2018-19 Trade Rumours and Discussion - Deadline February 7th 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptor Jesus wrote: View Post
    The family orientation of our culture takes a hit when you send family members away for rentals. MU ain't scared and he's as loudly been saying its about winning the championship. Nobody could say this move is anything but geared for that imperative.
    Yeah, well the players will still have the "NBA brotherhood" which they say is bigger than basketball itself. That "NBA brotherhood" mantra that's so trendy with players nowadays is all about the top players scheming with each other against management. How is any non-marquee franchise supposed to create a family culture AND acquire the elite players necessary to win championships without the "NBA brotherhood" undermining it?

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
      Thing is, if Kawhi, with only 1 potential post-season under contract didn't scare off Masai, then AD, with 2 post-seasons under contract has to have him licking his lips.

Remember when people were beating the drum about Masai being "risk averse"?
      There is really limited risk in making moves now in his sixth year with a giant rebuild potentially a few months away. Not changing the coach and keeping the same core for like five years is pretty risk averse.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
        Unrelated but man its a bummer ESPN has turned into hoopshype mixed with reality tv.
        That was 5 or 10 years ago
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

No, Davis isn't like Carmelo Anthony putting the great stats but not a winning player. AD consistently has top 10 impact stats, driving wins. The only fair knock on him would be that he's constantly injured (which is the biggest risk in acquiring him). Jrue Holiday has also been injured, but he's finally healthy and has become another top impact guy. It's been the inability of management to build around those 2 that's made them a consistent 7-11 team - the worst type of treadmill there is.

Davis is pretty much like this generation's Kevin Garnett.
          Dude AD has been to the playoffs twice. KG was going there every year. KG had some monster seasons. Look at what Harden is doing to carry his team to the playoffs, westbrook has done it before too. Thats what superstars should be capable of. He has no excuse to be out of the playoffs with his current team.

Im not even comparing AD to Melo, hes a legit top 5 guy in the league, im just saying the blame for not advancing to the playoffs has to be shared with him, even if you just want to call it injuries.

Comment

Yeah, well the players will still have the "NBA brotherhood" which they say is bigger than basketball itself. That "NBA brotherhood" mantra that's so trendy with players nowadays is all about the top players scheming with each other against management. How is any non-marquee franchise supposed to create a family culture AND acquire the elite players necessary to win championships without the "NBA brotherhood" undermining it?
            Make the tough moves that get results. If MU gets us to the Finals, we become about winning and the knocks on us trading our family members gets minimized. Then we're the winning culture not the hug everybody hippy commune, winning takes tough calls and ruthless mamba mentality. It's all buzz and hype with little differentiating substance.
            The reasons the Lakers and Celtics and the Bulls/Knicks used to get traction with the hackneyed 'winning' culture was the results hanging from the rafters doing the talking and heavy lifting. The ESPN hype machine churning out the clout.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
              There is really limited risk in making moves now in his sixth year with a giant rebuild potentially a few months away. Not changing the coach and keeping the same core for like five years is pretty risk averse.
              5 straight years of playoffs, 3 straight years of 50+ wins, conference #1 seed, an ECF appearance, two 4-time all-stars, COY, etc..., etc..., for a franchise that was a laughing stock is risk averse? It's called continuous improvement and it was like clockwork.

As much as we all like to dump on the Casey/DD/Lowry core, there was progress every year and a reputation for consistent excellence that's the envy of probably 25 out of 30 franchises.

Risk averse? The window for acquiring Kawhi Leonard was open for like 10 minutes and we pounced on it. Man, we've gotten spoiled around here.
              Last edited by golden; Tue Jan 29, 2019, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Thing is, if Kawhi, with only 1 potential post-season under contract didn't scare off Masai, then AD, with 2 post-seasons under contract has to have him licking his lips.

Remember when people were beating the drum about Masai being "risk averse"?
                It’s nice not seeing posts about “Masai still evaluating”

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
                  It’s nice not seeing posts about “Masai still evaluating”
                  Turns out he WAS evaluating.

Turns out, it takes multiple years to build a contender using a method other than free agency. Or tanking.

Think about that. Masai took a .400 win% team with a bunch of vets from colangelo and built a championship contender through nothing but trades and late round picks.

Comment

• Comment

• I
                      golden wrote: View Post
                      5 straight years of playoffs, 3 straight years of 50+, conference #1 seed, an ECF appearance, two 4-time all-stars, COY, etc..., etc..., for a franchise that was a laughing stock is risk averse? It's called continuous improvement and it was like clockwork.

As much as well all like to dump on the Casey/DD/Lowry core, there was progress every year and a reputation for consistent excellence that's the envy of probably 25 out of 30 franchises.

Risk averse? The window for acquiring Kawhi Leonard was open for like 10 minutes and we pounced on it. Man, we've gotten spoiled around here.
                      Dozens of stars changed teams over the years we kept that same core that failed repeatedly in the playoffs. I mean we can rewrite history all we want now that the Kawhi deal is done, but Zach Lowe himself noted that Masai would not make deals unless he "really won", because he was averse to risk.

There is nothing to lose now. If Masai had been making changes during year 3 or 4 of the DD-Casey core no one would have called him risk averse.

In any case, just like the Casey firing, better late than never.

Comment

• Just trying to wrap my head around what the Raptors would look like the rest of the season with AD and without a bunch of our other current players. I noticed the "trade analysis" tool on Morning Coffee estimated the Raptors to have 10 less wins with the one package that included JV, Pascal and OG.

This is something I'm not reading much of when people are considering the different offers. When you "gut" a team to get AD will he immediately make up for all the losses? Superteams haven't always worked as expected. Are AD and Kawhi a better combination than AD and Giannis (I think so)? Frankly I wish we could get a faster, younger, penetrating point guard. I'm tired of watching Kyle and Fred get blocked or trapped inside with no where to go.

But I suppose "replacement level" players can always be found eventually and superstars like Kawhi and AD are so rare that opportunities to get them must be taken. I just hope if we don't get him he stays west. I might have to give up watching if he goes to the Celtics.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

If you're gonna put the celtics that high (they can't trade for him this year) that tells me overwhelming odds are that he isnt moving at the deadline

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                            I

Dozens of stars changed teams over the years we kept that same core that failed repeatedly in the playoffs. I mean we can rewrite history all we want now that the Kawhi deal is done, but Zach Lowe himself noted that Masai would not make deals unless he "really won", because he was averse to risk.
                            I've heard and never understood that criticism. I dont call that risk averse, I call that basic negotiation intelligence I expect out of my GM.

By the way, BOTH teams can and often do win deals. Those see great trades. And they happen, despite the obsession of media to call winners and losers.

If you're a gm that makes trades where he knows he doesnt win, you're peter chiarelli of the Edmonton Oilers. Hint: you dont wanna he peter chiarelli of the Edmonton Oilers. Hes no longer of the Edmonton Oilers.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              If you're gonna put the celtics that high (they can't trade for him this year) that tells me overwhelming odds are that he isnt moving at the deadline
                              Vegas ddds are controlled by betters. More betters are assuming Celtics will get him. Could also be a lot of Raps fans hoping he comes here.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

lol. OddsShark ain't sleeping on the Raps this time around.

Comment

Working...
                                X