X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark
    replied
    Raptor Jesus wrote: View Post
    It's not the NBA generating that revenue. The ratings matter to the NBA but it matters more to the individual channel that bought rights to broadcast which ever game to which ever market. They recoup the cost of rights by ad revenues mainly dictated by interest(ratings numbers and demographic).
    Yes, but good ratings should theoretically equal more money from tsn and sportsnet down the line. Which should factor in.

Leave a comment:

• Raptor Jesus
    replied
    S.R. wrote: View Post
    This is what I don't understand. Ratings are always just one side of the border or the other, and usually just for one network (like TNT). The NBA is generating revenue from all broadcasts. Why is there no summary to that effect?
    It's not the NBA generating that revenue. The ratings matter to the NBA but it matters more to the individual channel that bought rights to broadcast which ever game to which ever market. They recoup the cost of rights by ad revenues mainly dictated by interest(ratings numbers and demographic).

Leave a comment:

• TacoBreath
    replied
    Ratings are used for advertising purposes. The cost of commercials, that is. The companies that buy advertising are different between the US and Canada. A US rating means nothing to a Canadian company & vice versa. Even when it's basically the same corporation, like say Ford, there'll be different divisions, under different tax laws, and all that.

The Dallas Cowboys always get irrationally high ratings.

A great Knicks - Bucks game today. 🤗

Leave a comment:

• 3inthekeon
    replied
    The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
    Your sarcasm is a BIG FAIL. If I am a conspiracy theorist, why would I pick the Knicks to prove my point. That’s why I mentioned the Sixers/ Bucks and Celtics over a poor ratings magnet Raptors.
    Don't think Bucks would help ratings much, even with Giannis. There is no conspiracy is what I'm saying.

Leave a comment:

• 3inthekeon
    replied
    rocwell wrote: View Post
    What about Xmas games
    That goes to my point. Xmas games aren't a conspiracy, they are a choice. And no matter how shitty the Knicks are - and they are shitty more often than not, networks schedule the Knicks at Christmas because even a shitty Knicks team brings ratings.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    Tmac2darak wrote: View Post
    Unfortunately the same cant br said about American viewership.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018...s-raptors-tnt/
    Football.

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    Jclaw wrote: View Post
    This is the relevant part of the article for those of us who think Espn logically doesn’t choose to show toronto because that means they automatically lose half the viewership. It appears that happens for any team. Maybe it’s just TNT but still....

“Keep in mind that neither home market factored into the numbers. TNT’s broadcast was blacked out in the Bay Area and Toronto does not count toward U.S. TV ratings”
    This is what I don't understand. Ratings are always just one side of the border or the other, and usually just for one network (like TNT). The NBA is generating revenue from all broadcasts. Why is there no summary to that effect?

Leave a comment:

• The Claw Reborn
    replied
    sanyo wrote: View Post
    To be fair, Saints and Cowboys was the most anticipated game of the season for Football.

Also, Bay Area was blacked out of the TNT coverage...thats gotta be 300-500k there as well of people lost to the local Warriors TV channel.

And the late game was the last watched of the year as well so overall everything tanked
    Hopefully this valid excuse will stick in Silver’s eyes

Leave a comment:

• The Claw Reborn
    replied
    3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    Yup, there is a conspiracy to ensure ratings. That's why the Knicks are in the finals every year.
    Your sarcasm is a BIG FAIL. If I am a conspiracy theorist, why would I pick the Knicks to prove my point. That’s why I mentioned the Sixers/ Bucks and Celtics over a poor ratings magnet Raptors.

Leave a comment:

• rocwell
    replied
    3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    Yup, there is a conspiracy to ensure ratings. That's why the Knicks are in the finals every year.
    What about Xmas games

Leave a comment:

• sanyo
    replied
    The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
    Ouch....Adam Silver will not be happy.

Talking heads were all over yapping about the game but its all about making money and the bottomline.

Bucks/ Sixers/ Celtics vs. Warriors but not the Raps in the finals. Now the conspiracy thinking in me is fearful that the NBA will try their hardest to avoid a Raps vs. Warriors finals appearance.

Ugh
    To be fair, Saints and Cowboys was the most anticipated game of the season for Football.

Also, Bay Area was blacked out of the TNT coverage...thats gotta be 300-500k there as well of people lost to the local Warriors TV channel.

And the late game was the last watched of the year as well so overall everything tanked

Leave a comment:

• 3inthekeon
    replied

Leave a comment:

• The Claw Reborn
    replied

Ouch....Adam Silver will not be happy.

Talking heads were all over yapping about the game but its all about making money and the bottomline.

Bucks/ Sixers/ Celtics vs. Warriors but not the Raps in the finals. Now the conspiracy thinking in me is fearful that the NBA will try their hardest to avoid a Raps vs. Warriors finals appearance.

Ugh

Leave a comment:

• Jclaw
    replied
    This is the relevant part of the article for those of us who think Espn logically doesn’t choose to show toronto because that means they automatically lose half the viewership. It appears that happens for any team. Maybe it’s just TNT but still....

“Keep in mind that neither home market factored into the numbers. TNT’s broadcast was blacked out in the Bay Area and Toronto does not count toward U.S. TV ratings”

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied

Beat out the Clippers/King's game later that same night, with both teams being on the west coast which should have attracted some interest. Certainly the talking heads were all over the game as being the best of the season so far and a joy to watch for anyone who loves basketball. All super positive publicity. A lot of comment over the joy of the mano a mano nature of the contest, which threw some specific shade at the super team tendency of recent years.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X