2018-19 Trade Rumours and Discussion - Deadline February 7th 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 007 wrote: View Post
    That could actually work out very well for New York if Porzingis ends up leaving in 2020
    He won't. You have to read between the lines of the news items and remember that New York, as a franchise, is notorious for leaking news items to try and seek advantage when they make dumb moves.

What probably happened is this: Porzingis informed them last week or so that he wanted to be traded and that he was unwilling to sign an RFA deal with them; he would sooner sign the qualifying offer, which is a massive insult to the franchise. So the Knicks probably started trying to trade Porzingis and whatever to the Pellies for Anthony Davis. When the Pellies said "no dice," the Knicks started shopping him, and Dallas eventually expressed interest. They agreed on the deal, and the Knicks said "wait a half hour" and leaked that Porzingis had asked for a trade so that they wouldn't look like total idiots. When everybody said "they're total idiots" anyway, they then leaked the tidbit about the qualifying offer so Dallas would look stupid, except that of course Porzingis probably won't demand the qualifying offer in Dallas because it's not a moron franchise run by hired goons, so Porzingis and Dallas have a quick conversation, say something along the lines of "sure, I'll sign an RFA deal if I think you guys will do right by me, just don't be assholes in the next six months" and then one of them leaks to Woj that maybe he's "open" to signing an RFA deal in Dallas if he "feels it's right after evaluating the situation."

All of this is why the entire league is laughing at New York right now. Dallas gave up empty salary, a young player they wanted to trade anyway and a couple of draft picks that won't matter if they start making playoffs again in the near future (and Luka and Porzingis and a decent supporting cast should get them there by 2021). The Knicks got cap room for two max signings and I'd be stunned if they get anybody top-notch because they have zero appealing players there already. I mean, Kemba Walker and Tobias Harris are good players, but you gonna build your playoff run around them?

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
      I thought Masai was good. But the Mavs just turned DSJr & a bunch of first-round picks into Doncic and Zinger within 6 months. Holy hell. If there's anybody around here who still think that tanking is the best way to rebuild..... follow the Suns. That debate is O-VAH.
      You don't tank like the Suns... you tank like the Mavericks. Where you have smart personnel to actually make use of the high draft picks.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
        Does it really matter though? KP and Luka are young and by the time they are really ready to contend, those other two will have expired. Dallas has to try and keep the books clear, outside of KP and Luka of course, so that they msy be able to afford someone of substance and some rotation pieces when those guys expire. In the meantime, THJ and Lee do bring something to the table that dallas can utilize.
        It matters to the extent that open cap space can be used to get assets (draft picks or a young player like how the Nets got Russell by taking Mozgovs contract). $50 million of that path is closed off now, making it more difficult to build a contender around the Luca/KP duo.
        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• If the Knicks can land Kryie and Durant with that cap... this trade is instantly amazing. They don't have enough cap for 3 stars?

Comment

• Truth Teller wrote: View Post
            You don't tank like the Suns... you tank like the Mavericks. Where you have smart personnel to actually make use of the high draft picks.
            No, Mavs didn’t tank. They we’re just really incompetent until the last 6 months. They signed the shittiest tier 2 &3 free agents possible, in Barnes, Matthews and Jordan. Teams that are tanking don’t sign mediocre vets who can help them win games, much less vastly overpay them. They just happened to snooker 2 pigeons at the right time this season.

Comment

• Truth Teller wrote: View Post
              Bruh understand how much luck fell Dallas way over the last 6 months
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

No, Mavs didn’t tank. They we’re just really incompetent until the last 6 months. They signed the shittiest tier 2 &3 free agents possible, in Barnes, Matthews and Jordan. Teams that are tanking don’t sign mediocre vets who can help them win games, much less vastly overpay them. They just happened to snooker 2 pigeons at the right time this season.
                Is there really a difference between tanking and sucking really bad? To me it's the same thing. You get vets that don't make a team better you can tell your fan base you are trying but stealthly just tanking to get worse.

BC did that when he got a core of DeMar, JV and Ross while attempting to fool the fan base by getting guys like O'Neal/Marion, Gay, etc.

I guess this is the best way to tank. Just fool your fan base into thinking you're trying when in reality you're just hoping to get those ping pong balls anyway or to leverage those ping pong balls into prime beef when the time is right.

Comment

• Shredder wrote: View Post
                  Could you see Kawhi picking up his player option for next year if we trade for AD?
                  Never. If anything he’d opt out and sign a 1+1 max deal. Player option salary is too low.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• NYK trying to gas light him with that 'he walked into our office 9 am today' so they traded him

Comment

• Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

Raptors need jrue. We need one more offensive initiator. Kawhi and siakam are great, but neither can pass all that well so, iso it is. Jrue is elite at creating.

Of course ad is the preference but jrue would be huge

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                          Raptors need jrue. We need one more offensive initiator. Kawhi and siakam are great, but neither can pass all that well so, iso it is. Jrue is elite at creating.

Of course ad is the preference but jrue would be huge
                          Lowry for Jrue. Going once, going twice....

Comment

Lowry for Jrue. Going once, going twice....
                            Getting reeeally hard to turn that down. Pellies definitely say no however

Comment

• KeonClark wrote:
                              Getting reeeally hard to turn that down
                              They wouldn’t want Lowry.
                              (And I say that as a great admirer of Kyle Lowry.)
                              ((Though I missed the game tonight.))

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
                                They wouldn’t want Lowry.
                                (And I say that as a great admirer of Kyle Lowry.)
                                ((Though I missed the game tonight.))
                                Agree

Comment

Working...
                                X