Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game #15 Toronto Raptors 104 (12-3) - Detroit Pistons 106 (7-6)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.I wrote: View Post
    As Dan said, FVV and Wright just need to switch roles. Wright took some bad 3s last game, when he should be the main ball handler and FVV should be the one spotting up.
    They do need to do that, but Siakam as a third ball handler really takes the pressure off of both FVV and Wright.

Really, we're getting to the point where there is an obvious path to try (after giving a fully healthy bench a few games to fail as constructed just to be sure). Set up your rotation starting with the bench units - Serge and Siakam at the big spots to end the 1st and 3rd and open the 2nd and 4th. Then depending on who starts, you tweak the rotations for the rest of those quarters accordingly.

For example, if JV starts (in my opinion beside OG), then you just run that starting lineup for the first 8 minutes of the 1st and 3rd, and swap in the bench with 4 minutes left, with ~2 minutes of KL-KL overlap across frontcourts. Then you do the inverse in the 2nd, where you bring back at least one of KL-KL with about 8 minutes left, leave Serge and Siakam in for ~4 minutes, then close with the starting group.

Whereas if Serge starts, you run that starting group for only the first 5 minutes of the 1st/3rd, swap in JV-OG at that point to run with KL-KL, and then bring Serge-Siakam back in with the bench once KL-KL are fully off the court (about the 10 minute mark, based on rotations thus far). Serge-Siakam start the 2nd/4th, and sub out about 4 minutes in once one of KL-KL are back on the court. JV-OG run for about 5 minutes, then you close with Serge-Siakam for the final 3 minutes of the Q.

That second set has about 28 minutes for the starting frontcourt and 20 for the bench frontcourt (closer to 24 and 24 in the case where JV starts since the minutes have skewed that way thus far), to align with the current minutes breakdown while reallocating those minutes where players will be most useful.

I'm reminded of a growing trend in hockey analysis where it is recognized that teammate impact on a player's performance is far greater than opponent impact on a player's performance, and I think the same logic should apply here. Offensive and defensive fit within a lineup matters on both ends on every play. Defensive matchups will only sporadically matter, and only matter enough to change things significantly in the most extreme mismatches. We should sort out our best units and rotation, allowing for the most extreme matchup options (who starts at C, in our case) to be accommodated, and let the chips fall where they may for a while. Then use that experience trying that to evaluate if more extreme matchup flexibility is even needed.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Fury wrote: View Post
      Media in Toronto is TOXIC. They are the real enemy of the people.

If Kawhi leaves in the offseason, then the media there is one of the reason why.
      The Sun is a joke. But Kawhi isn't above criticism.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
        Pascal Siakam was huge for the bench last year. Maybe it's time to treat Pascal as third star and have him play with the bench more? I still want to rest Kawhi and Lowry but Siakam should be fine. I honestly rather have him initiate actions and have Wright and FVV spot up or make second read.
        That should help. With his emergence, Pascal gives the bench a legitimate scoring threat at all times plus a 3rd ball handler. Whether you run plays for him or not, he can still clean up some of the messes like last year. FVV & Wright need a guy like that, plus a floor spacer.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
          The Sun is a joke. But Kawhi isn't above criticism.
          No he's not. But what is there to criticize?

- Too much iso? that's on the COACH. You also have to give Stanley Johnson some credit because he played him well defensively.

Kawhi actually played well last night, he was great defensively, and shot 56% from the floor.

Iso-ing him every possession late in the 4th was stupid. He's a great scorer but he's not an iso guy like a Kobe or a Durant.
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The problem with this team believe it or not us their offence not defence.

1. They are playing too fast hence the turnovers. They don't really have the personnel to play a run and gun style offense. And their best player is certainly not a run and gun guy. Nurse should know this.

2. Too much iso.

3. Shot selection is horrendous.
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

The problem with this team believe it or not us their offence not defence.

1. They are playing too fast hence the turnovers. They don't really have the personnel to play a run and gun style offense. And their best player is certainly not a run and gun guy. Nurse should know this.

2. Too much iso.

Speaking of offense, it's funny how nobody mentioned that we were missing our second leading scorer last night. That would be Serge Ibaka, unbelievable as it sounds. This team is becoming dependent on what he brings every night on both ends of the floor. Not having Ibaka and Danny Green on the floor had a lot to do with not being able to stop that 2nd half collapse.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                Speaking of offense, it's funny how nobody mentioned that we were missing our second leading scorer last night. That would be Serge Ibaka, unbelievable as it sounds. This team is becoming dependent on what he brings every night on both ends of the floor. Not having Ibaka and Danny Green on the floor had a lot to do with not being able to stop that 2nd half collapse.
                man do we really want to rely on Ibaka like this? I feel like regression is coming. I still don't trust that this is Ibaka we're getting
                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                  man do we really want to rely on Ibaka like this? I feel like regression is coming. I still don't trust that this is Ibaka we're getting
                  True. Pascal is emerging as that 2nd/3rd scorer, and that feels sustainable. But still, Ibaka's been getting easy buckets in transition, put-backs and dump-offs in the paint, which are also relatively sustainable.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                    Well, it had a lot to do with not being able to stop the bench collapsing. The Ibaka/JV C rotation is a major strength.

The late game collapse probably happens regardless, unless Nurse goes out of character and defends Griffin with Serge while JV takes Drummond.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

The problem with this team believe it or not us their offence not defence.

2. Too much iso.

There is no problem with this team (at the moment). They are playing .800 ball right now and could have easily won yesterdays game if they hit a few of their shots and if they had their regular rotation guys playing. I know the bench hasn't been greatl but we haven't needed them to be because our starters have been great so far. It's one thing for fans to start panicking and proposing changes, but if Nurse starts making changes already then I'd be worried about his belief in his own system. Pascal is having a breakout season and Serge is playing some of the best ball of his career and we're talking about moving them to the bench? What on earth is going on? Pascal going to be a key part of our success in the playoffs when teams are keying in on Kawhi and Lowry. He needs to play and build chemistry with the starters, not with the bench unit which won't be that big of a factor in playoffs.

I think we need to give it more time before figuring out if big changes like this are needed.

Comment

No he's not. But what is there to criticize?

- Too much iso? that's on the COACH. You also have to give Stanley Johnson some credit because he played him well defensively.

Kawhi actually played well last night, he was great defensively, and shot 56% from the floor.

Iso-ing him every possession late in the 4th was stupid. He's a great scorer but he's not an iso guy like a Kobe or a Durant.
                        Ya, I was speaking in general terms. Can't be worried about Toronto media affecting Kawhi's decision.

The only overt blunder last night was the potential game winning possession tossed away off his foot. But that's a statistical anomaly, I know.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                          There is no problem with this team (at the moment). They are playing .800 ball right now and could have easily won yesterdays game if they hit a few of their shots and if they had their regular rotation guys playing. I know the bench hasn't been greatl but we haven't needed them to be because our starters have been great so far. It's one thing for fans to start panicking and proposing changes, but if Nurse starts making changes already then I'd be worried about his belief in his own system. Pascal is having a breakout season and Serge is playing some of the best ball of his career and we're talking about moving them to the bench? What on earth is going on? Pascal going to be a key part of our success in the playoffs when teams are keying in on Kawhi and Lowry. He needs to play and build chemistry with the starters, not with the bench unit which won't be that big of a factor in playoffs.

I think we need to give it more time before figuring out if big changes like this are needed.
                          Well, I think it's fair to say that there have been issues. They are playing .800 ball in terms of wins, but their point differential points to .700 ball (still very good, though sub-60 wins) and their SOS has been very easy so if they keep playing like this you'd expect it to shrink a little further.

I also don't think much sample is needed to make a qualitative statement like "we should iso less" or stating that we have poor shot selection.

That said - obviously there's no need to panic. There's a lot of stuff they can do to fix a lot of their problems very easily. And they have all season to do that. It would be nice if they did those things sooner rather than later so I get to watch the solutions instead of the problems every game, but this isn't late enough in the season to be worrying about the team looking like this in the playoffs. Yet.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Its still early season. I’m not worried. Nurse is a first time head coach, Kawhi is a new superstar to our team who hasn’t played basketball in a year, there have been tons of injuries and the Raptors are 12-3. I’ll gladly take it.

Once the chemistry between Kawhi and the team get going and Kawhi returns to top form, this team will be deadly.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              Ya, I was speaking in general terms. Can't be worried about Toronto media affecting Kawhi's decision.

The only overt blunder last night was the potential game winning possession tossed away off his foot. But that's a statistical anomaly, I know.
                              Can't help but think if that had been DD the responses would have been somewhat different and more animated than a "statistical blunder"...

This is just an observation of current sentiment and not aimed at you..
                              There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                              - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                                Can't help but think if that had been DD the responses would have been somewhat different and more animated than a "statistical blunder"...

This is just an observation of current sentiment and not aimed at you..
                                When DD wins championship, finals mvp, 2 time dpoy, 2 time mvp finalist and 1st team all nba, he might command the same excuse and leeway

Way she goes
                                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X