Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 22: Toronto Raptors at Memphis Grizzlies - Tuesday November 27th 8pm ET SN1

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A.I
    replied
    S.R. wrote: View Post
    Honestly if the Raps are down and I check the game thread and see it's an exploding existential crisis, I usually check out. Don't need that drama in my life.

    Also am always rooting for the comeback but am irrationally superstitious about predictions.
    I just see it and laugh off all of the overreactions here.

    Leave a comment:


  • Puffer
    replied
    S.R. wrote: View Post
    ...Also am always rooting for the comeback but am irrationally superstitious about predictions.
    Raptor Lifer Gun Shy Syndrome!

    Leave a comment:


  • S.R.
    replied
    Honestly if the Raps are down and I check the game thread and see it's an exploding existential crisis, I usually check out. Don't need that drama in my life.

    Also am always rooting for the comeback but am irrationally superstitious about predictions.

    Leave a comment:


  • G__Deane
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post
    I ain't Neva scared
    I actually noted that at the time. You were like the salmon swimming upstream against the current
    I get kinda tired of saying, "chill, we got this"

    Leave a comment:


  • GOLDBLUM
    replied
    G__Deane wrote: View Post
    But the optimistic guys were afraid to post when we were down and vice versa
    I was scared to, yup. But mostly out of superstition.
    I was all in behind Keon and his confidence - and I still believed.

    Leave a comment:


  • KeonClark
    replied
    G__Deane wrote: View Post
    Butr the optimistic guys were afraid to post when we were down and vice versa
    I ain't Neva scared

    KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Yall are some dramatic fools for a first place team in November
    KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Salami and cheese down 13? Damn u been following nba basketball?
    KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Here comes the push! Go raps go

    Leave a comment:


  • G__Deane
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post
    The first group you posted was the pessimistic posters. The 2nd ground is the optimistic posters. There wasnt a big change of face just different guys lol
    But the optimistic guys were afraid to post when we were down and vice versa
    Last edited by G__Deane; Wed Nov 28, 2018, 03:08 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • inthepaint
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post
    This sounds pretty judgmental if you ask me....
    That's the truth though. Maybe using the term "unequipped" is a poor choice of word (almost everyone is equipped to see the good side, some people just choose not to), but there's nothing on that paragraph that should come as shocking . People make grand gloomy future predictions for the team based on bad quarters quite frequently, that's just the way it is. I used to put more weight on that fact, and be more bothered by that, but again like you pointed out, game threads are mostly hot takes.

    Leave a comment:


  • golden
    replied
    inthepaint wrote: View Post
    I'm not judging the trait, just pointing the fact that it exists.
    This sounds pretty judgmental if you ask me....

    inthepaint wrote: View Post
    A large swathe of the fanbase is completely unequipped to deal with bumpy stretches, and will jump ship and start eating their own at the mildest of adversities. I'm not talking just being pissed at a player in the heat of the moment because they made a bonehead play, everyone does that. It's the attempts to define the team's identity, and make grand doomsday predictions of the future based on what's happening in a random 3rd quarter of an 82-game season.

    Leave a comment:


  • inthepaint
    replied
    Well, It's not really a hot-take on hot takes based one one thread, because that happens pretty much on every thread if they're down, and when it happens repeatedly, it's a trait/trend, not a hot take. But it's ok, I'm not judging the trait, just pointing the fact that it exists.

    Like I said, this is part of being fan, and the basis for it may be grounded by the team's history. Basically just hoping it doesn't rub off on the team, because they need the confidence to bounce back from bad stretches. I don't think it does rub off, because even though they had trouble mentally in the past to bounce back after being hit, they've also had great comebacks, so I think they're pretty good insulating themselves and focusing on what they gotta do, in spite of social media being so pervasive among these young guys

    Also, not reading the whole fanbase based on this site, also looking at other platforms like Twitter, reddit etc..plus face to face interaction with other fans. I agree this board in general is significant more knowledgeable of the game and of the team in general then other places, but the meaningful insights/discussion about the true state of the team and its future usually come in the spring right after the playoffs in here. The game thread stuff are, like you say, just a bunch of guys on a bar cheering/screaming (which is a lot like other sites, and that's totally fine)

    Leave a comment:


  • golden
    replied
    inthepaint wrote: View Post
    Ditto. The Raptors fanbase as a whole is extremely insecure. Non-casual fans probably even more so. I'm no psychologist so I'm not gonna elaborate on the merits or justification for it (probably has something to do with the team's history), but it's pretty evident.

    A large swathe of the fanbase is completely unequipped to deal with bumpy stretches, and will jump ship and start eating their own at the mildest of adversities. I'm not talking just being pissed at a player in the heat of the moment because they made a bonehead play, everyone does that. It's the attempts to define the team's identity, and make grand doomsday predictions of the future based on what's happening in a random 3rd quarter of an 82-game season.

    But that's okay, maybe that's just part of being a fan. I just hope it doesn't rub off on the team because any team, even championship teams, will hit rough stretches on a long season. They haven't really hit theirs but that time will come. And when it comes, they gotta decide if they should roll in self loathing and wilt, or find their set of balls and fight back. It's very possible they'll find themselves down on playoff series, so games like this will help them develop that, especially in the young players.
    Game threads are ultimate hot-takes, man. I think you're trying to read something way deeper into it than that. You're kind of giving your hot-take judging the posters on this site after a game thread of hot-takes. A bit ironic. You have to look at it like a bunch of guys in a virtual bar drinking beers and cheering/screaming at the big screen after every play. Nothing more, nothing less.

    Using this site as a proxy for the fan-base is way off-base. This site is the complete opposite of the casual fan - it's the 99.99999999 percentile of the hardest of the hardcore Raptor fan. And to be fair to the long-time posters on this site, a large majority of them were exactly right in predicting the ceiling of this team would be limited by Casey, DeRozan and style of play in the playoffs, despite the continued regular season success. Masai was late to the party on that one. There are some pretty good basketball minds around here.
    Last edited by golden; Wed Nov 28, 2018, 12:54 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • LJ2
    replied
    We can win a lot of games this season if we keep shooting 50%+ from 3pt range.

    Leave a comment:


  • Jclaw
    replied
    G__Deane wrote: View Post
    It's funny when you watch the game at a bar and come home to read the last 15 pages on RR. A lot of funny in-game reactions like we've never seen a team come back from 10-15 down
    It's the same every game, Never give up on this team!

    And then it predictably turns to this

    Bring in the GSW. And don't give up on this team when/if the get down 10

    Leave a comment:


  • inthepaint
    replied
    G__Deane wrote: View Post
    It's funny when you watch the game at a bar and come home to read the last 15 pages on RR. A lot of funny in-game reactions like we've never seen a team come back from 10-15 down
    It's the same every game, Never give up on this team!

    ...

    ...

    ...


    And then it predictably turns to this

    ...

    ...

    ...


    Bring in the GSW. And don't give up on this team when/if the get down 10

    Ditto. The Raptors fanbase as a whole is extremely insecure. Non-casual fans probably even more so. I'm no psychologist so I'm not gonna elaborate on the merits or justification for it (probably has something to do with the team's history), but it's pretty evident.

    A large swathe of the fanbase is completely unequipped to deal with bumpy stretches, and will jump ship and start eating their own at the mildest of adversities. I'm not talking just being pissed at a player in the heat of the moment because they made a bonehead play, everyone does that. It's the attempts to define the team's identity, and make grand doomsday predictions of the future based on what's happening in a random 3rd quarter of an 82-game season.

    But that's okay, maybe that's just part of being a fan. I just hope it doesn't rub off on the team because any team, even championship teams, will hit rough stretches on a long season. They haven't really hit theirs but that time will come. And when it comes, they gotta decide if they should roll in self loathing and wilt, or find their set of balls and fight back. It's very possible they'll find themselves down on playoff series, so games like this will help them develop that, especially in the young players.

    Leave a comment:


  • KeonClark
    replied
    G__Deane wrote: View Post
    It's funny when you watch the game at a bar and come home to read the last 15 pages on RR. A lot of funny in-game reactions like we've never seen a team come back from 10-15 down
    It's the same every game, Never give up on this team!














    And then it predictably turns to this







    Bring in the GSW. And don't give up on this team when/if the get down 10
    The first group you posted was the pessimistic posters. The 2nd ground is the optimistic posters. There wasnt a big change of face just different guys lol

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X