Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PRESEASON GAME 4: Brooklyn Nets vs Toronto Raptors in Montreal - OCT 10, 2018, 7PM ET

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S.R. wrote: View Post
    That other teams start their big frontcourts and finish small (if not with starters) is the other issue. Ibaka's going to have 48 minutes of foul trouble if he has to start against Cousins, Drummond, Embiid, etc.
    Which is why I suggested a matchup dependent fluid starting lineup. Ibaka when its a Horford or a Love at the 5, and Valanciunas when it's your standard Drummond or Howard lug.

Basketball is the only sport that for some reason needs this finality in the lineup..
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
      Which is why I suggested a matchup dependent fluid starting lineup. Ibaka when its a Horford or a Love at the 5, and Valanciunas when it's your standard Drummond or Howard lug.

Basketball is the only sport that for some reason needs this finality in the lineup..
      There is some logic in the sense that players need to develop a shooting "rhythm" which comes from consistency of role, touches, etc.... Starting and coming off the bench are very different in that regard. JV could be a primary scorer off the bench, but a 5th option as a starter. Steve Kerr said that the hardest thing for him as a player was the expectation that he was supposed to come in off the bench and start draining 3's immediately.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post

I'm sort of ok with it on Horford, but not on Love.

Love will take 3s when he's open, and Ibaka is at least as likely to leave him to help in the paint as JV. Love is also a pretty strong post player and great rebounder. Serge isn't a good rebounder and tends to be more foul prone in the post. Of course, the only thing I heard out of Cleveland, like a week or two ago, is that they will alternate starting Thompson and Nance at C.

At least Horford isn't a great rebounder and still tends to face up more.

There really aren't many C matchups where Ibaka is overall a better matchup than JV. Jokic? Well they start him with Millsap, so you need both bigs. Davis? He will probably eat up either guy, but I'd rather have the more physically imposing guy and better rebounder. May also need both bigs depending on who they start next to him.

Anyway, we'll see how things go. I also agree with the premise Dan outlined that it will be harder to play JV more minutes if you're starting him off the bench, because you squeeze his minutes into less overall time.

I also think there's still a good chance both start together a fair amount, though Nurse seems to be feeling out the 1-big lineups a lot so far, so we'll see.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
          See, this is my concern: if you are playing a guy 28 minutes, you should be starting him, because compressing 14 minute halves into the final 16-18 minutes of each half is a great way to end up with exhausted players at the end of the game. It's something Patterson struggled with a lot here when we were starting Scola and Siakam for no reason.
          Yeah... its hard to see more than 22 to 25 mins if JV doesnt start.

He could come in at the 6 min mark in the first.. then play to 8/9 mark in the second. 9-10 MINS
          Start the third and come out the 5/6 min mark... 6-7 MINS
          Back in in the fourth at the 8 min mark to close or come out with 3 to go if they go small to close... 5-8 MINS

Will be interesting to see what the Nets look like this year. .. They have upgraded the talent base a bit over last year with the addition of Faried.... D. Russell...RH Jefferson ...Jarrett Allan and Caris Levert should be better as well....and Dinwiddie is a pretty good scorer off the bench....They could squeak into the post season at 7 or 8.

This could be a playoff round 1 preview...
          Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue Oct 9, 2018, 08:02 PM.
          There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
          - TGO

Comment

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
            Yeah... its hard to see more than 22 to 25 mins if JV doesnt start.

He could come in at the 6 min mark in the first.. then play to 8/9 mark in the second. 9-10 MINS
            Start the third and come out the 5/6 min mark... 6-7 MINS
            Back in in the fourth at the 8 min mark to close or come out with 3 to go if they go small to close... 5-8 MINS

Will be interesting to see what the Nets look like this year. .. They have upgraded the talent base a bit over last year with the addition of Faried.... D. Russell...RH Jefferson ...Jarrett Allan and Caris Levert should be better as well....and Dinwiddie is a pretty good scorer off the bench....They could squeak into the post season at 7 or 8.

This could be a playoff round 1 preview...
            Good call on the Nets. They've quietly assembled 11-12 deep of quintessentially average NBA players, which is probably all you need to grab that last spot in the East these days.

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
              JV's Godaddy season was 2016-17, right? Why do we think this was cursed? In most stat categories, he had his best or second-best seasons to that point in his career. Second-most points, most rebounds, steals, assists, fewest turnovers, etc. Granted there were things he struggled with as well particularly defensively, but it's not what you'd call a 'cursed' season. It seems to me his season is getting a bad rep it doesn't deserve just so it can be lumped in with Norm's awful second season to form a narrative. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for labelling and being paranoid about curses where there's justification, but I don't think this is the case.
              Do you not remember what happened after Serge got here? Casey glued JV to the bench for most 4th quarters. It was bad enough before the trades (JV was 8th in fourth quarter minutes), but after Ibaka and Tucker arrived he was persona non grata at 10th.

Lowest minutes per game and blocks per game of his career, always getting the hook after strong first halves... it was definitely a cursed year imo.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                Do you not remember what happened after Serge got here? Casey glued JV to the bench for most 4th quarters. It was bad enough before the trades (JV was 8th in fourth quarter minutes), but after Ibaka and Tucker arrived he was persona non grata at 10th.

Lowest minutes per game and blocks per game of his career, always getting the hook after strong first halves... it was definitely a cursed year imo.
                He was also struggling defensively if I recall correctly

Comment

Game day!
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Norm is out today
                    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                      Norm is out today
                      That’s to bad...Norm could have built off that last game. Guess the charley horse is still not completely healed up. Better safe than sorry on an easily rehabbed injury.
                      - TGO

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                        Good call on the Nets. They've quietly assembled 11-12 deep of quintessentially average NBA players, which is probably all you need to grab that last spot in the East these days.
                        Think they picked up the pretty dependable Boss Davis as well...
                        The Nets just might have enough giddyup in a what looks to be a claiming race in the east to “Show”.
                        - TGO

Comment

When do the games start to count?

9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                            Think they picked up the pretty dependable Boss Davis as well...
                            The Nets just might have enough giddyup in a what looks to be a claiming race in the east to “Show”.
                            Ed Davis is underrated. Uber efficient, tough, consistent. He does everything Tristan Thompson does at 1/4 the price. Slightly better, actually. Check out this comparison.

http://bkref.com/tiny/rx4UM

Comment

Have they announced the starters for the game?

Comment

LJ2 wrote: View Post
                                Have they announced the starters for the game?
                                Nope, not yet.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X