Game #40 Raptors @ Spurs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puffer wrote: View Post
    List of excuses on why this loss doesn't matter, not in order of importance:
    1. Pop was motivated to game plan the shot out of this one to vindicate himself as not being evil and careless with Kawhi
    2. DeMar was motivated to prove he's a winner and all his teammates wanted to win this one for him
    3. Lowry out
    4. JV out
    5. Some Raptors players shaken by all the media attention and importance the media had attached to a nationally televised game
    6. Nurse more focused on experimenting with roster than maximizing effectiveness
    7. Danny and Kawhi were nervous about playing back in San An, despite saying it was no big deal
    8. Fred being used inappropriately (see #6)
    9. Excessive nerves lead to specific mistakes - turnovers, passing up shots, missing shots, poor defensive decisions
    10. Statistical variance. Sometimes a bunch of stuff happens at the same time - brain farts, misses, stone hands etc.

I think that covers it.

There were lessons learned by players and, more importantly, the coaching staff.

I would have preferred the win but the team, and I, can handle the loss.

I believe at some point (hopefully starting this weekend) Nurse will stop the experimentation and start implementing what he and the coaching staff have learned and start refining roles, sets, and strategy.
    Real reasons are
    1/ Lowry out
    2/ JV out
    3/ 3 pt shooting is abysmal and this is an ongoing issue that we now can't assume will "work itslef out). But it can't stay exactly this bad, can it???

The rest is fluff imo. They lost by 18, not exactly a massacre although it feels like they lost by a ton more and it felt like there was certainly a lack of execution. They weren't overwhelmed by the media or the spotlight or the moment or nerves imo. This stuff happens but the reality is, they're not THAT GOOD OF A TEAM right now. Too many players aren't playing up to potential right now but really, it's primarlily fron the three.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
      Yeah, Serge needs his safety net of the 60/40 split, situational minutes. And most importantly, serge needs Kyle.

Most of Kyle's assists came from running around basically using his 2 big men to score for him. He would do all the ball handling and getting it set and then once they're in the perfect spot, boom, easy 2 points. That was literally Kyle's m.o. this year. Even monroe would be getting easy points right now.

I really really hope he's back against Milwaukee. Without Kyle and jv it appears we're a .500 team that just wins off individual huge kawhi games. Basically we're Charlotte with kemba. Its unacceptable and to me it's a knock on nurse. You cant be coty when your team becomes mediocre without 1 guy
      He was COTM

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
        He was COTM
        I've said it before and I'll say it again. Coaches are overrated. You're really only as good as your best 2 or 3 players
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
          I've said it before and I'll say it again. Coaches are overrated. You're really only as good as your best 2 or 3 players
          100% disagree. In basically every single major sport this is wrong.

Are you just ignoring the Bucks right now or what? Didn't really make any major personnel changes besides Lopez and they're leaps and bounds better than last season. Coaching does matter and it does make a significant difference.

I think the only time coaching doesn't make a difference is when you swap one mediocre coach for another one, which is what we've done by letting Casey go and hiring Nurse.
          Last edited by Shaolin Fantastic; Fri Jan 4, 2019, 12:42 PM.

Comment

• The Raptors have proven ALL year that they are not a dangerous three-point shooting team — at 34.1 per cent from three they rank 25th in the NBA — and against the Spurs they were just 6-of-30. What have they been in the last 10 games, 25%?

Yes, some of the players will revert (higher) to the norm but counting on that making them among the leaders is fools gold - they aren't that good from the line. Kawhi, Lowry, Miles, Green, FVV and even Serge all had to be good. OG, JV, Norm?

Last night, even "Green – battle hardened, playing in his home gym – seemed affected as he missed all seven shots he took and was -26, the worst on the night."
            Last edited by G__Deane; Fri Jan 4, 2019, 01:23 PM.

Comment

• spurs starters +24 in three pointers over our starters. Its not coaching although As I mentioned there has to be more time for boucher it’s inevitable

Comment

• On the bright side, everyone should have a newfound or renewed appreciation of Jonas and Kyle.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post
                          spurs starters +24 in three pointers over our starters. Its not coaching although As I mentioned there has to be more time for boucher it’s inevitable

From 3-point range, Spurs 13/27 (48%) vs. Raptors 6/30 (20%)
                          I guess Nurse has showed them how to be open for a three but not how to avoid clanking them. Coaches can't drain the shot too!

Comment

• Raptors are 7-1 when Kawhi doesn’t play.

Raptors are 4-4 in the The last 8 games Kyle Lowry has missed.

Comment

• Zainab wrote: View Post

Ibaka + Pascal Siakam + Draft Pick. Let's go
                              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                                Ibaka + Pascal Siakam + Draft Pick. Let's go
                                You don't give up Pascal now. And we need Ibaka right now as well. I'd first see if they would go for OG + CJ/Norm/Fred. Although, I guess we need to include Ibaka to make salaries match ...

Comment

Working...
                                X