Time to scrap the bench mob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to scrap the bench mob

Delon and pascal need to be in our starting line up along with JV Kawhi and Lowry. They are our future and it’s time win or lose they get thrown into the deep end.

I don’t think ppl realize how much our perimeter defence gets broken down. Pascal has the athletic ability to run to baseline as a weak side shot block. He is the only player with enough length and quickness to do this ibaka days are done as a rim protector.

Og needs to be the sixth man so all we lose is ball handling when he comes in.

Every 3rd or forth or 5th possession run a play for JV, force the play if need be cause the other team needs to remember that they have to defend the post.

Everyone on this team needs to practice and practice setting screens cause this is the worst I have ever seen except JV.

I'd rather have OG starting instead of Siakam.

Siakam and FVV have developed some nice chemistry. I like the idea of them playing together as much as possible.

Comment

Wouldn't want Delon starting unless he is way more aggressive taking threes, so I'd like to see that first before dropping him into the lineup. Same goes for Pascal - I'd prefer to maintain the spacing in the starting unit to let JV and Kawhi go to work inside (and early returns suggest we'll see a lot more of Lowry getting inside with ease as well with shooters around him), so until Pascal shows he can hit corner threes (at least) with consistency, I'd be waiting on including him as well. Especially since the bench unit IS great, and can run other benches out of the gym a lot of nights, so until there's a good reason to break them up, we shouldn't.

Starting unit has to be KL-KL-JV, plus either OG-DG or OG-SI. For the moment, at least, IMO. I could see a young guy earning a way in during the season, and wouldn't mind those guys getting the first shots if there are injuries or rest nights.

One other thing - the Raptors are going to be in cap hell if they re-sign Kawhi, so it makes at least a little sense to keep Delon a bench player for one more season, so they can re-sign him cheaper next summer.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Yeah I think KL1, KL2, OG and JV should be starters.. and that 5th guy would depend on match-ups. Whether its some combination of Delon, Serge, Green, or even Norm. I don't think Nurse is going to pencil in his starters for 82 games. He'll change things up. But it really depends on the match up more than anything for me.

But I'd rather have OG start than come off the bench. He may be our best 3&D wing on the team (after Kawhi). Defense helps in the first quarter. He creates space for Kawhi and Kyle. Plus he's a great defender. The only thing he really needs to improve on his rebounding.. but if JV starts that's not really that big of a problem.

Siakam is an energy player.. and you need that spark off the bench.

Comment

I read the title and opened the thread thinking grindhouse was challenging fred delon cj and Pascal to a fist fight

I'm not mad just disappointed
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
            Yeah I think KL1, KL2, OG and JV should be starters.. and that 5th guy would depend on match-ups. Whether its some combination of Delon, Serge, Green, or even Norm. I don't think Nurse is going to pencil in his starters for 82 games. He'll change things up. But it really depends on the match up more than anything for me.

But I'd rather have OG start than come off the bench. He may be our best 3&D wing on the team (after Kawhi). Defense helps in the first quarter. He creates space for Kawhi and Kyle. Plus he's a great defender. The only thing he really needs to improve on his rebounding.. but if JV starts that's not really that big of a problem.

Siakam is an energy player.. and you need that spark off the bench.
            Regarding OG's rebounding, it's hard to gauge. Last year he was often on the other team's best perimeter player, so rarely in a great position to rebound. He has the body for it and was a decent rebounder in college.

Also, it's not like the alternatives are better. Our other wings certainly aren't great rebounders.

Siakam has rebounded well in the first couple of games. Maybe he's motivated since he knows he'll get to push. It wasn't the strongest part of his game last year.

Ibaka is also a fairly unimpressive rebounder.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
              Delon and pascal need to be in our starting line up along with JV Kawhi and Lowry. They are our future and it’s time win or lose they get thrown into the deep end.

I don’t think ppl realize how much our perimeter defence gets broken down. Pascal has the athletic ability to run to baseline as a weak side shot block. He is the only player with enough length and quickness to do this ibaka days are done as a rim protector.

Og needs to be the sixth man so all we lose is ball handling when he comes in.

Every 3rd or forth or 5th possession run a play for JV, force the play if need be cause the other team needs to remember that they have to defend the post.

Everyone on this team needs to practice and practice setting screens cause this is the worst I have ever seen except JV.
              Isn't who ends the game more important then who ends it ..

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                I read the title and opened the thread thinking grindhouse was challenging fred delon cj and Pascal to a fist fight

I'm not mad just disappointed
                I was gonna start a "time to scrap silly hot takes after pre-season games" thread.

But the I quickly realized, it's RR, so what's the point...

Comment

guyroch wrote: View Post
                  Isn't who ends the game more important then who ends it ..
                  This is really deep and profound

Comment

I knew this was coming after one preseason game.
                    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

What I prefer to be honest, after watching last night, Serge starts and JV comes off the bench.

Serge is a better defender and rim protector than JV, and on that lineup, will spread the floor for Kawhi who will likely take the bulk of his offence in the mid-range/low to high post.

Lowry-Green-Kawhi-OG-Serge is pretty insane defensively, with a ton of shooting around the star players.

Last year, and the first two preseason games, when the bench mob gets into the halfcourt, they struggle to find a consistent scoring option when the ball isn't hopping around off momentum. Put JV alongside Fred-Delon-Miles-Siakam, and you have a primary option, especially in the paint, who has flourished thus far under Nurse.

I like how JV looked with the bench mob, especially because he's the first look if they happen to get in a slower pace.
                      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I don't know, JV has looked better than Serge in both bench and starter units.

Serge can't set screens, gets beat on the glass, and was actually terrible at defending in these early, meaningless preseason games. I don't see any positive that is good enough to merit him starting at C over JV.

JV should start and stagger his minutes so he plays a bit with the bench. Serge should be at about the same minutes as last year and probably start at PF a lot of nights.

Monroe looks like a worse option than both so should play limited minutes.

*Also, they were posting Kawhi a lot on the right side, whereas JV likes the left block. And if JV also continues to shoot well, there is no reason spacing would be affected for Kawhi going to work down there. Meanwhile when Serge plays with them we have a hard time collapsing the D because all 5 guys sit on the perimeter and we don't have good screening...and as good as Kawhi and Lowry are, they aren't elite breakdown guys on the perimeter without a screen.

Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Oct 3, 2018, 02:17 PM.

Comment

I think we'll see far less of the hockey lineups anyway this year, for a few reasons:

- Nick Nurse is not Dwane "Role Cards" Casey. Nurse has said over and over he wants to experiment and try things, I think he will.
                          - New roster - there isn't such a nice 5+5 split in the top 10 guys anymore, 2 starters arrived in the trade and 1 starter + 1 bench guy went out
                          - Green and Ibaka may or may not be declining as two of the oldest guys on the team, while some combination of Siakam, Delon, and FVV will be earning more and more minutes as they develop. One of the currently projected 5 starters could easily lose his spot by the end of the season, but even that won't be a flip of the switch - it's more likely to be a gradual transition that may even take longer than this season.

I'll bet "mix and match" is more of a theme this season than "bench mob."
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Why cant starting nba lineups be fluid, based on opponent, who's rolling, etc? After KL squared we have 8 or 9 guys that profile as "good starter, amazing bench player" with little separation. I should hope it changes often

Comment

Also we kind of do need to change the rotation philosophy. Bench mob needs to stagger with starters more in general. This was a problem under Casey where Lowry and DeMar might get nightly minutes with the bench, but otherwise they frequently had 5-man bench lineups.

Chemistry can't be so fragile with those guys that we can't mix it up. We know they have some issues scoring in the halfcourt.

Comment

Working...
                              X