No announcement yet.

Everything Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm far less worried about seeding than I am about the Raptors just getting their shit together in time for the playoffs. We are fresh out of the AS break so I'm still breathing in a brown paper bag, but between the roster overhaul from Masai's end and the never ending lineup tinkering on Nurse's end and Kawhi sitting out a third of the time - there's just not that many game remaining and what looks like a lot of work to do to build chemistry. I'm a bit worried we'll have a good team but not a peak performance team.

Hope I'm wrong!
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Nurse at practice yesterday: “we need more experimenting” RIP Raps
      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
        I'm far less worried about seeding than I am about the Raptors just getting their shit together in time for the playoffs. We are fresh out of the AS break so I'm still breathing in a brown paper bag, but between the roster overhaul from Masai's end and the never ending lineup tinkering on Nurse's end and Kawhi sitting out a third of the time - there's just not that many game remaining and what looks like a lot of work to do to build chemistry. I'm a bit worried we'll have a good team but not a peak performance team.

Hope I'm wrong!
        Tbh, the only issues are: Kawhi being available consistently to build chemistry and Gasol or Ibaka in the starting lineup. In the playoffs, the starting lineups and rotations get blown up all the time depending on matchups and opposition adjustments. Getting the players accustomed to change might come in handy at that point. I think that's part of the method to Nurse's madness.

The converse strategy is to just become so excellent and precise at executing your own system (e.g. 2014 Spurs, and maybe the 2019 Bucks) that nobody can stop you, even when they know exactly what's coming.

Classical Music vs. Improv Jazz.
        Last edited by golden; Tue Feb 26, 2019, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• Looking at the standings right now.. it feels Detroit has planted themselves nicely into that 7th seed. 1.5 game up from 8th and 1.5 games back from 6th. That would be a really fun series. Would have loved to have JV play against Drummond though.

Knowing our luck though.. watch Orlando get hot and move into 7th. They do have the 3rd easiest schedule in the league after Utah and Toronto.

Comment

• Lakers drop games to NOP and Memphis and are now 3-7 in their last despite being desperate for wins. They still have ~20 games to make up ground but there are now 3 teams ahead/tied with them in the standings for 8th.

I can't imagine Lebron is taking this well....

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
              Lakers drop games to NOP and Memphis and are now 3-7 in their last despite being desperate for wins. They still have ~20 games to make up ground but there are now 3 teams ahead/tied with them in the standings for 8th.

He's busy working on Hip Hop album
              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                Lakers drop games to NOP and Memphis and are now 3-7 in their last despite being desperate for wins. They still have ~20 games to make up ground but there are now 3 teams ahead/tied with them in the standings for 8th.

Its hard to tell who Lebron's venom... and it is venom... is directed at. The veiled soliloquy on comfort zones when laid bare is aimed at whoever Lebron thinks is part of the mix going forward and isn't stepping up when it matters. The rest of the lineup.. Rondo, McGee, Stevenson, KCP etal.. is simply irrelevant.

Seeing that the Lakers are invested in but three young players its one of Brandon Ingram..Kyle Kuzma or Lonzo Ball.

Ingram seems to do his thing... he was drafted to be a scorer and thats what he is doing..He isn't going to be an All Star.. but he has a role to play and he is. Put the ball in the hole for points.

Kuzma fills the role of Kevin Love a dependable stretch 4. Make 3's and stretch the floor.

Ball is MIA right now as he rehabs from an ankle injury...how close he is to returning and how "hurt" he is.... is speculative.. .but when your losing and you need a ball handler in the back court who isnt available when the team needs him ...this might raise Lebrons ire.

For my money and gossip I think Lebron is pissed with both Kuzma and Ball...Kuzma has more Hollywood to him than guts on the floor and Ball.. well Ball is like Eric Lindros.. regardless of what he does more is expected from him.. that he is "hurt" and is on the cusp of bailing on the entire season is interesting.

If Lebron pouts and decides that no matter what he does for them this group isn't going to rise to the occasion then the Lakers are not only going to miss the playoffs.. they will again whiff in free agency.

And when they whiff in FA..... watch for both Ball and Kuzma to be moved along for players who have more interest in playing basketball than living la vida loca in LA.
                Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue Feb 26, 2019, 12:12 PM.
                There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                - TGO

Comment

• Lebron has no one to blame but himself. He signed with that roster so he could make Space Jam.

How about the fact that Lebron/Klutch Sports have created a sideshow all season long that would put the Ball family to shame. The Lakers have barely been better with him in town, increased their WP% by a whopping 5% this year. Lebron will have been good for 4-6 added wins at this rate.
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Lebron has no one to blame but himself. He signed with that roster so he could make Space Jam.

How about the fact that Lebron/Klutch Sports have created a sideshow all season long that would put the Ball family to shame. The Lakers have barely been better with him in town, increased their WP% by a whopping 5% this year. Lebron will have been good for 4-6 added wins at this rate.
                    To be fair, he's missed 18 games with injury and they were 6-12. With him, they're 23-19. Take his win % and keep him healthy all year and they're tied with the Clippers for 7th right now. Not great, but that team is bottom 5 without him
                    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Lebron has no one to blame but himself. He signed with that roster so he could make Space Jam.

Lebron is committed to winning...He has a CV that demonstrably shows that he can get it done when he has a committed cast around him...

Kuzma and Ball.. well... not so much eh ?

If you had to pick between two separate entries in a race.. one led by Lebron James and one led by a triumverate of Ball/Kuzma and Ingram... who you putting your folding money down on ?
                      There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                      - TGO

Comment

• Just saw that the Spurs are now in 8th. They've lost some bad games too recently. Imagine a world where neither San Antonio or Lebron makes the playoffs? Crazy times.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                          Just saw that the Spurs are now in 8th. They've lost some bad games too recently. Imagine a world where neither San Antonio or Lebron makes the playoffs? Crazy times.
                          I don't think Derozan could emotionally handle missing all star and playoffs and watching the Raptors this spring. I hope he gets in just for his mental state
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                            Just saw that the Spurs are now in 8th. They've lost some bad games too recently. Imagine a world where neither San Antonio or Lebron makes the playoffs? Crazy times.
                            I think as it stands; at least 1 of those teams aren't making it in.
                            "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                            "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
                              I think as it stands; at least 1 of those teams aren't making it in.
                              Looks like it will be the Lakers, they are 3 games behind.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                                Its hard to tell who Lebron's venom... and it is venom... is directed at. The veiled soliloquy on comfort zones when laid bare is aimed at whoever Lebron thinks is part of the mix going forward and isn't stepping up when it matters. The rest of the lineup.. Rondo, McGee, Stevenson, KCP etal.. is simply irrelevant.
                                I haven't followed it that closely but it's pretty clear they were biding time this season in order to load up for the last 3 years of his contract. I do believe that they thought they had enough to make the playoffs or even get home court but they overestimated some of the vets they brought in and underestimated some of the improved teams out West.

One name you didn't mention was the coach. Lebron wants his own guy in there and you have to wonder if some of this stuff is around the corners shooting at Walton, though, that may not make much sense as the coach is as good as gone this offseason.

Comment

Working...
                                X