12 months before. Probably just hear say but something to think about.
                          That's butt hurt LA media bullshit. If the league even tried to do that the union would lose its mind. Players would never stand for it.

Comment

• Is that discord being heard out of Boston ?

Kyrie thinks the younger players aren’t consistent enough game in and game out ?
                            Kyrie making some noise that he may have walked away from a good thing with Lebron to early?
                            Rozier Tatum and Brown wondering if they suck so bad how did they make the ECF last year WITHOUT Kyrie and Gord?
                            Players only meeting already held..part two upcoming?

Tick tick..Danny and Brad are on the clock...
                            - TGO

Comment

• At this point in time the Raps got beat by a better team in Milwaukee last night ... The Bucks have better shooters that make their open looks and make some of the contested ones. Les Raptors did not. last night anyway.

Are they dead .. Hardly .. Far from it.

Just like Danny Ainge is on the clock to fix whats wrong in Boston (too many wings and SG's) so too is Masai Ujiri on the same clock to assess if what he has for 3 point shooting in the interim is good enough to win with. .. and by win.. I mean getting to the NBA finals.

So who is out there ?

Wes Mathews may be on the buyout list.
                              Can E'tuan Moore be had from NO as they gut the franchise. Same for Mirotic.
                              Is Wayne Ellington really any different than CJ Miles in Miami.

Leasehold improvement may be necessary....I expect Ujiri to fill it with someone.
                              - TGO

Comment

At this point in time the Raps got beat by a better team in Milwaukee last night ... The Bucks have better shooters that make their open looks and make some of the contested ones. Les Raptors did not. last night anyway.

Are they dead .. Hardly .. Far from it.

Just like Danny Ainge is on the clock to fix whats wrong in Boston (too many wings and SG's) so to is Masai Ujiri to assess if what he has for 3 point shooting in the interim is good enough to win with.

So who is out there ?

Wes Mathews may be on the buyout list.
                                Can E'tuan Moore be had from NO as they gut the franchise. Same for Mirotic.
                                Is Wayne Ellington really any different than CJ Miles in Miami.

Leasehold improvement may be necessary....I expect Ujiri to fill it with someone.
                                There's a lot out there this year...from superstars to quasi stars to quality role players to buyouts for the bench...I too expect something, there's a few passengers on board right now and a few guys playing a few too many minutes
                                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X