Announcement

Collapse

Raptors Republic Android & iOS App

Hey guys and gals,

We're running a, how should I say, pilot or beta version of our new Raptors Republic app. We haven't made it official as we're still trying to work out some bugs while improving the user interface. So, its not the final version so expect to see more changes over the next while.

Anyhow, please feel free to download. Available on both Android & iPhone. It's absolutely free.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rsrepublic.app

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6946?ls=1&mt=8

If we could ask a favour though. We're welcoming feedback and suggestions on perhaps things you'd like to see. At the end of the day we're doing this for you guys by making everything here easier available for you the user. Please send your feedback (Regardless if its positive or negative) to raptorsrepublic@gmail.com.

Thanks in advance and we hope you guys enjoy the application.
See more
See less

Raptors Defense

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Raptors Defense

    You might want to have a read of this article from the front section:
    http://www.nba.com/article/2018/09/2...john-schuhmann

    It suggests that the Raptors ranked top five in defense last year because they feasted off of the bottom 20 ranked teams and were much worse against top ranked teams. Their problems in the playoffs were an exclamation point on that stat.

    The good news is that this year may see some real change.

    "It's possible that, with a year of NBA experience under his belt, Anunoby will be one of the league's best wing defenders this season. If so, if Leonard is healthy, and if Green doesn't see much drop-off at the age of 31, the Raptors will have three of league's best wing defenders. Not only will they be able to put together some terrific defensive lineups, but they'll also (and maybe more importantly) be able to keep at least one stopper on the floor at all times."

    This will be an interesting storyline for the season. How do they do defensively on the perimeter, which was the big differentiator last season. If they can contain other teams 3 pt shooters, they will be legit. Of course, it's no secret that their ultimate target of an NBA championship requires them to solve the 3 pt defensive riddle because of the teams they have to go through to get there.

  • #2
    Puffer wrote: View Post
    You might want to have a read of this article from the front section:
    http://www.nba.com/article/2018/09/2...john-schuhmann

    It suggests that the Raptors ranked top five in defense last year because they feasted off of the bottom 20 ranked teams and were much worse against top ranked teams. Their problems in the playoffs were an exclamation point on that stat.

    The good news is that this year may see some real change.

    "It's possible that, with a year of NBA experience under his belt, Anunoby will be one of the league's best wing defenders this season. If so, if Leonard is healthy, and if Green doesn't see much drop-off at the age of 31, the Raptors will have three of league's best wing defenders. Not only will they be able to put together some terrific defensive lineups, but they'll also (and maybe more importantly) be able to keep at least one stopper on the floor at all times."

    This will be an interesting storyline for the season. How do they do defensively on the perimeter, which was the big differentiator last season. If they can contain other teams 3 pt shooters, they will be legit. Of course, it's no secret that their ultimate target of an NBA championship requires them to solve the 3 pt defensive riddle because of the teams they have to go through to get there.
    yup this was actually talked about before the nba article. ... we will be a lot better this year and without having it be inflated

    Comment


    • #3
      Puffer wrote: View Post
      You might want to have a read of this article from the front section:
      http://www.nba.com/article/2018/09/2...john-schuhmann

      It suggests that the Raptors ranked top five in defense last year because they feasted off of the bottom 20 ranked teams and were much worse against top ranked teams. Their problems in the playoffs were an exclamation point on that stat.

      The good news is that this year may see some real change.

      "It's possible that, with a year of NBA experience under his belt, Anunoby will be one of the league's best wing defenders this season. If so, if Leonard is healthy, and if Green doesn't see much drop-off at the age of 31, the Raptors will have three of league's best wing defenders. Not only will they be able to put together some terrific defensive lineups, but they'll also (and maybe more importantly) be able to keep at least one stopper on the floor at all times."

      This will be an interesting storyline for the season. How do they do defensively on the perimeter, which was the big differentiator last season. If they can contain other teams 3 pt shooters, they will be legit. Of course, it's no secret that their ultimate target of an NBA championship requires them to solve the 3 pt defensive riddle because of the teams they have to go through to get there.
      Fool's Gold. We were the definition of that.

      As much as we Raptor fans hated the US media, Paul Pierce, Shaq, Screamin' A, Skip Bayless, etc... for pointing out this fact - they really had the Casey/Derozan/Lowry core pegged when it came to the playoffs. The worst thing was that a good portion of that was mental toughness, Derozan's flaws and Casey's inability to adjust.... not physical talent or depth. Seeing how the Pacers almost knocked out Lebron, while we were swept and DeMar got benched was probably the final straw for Masai.

      Comment


      • #4
        golden wrote: View Post
        Fool's Gold. We were the definition of that.

        As much as we Raptor fans hated the US media, Paul Pierce, Shaq, Screamin' A, Skip Bayless, etc... for pointing out this fact - they really had the Casey/Derozan/Lowry core pegged when it came to the playoffs. The worst thing was that a good portion of that was mental toughness, Derozan's flaws and Casey's inability to adjust.... not physical talent or depth. Seeing how the Pacers almost knocked out Lebron, while we were swept and DeMar got benched was probably the final straw for Masai.
        Of course, the flip side of this is that this year is different. Better personnel, both by addition and development. Quicker rotation adjustments from Nurse should help. I would not be surprised to see the Raptors voce again top five, but legitimately so.

        Comment


        • #5
          Yeah this year we know what stats to ignore and what stats you should pay attention to.
          All man. All amazing.

          Comment


          • #6
            Did the East improve that much between last season to this season? Our roster did...significantly, so why aren't we more assured that this team should do much better than last season?

            Comment


            • #7
              LJ2 wrote: View Post
              Did the East improve that much between last season to this season? Our roster did...significantly, so why aren't we more assured that this team should do much better than last season?
              We should be. I'll admit I had a lot more faith in that top five defense ranking than I should have. Definitely fools gold as golden says above,

              Comment


              • #8
                This is why I completely ignore stats.

                Comment


                • #9
                  grindhouse wrote: View Post
                  This is why I completely ignore stats.
                  A good way to make sure you are wrong all of the time instead of some of the time.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    grindhouse wrote: View Post
                    This is why I completely ignore stats.
                    Grandpa?
                    It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      KeonClark wrote: View Post
                      Grandpa?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Lowry, Green, Kawhi and OG (if he's PF) is easily the best defensive 5 in the league... even GS will have their work cut out with this lineup.

                        Lowry on Curry
                        Green on Thompson
                        Kawhi on Durant
                        OG on Green

                        would be fun to see...if Lowry is too slow this year I would put Delon on Curry

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          grindhouse wrote: View Post
                          This is why I completely ignore stats.
                          Never.....I repeat, NEVER ignore stats. Just understand the context of what you're reading.

                          Knowledge is power!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I know it's literally one pre-season game, but the Raptors don't look up to par defensively.. yet.

                            Nurse said they're behind on schedule in regards to the defensive schemes. However, with the talent they have on that end of the floor, it'll likely gel pretty quickly.
                            Twitter: @ReubenJRD NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
                              I know it's literally one pre-season game, but the Raptors don't look up to par defensively.. yet.

                              Nurse said they're behind on schedule in regards to the defensive schemes. However, with the talent they have on that end of the floor, it'll likely gel pretty quickly.
                              They played a lot of man to man.. and I don't recall a single switch. I don't think they played "defense" the way they want yet. Hopefully by game 3 or 4 in the preseason we'll see more defensive schemes being used. Especially once OG is playing.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X