Everything Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Not too sure where you got either one of those as the main thoughts out of what I said.
    But if you want a synopsis; no player deserves $40M per season.
    As some sort of Super Max.....sounds like a term made up by an agent. Currently the top salary in the league is Curry at about 34 I believe and he might be the only one worth it with regards to how it plays into team structures. Durant, Giannis, lebron.
    What is "worth it"? Players get 50% of basketball revenue, and its split amongst them to try and create a winning team.

does Robert downey to deserve $30 million to film a few scenes where hes not in the iron man costume? If Joe blow replaced him as iron guy, probably wouldn't make as much money..
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

What is "worth it"? Players get 50% of basketball revenue, and its split amongst them to try and create a winning team.

does Robert downey to deserve $30 million to film a few scenes where hes not in the iron man costume? If Joe blow replaced him as iron guy, probably wouldn't make as much money..
      That's why I included in my original post "I get that the NBA is rolling in dough"

To me this is always like a union inspired weak argument. The Iron Man series or ACDC or Connor McGregor may have a budget, but they don't have a team cap that hamstrings them from paying the rest of the event in the goal of making a better movie, a better concert etc. So yes, NBA players are the show and bring in a ton of dough with a pre-determined percentage staying in player hands. But paying 35-45M to a single player (or $30M each to two or three players) in a salary cap world doesn't make sense. Very few players made 30M even a few years ago and none made 40 but are potentially about to.

So no, it's not worth it if it hamstrings a team from adding competitive pieces. The whole "Luxury Tax Threshold" is goofy to me
      Last edited by G__Deane; Tue May 21, 2019, 01:42 PM.

Comment

That's why I included in my original post "I get that the NBA is rolling is dough"

To me this is always like a union inspired weak argument. The Iron Man series or ACDC or Connor McGregor may have a budget, but they don't have a team cap that hamstrings them from paying the rest of the event in the goal of making a better movie, a better concert etc. So yes, NBA players are the show and bring in a ton of dough with a pre-determined percentage staying in player hands. But paying 35-45M to a single player (or $30M each to two or three players) in a salary cap world doesn't make sense. Very few players made 30M even a few years ago and none made 40 but are potentially about to.

So no, it's not worth it if it hamstrings a team from adding competitive pieces. The whole "Luxury Tax Threshold" is goofy to me
        Then don't sign them. What's the problem?
        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• It's just funny to me. Before the playoffs started, depth was supposed to be the Raptors strength, that was the storyline along with Kawhi. While lack of depth on the other hand was supposed to be the weakness of the Warriors.

Now, everyone's talking about the Raptors lack of depth, and how much depth the Warriors have.

The problem is, Nick Nurse doesn't trust any of his bench guys not named FVV, Ibaka and Powell. His confidence on FVV is through the fucking roof.

Kerr on the other hand trusts EVERYONE. Bogut started games 1 and 2 for them, Jones started in Game 3. And McKinney and Bell got the start last night for the Warriors. Cook also got a lot of playing time last night along with a guy that i've never heard of before.

Patrick McCaw who under Kerr was a rotation player in the playoffs a couple of years ago can't even get any playing time under Nurse even with all the FVV struggles. Jeremy Lin is another one. Miller to me is another McKinney and he can't get any playing time. If McKinney was still here would he get any meaningful playing time under Nurse?
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Bla bla bla depth and coaching. Curry has been playing out of his mind again, and dray and Klay are right behind him.

you're as good as your best players. When Kawhi, Lowry and siakam all have a good game on the same night we're practically unbeatable and nurse looks great too
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Trust is not a guarantee or right. It must be earned. Only Nurse knows who's earned it with him.

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                It's just funny to me. Before the playoffs started, depth was supposed to be the Raptors strength, that was the storyline along with Kawhi. While lack of depth on the other hand was supposed to be the weakness of the Warriors.

Now, everyone's talking about the Raptors lack of depth, and how much depth the Warriors have.

The problem is, Nick Nurse doesn't trust any of his bench guys not named FVV, Ibaka and Powell. His confidence on FVV is through the fucking roof.

Kerr on the other hand trusts EVERYONE. Bogut started games 1 and 2 for them, Jones started in Game 3. And McKinney and Bell got the start last night for the Warriors. Cook also got a lot of playing time last night along with a guy that i've never heard of before.

Patrick McCaw who under Kerr was a rotation player in the playoffs a couple of years ago can't even get any playing time under Nurse even with all the FVV struggles. Jeremy Lin is another one. Miller to me is another McKinney and he can't get any playing time. If McKinney was still here would he get any meaningful playing time under Nurse?
                Based on an entire season, who said depth was supposed to be the Raptors strength before the playoffs started???
                I want names and addresses!

The bench was destroyed (for good reason) when we promoted Siakam and traded Poeltl. We further stripped it when we shipped out Wright, JV and to a lesser extent, Miles.

We knew MONTHS ago that the latest greatest idea was to untimately sacrifice depth and the bench that carried our starters for long periods last season, for a superstar and less bench ceiling and no depth.

That's BEFORE you lose OG and McCaw....

Comment

That's why I included in my original post "I get that the NBA is rolling in dough"

But players did make the equivalent of 35-45M, relative to the cap. If you think 35-45M hamstrings a team in a 100+M cap era, then the 21-27M contracts of the 2005-2015 era (with salary caps in the 50-60M range) were equally a handicap to their team.

If you want to go back to before the luxury tax era, are you advocating for the bygone days of Michael Jordan earning literally the entire cap for the Bulls? He made 30M and 33M in 1996-97 and 97-98. The salary cap in those years was 24M and 27M. And I doubt you'll find a strong argument for how that prevented the Bulls from having success in those two seasons.

The reality is, star players are currently dramatically underpaid in the NBA relative to their peers.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

But players did make the equivalent of 35-45M, relative to the cap. If you think 35-45M hamstrings a team in a 100+M cap era, then the 21-27M contracts of the 2005-2015 era (with salary caps in the 50-60M range) were equally a handicap to their team.

If you want to go back to before the luxury tax era, are you advocating for the bygone days of Michael Jordan earning literally the entire cap for the Bulls? He made 30M and 33M in 1996-97 and 97-98. The salary cap in those years was 24M and 27M. And I doubt you'll find a strong argument for how that prevented the Bulls from having success in those two seasons.

The reality is, star players are currently dramatically underpaid in the NBA relative to their peers.
                    Every dime .. every nickle .. every penny anyone can get out of the NBA is just fine with me....

The players earned it... they busted ass to get to this point....all the US guys get outright shafted along the way .. most notably by the NCAA where everyone makes out like bandits but them......then they get the rookie scale contracts for 4 years....finally they get one or two shots at serious serious money....

Good on them.. as much as you can carry...

There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                    - TGO

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
                      Down goes Portland.
                      They were up big in this game (up 17) but couldn’t close it out.
                      Third game in a row, Blazers up by double digits at half then lost it in the 3rd / 4th quarter. What happened? Lilliard tried to take over scoring and GSW ganged up on him.

Comment

Based on an entire season, who said depth was supposed to be the Raptors strength before the playoffs started???
                        I want names and addresses!

The bench was destroyed (for good reason) when we promoted Siakam and traded Poeltl. We further stripped it when we shipped out Wright, JV and to a lesser extent, Miles.

We knew MONTHS ago that the latest greatest idea was to untimately sacrifice depth and the bench that carried our starters for long periods last season, for a superstar and less bench ceiling and no depth.

That's BEFORE you lose OG and McCaw....
                        It's T-Rex..... your last line is the most important one. Both OG and McCaw would have seen the floor, especially OG, in the last two series but both are unavailable. Any word on whether either guy will be available at all in the playoffs?

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

It's T-Rex..... your last line is the most important one. Both OG and McCaw would have seen the floor, especially OG, in the last two series but both are unavailable. Any word on whether either guy will be available at all in the playoffs?
                          OG is still not determined but as we all saw, is travelling with the team and was reported as perticipating on on-court no contact conditioning. McCaw has the ubitquitous "personal reasons" flu which can mean anything from having a baby, health, to legal or substance abuse issues. He's been gone too long for it not to be semi-serious.

Comment

OG is still not determined but as we all saw, is travelling with the team and was reported as perticipating on on-court no contact conditioning. McCaw has the ubitquitous "personal reasons" flu which can mean anything from having a baby, health, to legal or substance abuse issues. He's been gone too long for it not to be semi-serious.
                            McCaw's brother died.
                            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

McCaw's brother died.
                              That is sad being so young.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

McCaw's brother died.
                                where did you hear that. that's terrible

Comment

Working...