Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
    I

Dozens of stars changed teams over the years we kept that same core that failed repeatedly in the playoffs. I mean we can rewrite history all we want now that the Kawhi deal is done, but Zach Lowe himself noted that Masai would not make deals unless he "really won", because he was averse to risk.

There is nothing to lose now. If Masai had been making changes during year 3 or 4 of the DD-Casey core no one would have called him risk averse.

In any case, just like the Casey firing, better late than never.
    Which top 5 player was on the market and available to us in the last 2-3 years? Butler? Nope. He's top 20, and wouldn't touch him anymore. PG? He is playing great this year, but I think Kawhi is in a higher class. Regardless, we did hear reports that the Raps in fact did offer DD for PG, but presumably the Pacers didn't want DeMar - we'll never know.

In terms of hindsight, just like drafting & trades, you can only judge these moves in hindsight, and re-signing DeMar and holding on to him and other assets until the right opportunity presented itself was stellar asset management. That part (waiting for the right opportunity) is not hindsight... it's a proactive strategy or philosophy used by good managers.

The other end of the risk-averse spectrum is the impatience and impulsiveness of Bryan Colangelo, who just has to blow his wad every year.... to get his team into the playoffs. That's BC's definition of success. Is that the kind of non risk averse management we're so disappointed with?

Comment

• Bryan colangelo ran a team like he was your average poster in a team fan forum

Oh wait..
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
        Yeah, well the players will still have the "NBA brotherhood" which they say is bigger than basketball itself. That "NBA brotherhood" mantra that's so trendy with players nowadays is all about the top players scheming with each other against management. How is any non-marquee franchise supposed to create a family culture AND acquire the elite players necessary to win championships without the "NBA brotherhood" undermining it?
        I think drafting a star player gives you a much better chance of retaining them. They're coming in young, and guaranteed to be in your city for a crucial growth period which isn't even basketball related. That city becomes home to them and only losing can drive them away at that point.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
          Bryan colangelo ran a team like he was your average poster in a team fan forum

Oh wait..
          BC's General Manager was tenforthewin with Abbas as Director of Player Personnel.

Bryan Colangelo with cap space....

Comment

• This shit turns me on:

Go get him Masai!

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
              This shit turns me on:

Go get him Masai!
              if this happens, Imma buy a Kawhi and Davis jersey
              Abbas wrote:

First of all i was my own source

Comment

• Offer Ibaka + OG + Pascal + future 1st round pick, then add a vet backup PF with a TPE... one can dream...

Comment

• Abbas wrote: View Post
                  if this happens, Imma buy a Kawhi and Davis jersey
                  Attach the names LEONARDAVIS shaped in two attached arcs like a unibrow
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• "Ok Dell,you win. I'll put Malachi in the deal for your unprotected 2021 first rounder."

Comment

• Mitch P wrote: View Post
                      Just trying to wrap my head around what the Raptors would look like the rest of the season with AD and without a bunch of our other current players. I noticed the "trade analysis" tool on Morning Coffee estimated the Raptors to have 10 less wins with the one package that included JV, Pascal and OG.

This is something I'm not reading much of when people are considering the different offers. When you "gut" a team to get AD will he immediately make up for all the losses? Superteams haven't always worked as expected. Are AD and Kawhi a better combination than AD and Giannis (I think so)? Frankly I wish we could get a faster, younger, penetrating point guard. I'm tired of watching Kyle and Fred get blocked or trapped inside with no where to go.

But I suppose "replacement level" players can always be found eventually and superstars like Kawhi and AD are so rare that opportunities to get them must be taken. I just hope if we don't get him he stays west. I might have to give up watching if he goes to the Celtics.
                      If Kawhi and AD are together, there will be no lack of "Better Than Replacement Level Players" available as teams release guys at the end of the season.

Comment

• So we're all in agreement that Masai has permission to fcuk this team in for the near future to get AD? Kamikaze.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                          So we're all in agreement that Masai has permission to fcuk this team in for the near future to get AD? Kamikaze.
                          yes because that future doesn't bring us closer to championship.
                          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                            Offer Ibaka + OG + Pascal + future 1st round pick, then add a vet backup PF with a TPE... one can dream...
                            You guys are crazy we should not trade pascal very bad idea

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Seeing that is giving my palpitations and flashbacks to the surreal world when the Raps last showed up on that list for the Kawhi sweepstakes. Crazy times?

Comment

• This is great.

Jason Whitlock: LeBron James is conspiring to pull off the heist of Anthony Davis

https://www.foxsports.com/watch/spea.../1433263171667

Comment

Working...
                                X