Announcement

Collapse

Raptors Republic Android & iOS App

Hey guys and gals,

We're running a, how should I say, pilot or beta version of our new Raptors Republic app. We haven't made it official as we're still trying to work out some bugs while improving the user interface. So, its not the final version so expect to see more changes over the next while.

Anyhow, please feel free to download. Available on both Android & iPhone. It's absolutely free.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rsrepublic.app

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6946?ls=1&mt=8

If we could ask a favour though. We're welcoming feedback and suggestions on perhaps things you'd like to see. At the end of the day we're doing this for you guys by making everything here easier available for you the user. Please send your feedback (Regardless if its positive or negative) to raptorsrepublic@gmail.com.

Thanks in advance and we hope you guys enjoy the application.
See more
See less

Everything Playoffs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Maury
    started a topic Everything Playoffs

    Everything Playoffs

    List your top 8 in both conferences, and playoff brackets if you want to. Also, predict the worst teams in the league as well.

    Here’s mine:

    East

    1. Toronto
    2. Boston
    3. Indiana
    4. Philly
    5. Milwaukee
    6. Washington
    7. Detroit
    8. Miami
    9. Cleveland

    West

    1. Golden State
    2. LA Lakers
    3. Houston
    4. Denver
    5. Utah
    6. Minnesota
    7. San Antonio
    8. New Orleans
    9. Portland

    Worst team in the league: Atlanta.

  • Apollo
    replied
    Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

    Are you saying that despite reams of evidence to the contrary that if Magic Johnson self identify's as an overtly successful NBA GM then it is so because he thinks he is ?

    He would have had a chance to back the ship back off the rocks he steered them on but have to think it was the thinnest of possibilities.
    Players and their agents aren't thick. If it burns and it smells its a dumpster fire. And thats what the Lakers are right now.
    Its going to take an awful lot fabreeze to take out the smell from the Magic Johsnon NBA exec era.
    Did I forget to mention the two tampering fines.
    In way over his head.
    I'm not sure what you're asking in the first paragraph but what I'm saying is just because you have a conclusion doesn't mean the person living the life has the same conclusion. In fact it would be unlikely seeing how he wouldn't be able to look at his own decisions objectively. Its easy for you to conclude these things and cast judgement because you're not in his shoes living it daily. You don't have an emotional investment, so yeah, I stick by what I said because its backed up by human nature.

    I also think you're exaggerating when you say they're on "the rocks", pretty dramatic there. Bron and Ball got hurt and they fell from 4th out of the playoffs. He rolled the dice on getting AD and it blew up in his face but Pelinka is the GM, he's in bed with the guy, its not just Magic and when you gamble sometimes you lose. Pelinka was there first and Magic wasn't allowed to fire him when he came on. This off season the team has all it needs to rebound: LeBron, cap space, prospects, top five lotto pick. Magic didn't walk away because he was scared, I don't buy it and it doesn't tie to the rumors which Magic himself confirmed today. So unless you think Magic is a dirty liar there's nothing more to cover.

    Leave a comment:


  • Zak24gege
    replied
    Magic was in way over his head, he knew it and bailed.

    Leave a comment:


  • Demographic Shift
    replied
    Apollo wrote: View Post
    Again, what you think of him and what he thinks of himself may be two different things. You might want to consider that possibility.

    He had a chance this summer to redeem himself. He had the pieces to do it. Whether he could or couldn't is another matter but he had the pieces. He caught everyone off guard by resigning. From what I read he resigned because he felt betrayed, not because he felt incompetent.
    Are you saying that despite reams of evidence to the contrary that if Magic Johnson self identify's as an overtly successful NBA GM then it is so because he thinks he is ?

    He would have had a chance to back the ship back off the rocks he steered them on but have to think it was the thinnest of possibilities.
    Players and their agents aren't thick. If it burns and it smells its a dumpster fire. And thats what the Lakers are right now.
    Its going to take an awful lot fabreeze to take out the smell from the Magic Johsnon NBA exec era.
    Did I forget to mention the two tampering fines.
    In way over his head.
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Today, 02:48 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • NoPropsneeded
    replied
    I'd have to agree with Demo here. Magic had the luxury of capspace and LeBron wanting to sign with the Lakers, he made some big boneheaded mistakes. That AD blunder being one of the biggest, what kind of team president speaks openly about wanting another teams player? That alone just shows how out of place he was and how little he knows about being in an NBA front office. Being a legend does not mean you will be good at any role related to the league. Being a great player and being a great president are two totally different things with two totally different skill sets.

    Leave a comment:


  • slaw
    replied
    Magic is a successful businessman as well. I think what that episode shows is that running an NBA is not a part time gig. You need to be in 100%. Also you need to be up to speed on the current NBA. Not sure Magic was either of those.

    Leave a comment:


  • Apollo
    replied
    Again, what you think of him and what he thinks of himself may be two different things. You might want to consider that possibility.

    He had a chance this summer to redeem himself. He had the pieces to do it. Whether he could or couldn't is another matter but he had the pieces. He caught everyone off guard by resigning. From what I read he resigned because he felt betrayed, not because he felt incompetent.

    Leave a comment:


  • Demographic Shift
    replied
    Apollo wrote: View Post

    Thanks but what does your opinion of his performance have to do with what he thought of himself? This is Magic Johnson were talking about. He's been mostly a winner his whole life. He's likely not viewing himself objectively like you might be. Fact is, he's Magic Johnson, he had LeBron, significant cap space, picks and prospects. He had everything working in his favor except for the behind the scenes in house garbage. He had to deal with the Rambis' and Kobe influencing Jeanie. He had Pelinka stirring descent within the building. Pelinka was undermining him. Since he left the team has been a disaster (and no they weren't a disaster before he left, they were 4th seed before injuries to Bron and Ball). Even if he's not a good President you can see things have gotten worse, right? It's because the same problem makers are still causing problems.
    So let me gently lob this back...

    I too like to think I have been a succesful all my life.... a significant other who can still stand me after a decade or so... doing ok at work to the point where I can take the xtended family on my dime to a nice vakay... .. yet.... I still don't think I am trudeau level arrogant enough that I can put on a surgical gown and do a stent implant at toronto general because of my good fortune on the aforementioned....

    Magic was a great player.. in the discussion of the top 5 all time....but that doesn't translate easily to the exec suite where he is an abject failure on the level of Melanie Joly

    A quick look at his body of work.....
    ..
    - he dumped Brook Lopez who is an integral part of the Bucks success for nada
    - he dumped Russell like an extra packet of ketchup to the Nets to unload the Mozgov deal.... and he got incredibly lucky with the shit return of a 27th pick in the draft by picking up Kuzma.. which he didn't pick.. but his scouting staff did.. google the 25th to 30th players selected in that draft and tell me they didn't get shithouse lucky... cuz without Kuzma thats as lopsided a trade as it gets...
    - he let a 5th overall pick in Julius Randle go for nothing... to create cap space.. to sign the likes of Beasly ' Rondo , McGee , Stevenson and wound up holding his dick after he signed Lebron.. which may or may not work out...
    - he royally fucked up the negotiations with Dell Demps in NOLA by going all in on the first card for Anthony Davis..... he had nothing left to give when on the second round...and he lost the deal which he tried to negotiate through the media...
    - he alientated his younger core of players in Kuzma.. Ingram and Ball and perhaps even Hart with his failed trade attempt at AD... they weren't the same after the trade deadline... he tried to mollify them.... I think fuck off from a a rookie corps is the same as fuck off from a veteran core...
    - the Clippers and a pro exec with a track record in Jerry West laughed at him when he called them up to give them a promising young centre in Zubic.. he paid them to take him.. while holding on to the likes of JaVale McGee and Rajon Rondo and Lance Stevenson... uber idiots to the max.....

    Magic is a legend.. a HoF who has a place in the game forever as a player....
    but as an exec... he is rightly viewed as being at the level of sweeping out the aisles of popcorn and peanut husks post game.
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Today, 12:55 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Apollo
    replied
    Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

    Love you like a brother..but wholeheartedly disagree..

    Magic Johnson like his peer Micheal Jordan is as bad an executive as they come. Short sighted and thin skinned and trying to be everyone’s best friend are not traits for a successful front office type.
    Magic Jonson the exec is as abjectly bad as it gets.
    Thanks but what does your opinion of his performance have to do with what he thought of himself? This is Magic Johnson were talking about. He's been mostly a winner his whole life. He's likely not viewing himself objectively like you might be. Fact is, he's Magic Johnson, he had LeBron, significant cap space, picks and prospects. He had everything working in his favor except for the behind the scenes in house garbage. He had to deal with the Rambis' and Kobe influencing Jeanie. He had Pelinka stirring descent within the building. Pelinka was undermining him. Since he left the team has been a disaster (and no they weren't a disaster before he left, they were 4th seed before injuries to Bron and Ball). Even if he's not a good President you can see things have gotten worse, right? It's because the same problem makers are still causing problems.

    Leave a comment:


  • Demographic Shift
    replied
    Apollo wrote: View Post
    Magic had cap space to sign a superstar, enough assets to trade for another star. He wasn't perfect but he didn't step down because he ruined the team. In fact him stepping down hurt the team.
    Love you like a brother..but wholeheartedly disagree..

    Magic Johnson like his peer Micheal Jordan is as bad an executive as they come. Short sighted and thin skinned and trying to be everyone’s best friend are not traits for a successful front office type.
    Magic Jonson the exec is as abjectly bad as it gets.
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Today, 11:34 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Apollo
    replied
    Magic had cap space to sign a superstar, enough assets to trade for another star. He wasn't perfect but he didn't step down because he ruined the team. In fact him stepping down hurt the team.

    Leave a comment:


  • Demographic Shift
    replied
    Https://www.si.com/nba/2019/05/20/magic-johnson-rob-pelinka-backstabbing-first-take-resignation-explained

    Magic Johnson fucked things up so bad in Lakerland that on his own volition and with the stark realization how poorly he mishandled things he had to resign before face planting from the 57th storey of Laker corporate HQ.

    Magics ego is so effing big that even after a scant few weeks he was not able to wear the goat horns that he so richly deserves...Magic is now looking to blame someone else for his own incompetence.

    To show just how bad this latrine of a franchise the Lakers have become...he points the finger at a guy whose profile in the hierarchy in LA is so low he has ask permission to order cheese on a ham and cheese sandwich...

    Right..

    Magic is unlikely to ever work again in the NBA in a serious management role based solely on merit.
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Today, 11:29 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Apollo
    replied
    The Great One wrote: View Post
    Magic just called Rob Pelinka a backstabber!! LOL i'm LOVIN this Lakers drama.
    Magic is a good man. Since he's left the light has been shined on the problems. I do t blame him for bailing, he has a good life and doesn't need that bullshit.

    Leave a comment:


  • The Great One
    replied
    Magic just called Rob Pelinka a backstabber!! LOL i'm LOVIN this Lakers drama.

    Leave a comment:


  • G__Deane
    replied
    Trail Blazers' Lillard says he'll play through separated ribs

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X