Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GAME #34 - Toronto Raptors (24-9) vs. Cleveland Calaviers (8-24) Friday, December 21, 2018 - 7 P.M.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Pathetic.

I mean I dont know it is inside Toronto, but you just feel that is obvious in western Canada. I know literally nobody who follows the team. Oh wait, my cousins husband 6 hours away watches the games..and my sister in law catches quite a few. I know a handful who passively watch the odd playoff game.

Compare that out here to the blue Jays nfl or cfl, and its really not even in the same stratosphere. Let alone hockey.
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

They always like to trumpet about the ratings in the media after big games (because the media is owned by the same people owning the team), but then you realize they're usually only bragging about beating their own high water marks. "Raptors have highest rated regular season game since 2001" "most watched raptor game on tsn". When you actually compare the numbers to other sports, and I'm not talking hockey, I'm talking football and baseball, you realize there is so, so much work to do to grow the game in this country..outside of Toronto

Comment

Not to get distracted but not sure who to pull for in the celts Bucks game. Always happy to see Boston lose but the bucks are tied with us in the loss column

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
          They always like to trumpet about the ratings in the media after big games (because the media is owned by the same people owning the team), but then you realize they're usually only bragging about beating their own high water marks. "Raptors have highest rated regular season game since 2001" "most watched raptor game on tsn". When you actually compare the numbers to other sports, and I'm not talking hockey, I'm talking football and baseball, you realize there is so, so much work to do to grow the game in this country..outside of Toronto
          Its tough...Sole basketball shows on the Fan or TSN iare limited....I dont even know when they air but likely late in the evening.

Compare that to the hockey shows that run pretty much all day... Baseball has its two hours a day during the season with the FAN...

Still haven't cracked the mainstream yet but its closer than its been in the past.
          There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
          - TGO

Comment

I mean I dont know it is inside Toronto, but you just feel that is obvious in western Canada. I know literally nobody who follows the team. Oh wait, my cousins husband 6 hours away watches the games..and my sister in law catches quite a few. I know a handful who passively watch the odd playoff game.

Compare that out here to the blue Jays nfl or cfl, and its really not even in the same stratosphere. Let alone hockey.
            Having a team in Vancouver was the right idea from the beginning. Wish they stayed. Probably wouldn't be having this conversation.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
              Having a team in Vancouver was the right idea from the beginning. Wish they stayed. Probably wouldn't be having this conversation.
              2 things killed the Grizzlies:

1. Coming into the nba at its worst period of the last 35 years: the end of Jordan and before lebron. 1999-2004 was the relative dark ages for most markets

2. always sucking. This maybe should be #1, them always sucking.

Comment

Comment

You need to grow the sport at the grass root level. NBA in Canada is going to be a generational thing. How many Canadians are being drafted out of the lottery now a days? It's this generation that will eventually grow the sport in Canada but it takes time for it to flourish.

The success of the Raptors now and with Canada Basketball (who finally qualified for the Worlds) are going to help with the trickle down effect. The basketball leagues at the bottom end of the totem poll (like junior or senior level high schools) however need to capitalize on this, and I hope they are.

It doesn't help that the sport is bounced around from channel to channel or from network to network. But if there is a demand people will find it. It's just that demand needs to exist.. and I'm suspecting in 15-20 years we'll be having a different conversation if we're all still around on this board.

Also by then I'm sure Leo will be retired and we'll be listening to a (hopefully better) colour guy. As Leo single handily must be hurting viewership. He's just so damn boring.

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
                    Not to get distracted but not sure who to pull for in the celts Bucks game. Always happy to see Boston lose but the bucks are tied with us in the loss column
                    I can only pull for Boston to lose. That doesn't mean I'm pulling for the Bucks to win
                    But the Celtics could be in last place and I'd cheer cheer their losses

Comment

Hey!

It's still game day.....

Comment

Celtics just lost to the Suns. Plus the Bucks will be eyeing revenge from being ousted by the Celtics last spring. I don't see Boston winning it even though they are at home. Also Morris, Baynes, and Horford are all out. So they are really thin up front.

Personally don't care what happens in that game either way. But if the Celtics win it's a really bad look on the Bucks.

Comment

Ibaka, Kyle, JV won't play

Comment

2 things killed the Grizzlies:

1. Coming into the nba at its worst period of the last 35 years: the end of Jordan and before lebron. 1999-2004 was the relative dark ages for most markets

2. always sucking. This maybe should be #1, them always sucking.
                            It’s really too bad there wasn’t a young player from British Columbia that was available in those days that they could build their franchise around. If a future 2 time MVP and hall of famer with an exciting style of play was available that really would have helped them and their attendance challenges.

It’s really too bad someone like that wasn’t available.

Comment

A lot of my friends and neighborhood kids follow the Raps. A lot more than in the dark years. But nobody REALLY gives a shit until the playoffs.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                                Pathetic.

No, the Raps game is still only capturing half the market with the other team being in the US. Cut the Roughriders rating in half and you have a comparable.

Also, Roughriders don't get put on TSN 78 in Saskatchewan. That type of treatment is reserved for Raps broadcasts.
                                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Working...
                                X