Game #27: TOR @ BKN, Friday December 7th 2018, 7:30 PM ET, SN1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    We grabbed 80% of available defensive boards with JV on the court. Under 60% when he sat. That’s not luck.
    There were some orebs that happened when JV was sitting that were absolutely lucky, and they were probably the difference between winning and losing. But yes, obviously, the team rebounds better when he's on - I'm not arguing against that.
    "Stop eating your sushi."
    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
      Yeah, have to watch closer but it seems like teams are somewhat trying to take away Lowry and FVV’s passing lanes and contesting their 3s harder, in order to turn them into drivers and take their chances stopping them at the rim.
      This might be true, but tbh, I think they're both playing injured, and that's the real reason why they're looking so bad right now.
      "Stop eating your sushi."
      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• Again; didn't read all the thread, but can someone explain me why they put JV out near the end of the OT, last possession on D? Just to let Allen score on them?

Comment

• Watched this game at the bar and got so drunk I don’t remember any of it. Good one to “miss” sounds like.

Comment

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
            Again; didn't read all the thread, but can someone explain me why they put JV out near the end of the OT, last possession on D? Just to let Allen score on them?
            No one here can explain it to you.

I'm not sure Nurse could come up with a believable explanation.

The most likely explanation is Nurse made a really bad decision that made no sense, and deserves to be called an idiot for the way things played out.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              No one here can explain it to you.

I'm not sure Nurse could come up with a believable explanation.

The most likely explanation is Nurse made a really bad decision that made no sense, and deserves to be called an idiot for the way things played out.
              I thought we were done with these things

Comment

I think it's a conscious effort by opposing teams to turn FVV into a driver by cutting off his passing lanes and contesting his 3's harder. They're challenging him to finish at the rim, which is the weakest part of his game. It's a good strategy we need to adjust to. Conversely on defense, bigger guards like Russell and Dinwiddie are passing over Freddy and he's getting bumped off screens like he's not even there. Seems like a pro-active strategy by opposing teams to start picking on FVV at both ends.
                I don't disagree, but he is looking off the passes when they are there as well. Obviously the other team is trying to turn him into a driver, and he is seemingly willingly taking on the challenge.That's on Fred. I don't want to even guess how many times I've seen him run the p'n'r, have the window to make a pass through the D to JV, and doesn't just to continue his drive into what is now a double team after the defenders close the gap. He's the new DeMar of 4 years ago. Heck, sometimes he is even not making the high pass when it's there...and by high pass I mean just throwing it over the D, even if you can't make a clean pass because they have left JV alone on an island rolling to the rim, so as long as you pass or even shoot over the D, there's like a 90% chance JV will get it and score. FVV is short but if he can get an out of control layup to the backboard, he can make that play.

As for the defensive issues, to me this comes down to a similar problem we had under Casey with FVV. Him and Nurse both seem to think FVV can make up for his lack of size with scrappiness and savvy. That he can fit on a small "switch everything" unit. He doesn't. He is small, and can't switch. Realistically he should be a guy you try to hide, but it's hard to do that since he's so small. If the other team has a PG with size, it's hard to find a good matchup for him.

Comment

• The problem isn't that we lack shooters.

We were middle of the road last year in 3pt %. We got better shooters this year.

If you take out DeMar, Poeltl, Powell and Siakam (our worst shooters, two of which are gone for much better shooters), all our other guys were 36% or higher. Powell was shooting better before getting injured and Siakam is shooting better, while still not being stellar.

I don't think it's fair to say everyone else suddenly forgot how to shoot. I don't think it's strictly a personnel issue or strictly a coaching/system issue, but a bit of a mix of both that's really got us shooting badly right now.

Nurse is giving a lot of freedom and letting everyone shoot, but we are taking too many rushed shots that are like "lets shoot a 3 because we can", and not because it's actually a good shot situationally. And other times, guys like OG are just missing wide open looks.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                    We grabbed 80% of available defensive boards with JV on the court. Under 60% when he sat. That’s not luck.
                    Precisely. It's like being really thirsty on a desert and then saying "I'm not gonna drink this bit of water I have left here, I'll just try some Tabasco sauce instead to see if it works better for my thirst".

This game was lost squarely by Nurse. Sheer probability alone will say that you simply don't sit your second highest scorer and best rebounder in the game (JV) on the final possession of OT when you have a whole 24 seconds just to get a point for the win. You also don't seat him for the whole 4th quarter to let the game go to OT to begin with.

Players always have to own some of what's happening on the court, but when you have multiple guys that are normally good sputter all at the same time (i.e. Green, Siakam & Ibaka), that's almost always a sign of a system change/experimentation by the coach.

The only players that didn't struggle last night were Kawhi and JV, and that's because they're beasts that typically muscle through the game and are more insulated from the system. Experimenting is fine, but pick the right circumstances for it. If you want to try Siakam at the 5, fine, but pick a game where you're not being owned on the glass to do it.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      I don't disagree, but he is looking off the passes when they are there as well. Obviously the other team is trying to turn him into a driver, and he is seemingly willingly taking on the challenge.That's on Fred. I don't want to even guess how many times I've seen him run the p'n'r, have the window to make a pass through the D to JV, and doesn't just to continue his drive into what is now a double team after the defenders close the gap. He's the new DeMar of 4 years ago. Heck, sometimes he is even not making the high pass when it's there...and by high pass I mean just throwing it over the D, even if you can't make a clean pass because they have left JV alone on an island rolling to the rim, so as long as you pass or even shoot over the D, there's like a 90% chance JV will get it and score. FVV is short but if he can get an out of control layup to the backboard, he can make that play.

As for the defensive issues, to me this comes down to a similar problem we had under Casey with FVV. Him and Nurse both seem to think FVV can make up for his lack of size with scrappiness and savvy. That he can fit on a small "switch everything" unit. He doesn't. He is small, and can't switch. Realistically he should be a guy you try to hide, but it's hard to do that since he's so small. If the other team has a PG with size, it's hard to find a good matchup for him.
                      The thing is that we’re watching the game from a high camera angle. At floor level and game speed, I would suspect those passing lanes aren’t there or are very high risk against NBA level athletes with crazy length.

Comment

The thing is that we’re watching the game from a high camera angle. At floor level and game speed, I would suspect those passing lanes aren’t there or are very high risk against NBA level athletes with crazy length.
                        I've been to two games, and it looks bad in person as well. Not at floor level, but from a good vantage point where spacing is very obvious. Sometimes the window is massive. Like the defender gets clobbered on the screen and FVV literally has 2+ seconds to make the pass (an eternity on the p'n'r) and a big hole that is easily 5+ feet wide (sometimes it looks like 7-8 feet wide, about a third of the space within the 3pt line, possibly even more at times), and he just looks it off.

If you miss the chance to get that pass even just a couple or handful of times in a game, and instead go out of control into traffic for a turnover or bad shot, that can be a swing of several points. It would piss me off less if FVV was just dribbling/passing back out to reset, but he's too frequently forcing the issue in the paint...the worst possible decision he could make.

*It doesn't help that Miles shares a lot of minutes with Fred, so on a bad night both guys are just killing us with their decisions.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

so fucked.

Is this real? I haven't seen anyone else mention it. If so, it's not a great look on Siakam.

Comment

• Garbo wrote: View Post
                            Is this real? I haven't seen anyone else mention it. If so, it's not a great look on Siakam.
                            pretty sure that's not siakam lol

Comment

It's not Pascal, it's some dumb Raps fan.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Its real. Its a real person with "Siakam" in his username...

Comment

Working...
                                X