Announcement

Collapse

Raptors Republic Android & iOS App

Hey guys and gals,

We're running a, how should I say, pilot or beta version of our new Raptors Republic app. We haven't made it official as we're still trying to work out some bugs while improving the user interface. So, its not the final version so expect to see more changes over the next while.

Anyhow, please feel free to download. Available on both Android & iPhone. It's absolutely free.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rsrepublic.app

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6946?ls=1&mt=8

If we could ask a favour though. We're welcoming feedback and suggestions on perhaps things you'd like to see. At the end of the day we're doing this for you guys by making everything here easier available for you the user. Please send your feedback (Regardless if its positive or negative) to raptorsrepublic@gmail.com.

Thanks in advance and we hope you guys enjoy the application.
See more
See less

Are we overvaluing OG as a prospect?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Are we overvaluing OG as a prospect?

    I know how people used to think that OG was our best prospect and how we don't want to trade him, but are we overvaluing him as a prospect? Over the last two months or so, OG has been fucking terrible! Sure he's a defense first player, but to be honest, after watching him play, I don't think his liability on the offensive end is worth his value on the defensive end. He can't hit a three for his life. Teams are literally sagging off him cuz they know he'll brick it. I personally think it's about time that we look to offload him while he still has some value as a prospect. I don't really think he's as good of a prospect as we give him credit for! Thoughts? Am I giving up on him way too early? Feel free to combine this with another thread if needed.

  • #2
    He gets a pass from me for a while. His dad died, hes missed time at what seems like the most inopportune times, and he is still a great defender. I would trade him for Beal but it would make me sad.

    Comment


    • #3
      Maury wrote: View Post
      He gets a pass from me for a while. His dad died, he’s missed time at what seems like the most inopportune times, and he is still a great defender. I would trade him for Beal but it would make me sad.
      True say. I didn't think of how that's affecting him, but how much of pass are we gonna give him. I agree. He's still a great defender, but I still think his liability on offense stagnates the offense way too much. Last year, he played with the starters so his offense was able to hide with the starting unit. But he's getting exposed big time with the bench unit where he's force to make open shots or else the offense will die with him. It might help him if Freddy is back in bench unit, but i'm starting to lose major trust in him as a prospect!

      Comment


      • #4
        Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
        I know how people used to think that OG was our best prospect and how we don't want to trade him, but are we overvaluing him as a prospect? Over the last two months or so, OG has been fucking terrible! Sure he's a defense first player, but to be honest, after watching him play, I don't think his liability on the offensive end is worth his value on the defensive end. He can't hit a three for his life. Teams are literally sagging off him cuz they know he'll brick it. I personally think it's about time that we look to offload him while he still has some value as a prospect. I don't really think he's as good of a prospect as we give him credit for! Thoughts? Am I giving up on him way too early? Feel free to combine this with another thread if needed.
        Who's we?

        I've never been a fan of OG. His basketball IQ is Bruno like, he can't shoot, his handles are laughable. You knew he's going to turn the ball over EVERYTIME he drives. And don't get me started about his FT shooting.

        Absolute garbage of a basketball player.
        Make RR great again!!

        Comment


        • #5
          OG was better last year. He didn't do as much though. He was your typical 3&D player. He stayed in his lane.

          This year not so much. But it's tough to be a sophomore in the NBA. Hardest year is that 2nd year for most guys. Expectations change. More guys are scouting you. More eyeballs are on you.

          OG needs the game to slow down for him. He plays too fast and is out of control. Like Siakam last year. He's uncoordinated. He may never have the handles that DD or Siakam developed. That part might not be part of his game.

          But he needs to play the role he had last year. That worked for him. And he can be effective at it.

          As for over rating.. I think most fan's wouldn't mind including him in a package for something better. So I'm not sure about that. Last year and this summer were different because he was good last year. Expectations are probably now tempered a bit. With a dominant wing like Kawhi on the roster, OG feels redundant. And he's no where close to being a guy like Kawhi (and most likely will never be like him).

          But he can improve. And he has proven to make big shots in big moments.. so that's something you can't over look either.

          For now though he's not really a liability. I mean he's a bench wing that plays about 20 minutes a game. He can play the 3 and the 4... and is important if an injury occurs to say Pascal or Kawhi. He needs to improve his shot for sure, and maybe that'll happen.. maybe it won't. But to write him off completely now is probably a bit much. He's still only 21 years old.

          Plus 33% 3pt shooting is about average isn't it? Or has that gone up now?

          Comment


          • #6
            I think OG needs some regularity and Nurse's rotations and OG being out of the lineup for various periods this season have prevented him from getting the stability he needs. We all know how being put into an uncomfortable situation or a new role can lead to mistakes, then a lack of confidence, then needless hesitation then bigger mistakes. He is still the same player, with the same or improved skills, strength, and speed. He's just a little bit tentative right now. He will come around, I am confident. He didn't start getting called Kawhi Lite because he is trash. Things will settle down when Lowry gets back and Nurse improves his game prep.

            Comment


            • #7
              planetmars wrote: View Post
              OG was better last year. He didn't do as much though. He was your typical 3&D player. He stayed in his lane.

              This year not so much. But it's tough to be a sophomore in the NBA. Hardest year is that 2nd year for most guys. Expectations change. More guys are scouting you. More eyeballs are on you.

              OG needs the game to slow down for him. He plays too fast and is out of control. Like Siakam last year. He's uncoordinated. He may never have the handles that DD or Siakam developed. That part might not be part of his game.

              But he needs to play the role he had last year. That worked for him. And he can be effective at it.

              As for over rating.. I think most fan's wouldn't mind including him in a package for something better. So I'm not sure about that. Last year and this summer were different because he was good last year. Expectations are probably now tempered a bit. With a dominant wing like Kawhi on the roster, OG feels redundant. And he's no where close to being a guy like Kawhi (and most likely will never be like him).

              But he can improve. And he has proven to make big shots in big moments.. so that's something you can't over look either.

              For now though he's not really a liability. I mean he's a bench wing that plays about 20 minutes a game. He can play the 3 and the 4... and is important if an injury occurs to say Pascal or Kawhi. He needs to improve his shot for sure, and maybe that'll happen.. maybe it won't. But to write him off completely now is probably a bit much. He's still only 21 years old.

              Plus 33% 3pt shooting is about average isn't it? Or has that gone up now?
              This...

              Comment


              • #8
                planetmars wrote: View Post
                OG was better last year. He didn't do as much though. He was your typical 3&D player. He stayed in his lane.

                This year not so much. But it's tough to be a sophomore in the NBA. Hardest year is that 2nd year for most guys. Expectations change. More guys are scouting you. More eyeballs are on you.

                OG needs the game to slow down for him. He plays too fast and is out of control. Like Siakam last year. He's uncoordinated. He may never have the handles that DD or Siakam developed. That part might not be part of his game.

                But he needs to play the role he had last year. That worked for him. And he can be effective at it.

                As for over rating.. I think most fan's wouldn't mind including him in a package for something better. So I'm not sure about that. Last year and this summer were different because he was good last year. Expectations are probably now tempered a bit. With a dominant wing like Kawhi on the roster, OG feels redundant. And he's no where close to being a guy like Kawhi (and most likely will never be like him).

                But he can improve. And he has proven to make big shots in big moments.. so that's something you can't over look either.

                For now though he's not really a liability. I mean he's a bench wing that plays about 20 minutes a game. He can play the 3 and the 4... and is important if an injury occurs to say Pascal or Kawhi. He needs to improve his shot for sure, and maybe that'll happen.. maybe it won't. But to write him off completely now is probably a bit much. He's still only 21 years old.

                Plus 33% 3pt shooting is about average isn't it? Or has that gone up now?
                Agreed with everything you said. Fury is being so extra lol. Like chill, he is NO WHERE close to as bad as Bruno was in any aspect of the game. He probably won't ever be Kawhi (those comparisons need to stop) and he may never develop a good handle but that doesn't mean he's going to be a bad player. The man is only 21 and in his second year. Who gives up on that? Especially when he's proven he is better than this when he stays in his lane. OG can and will be a very good role player once he gains more experience and improves. That I'm pretty confident of. You can never have too many 3 and D players in this league. He isn't shooting the 3 well this season but last season he did and he did in the playoffs as well. Cut the man some slack, his last remaining parent died and he's only 21. He'll be fine, maybe not this season but I believe another offseason of work will do the trick.
                I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Not to forget that one game he started he looked really good.
                  Glimpses of the REAL OG

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    His upside is a high level 3 & d player like it always was. He's still a good prospect, but if we've got a chance to get a star or even high-level starter who can help us this year, we shouldn't hesitate to give him up. His defensive contribution isn't quite as valuable as it was last year because he's no longer starting, and thus rarely tasked with guarding the opposition's best wing.

                    Siakam is the one prospect we have who should not be anywhere near a trade that isn't for a bonafide MVP candidate. The guy is already a star level player now and still has tremendous upside imo.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I wouldnt trade OG unless for some serious upgrade. Sophomore slump, personal issues, different role, injuries to other players etc are all having an impact on his play. If lowry and JV werent injured, we wouldnt be thinking about trading this guy or anyone else on the roster for that matter. The team has been dealing with its most injury laden stretch during the toughest part of the schedule, should be no surprise theyve struggled somewhat.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        JawsGT wrote: View Post
                        ...The team has been dealing with its most injury laden stretch during the toughest part of the schedule, should be no surprise theyve struggled somewhat.
                        I believe this 100%.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                          His upside is a high level 3 & d player like it always was. He's still a good prospect, but if we've got a chance to get a star or even high-level starter who can help us this year, we shouldn't hesitate to give him up. His defensive contribution isn't quite as valuable as it was last year because he's no longer starting, and thus rarely tasked with guarding the opposition's best wing.

                          Siakam is the one prospect we have who should not be anywhere near a trade that isn't for a bonafide MVP candidate. The guy is already a star level player now and still has tremendous upside imo.
                          Siakam is no longer a prospect. He's their third best player. And he's not anywhere near his peak.

                          If we've learned anything about this Raps management team, it is that they are prepared to give their guys lots of time to figure it out. Players typically make a big jump in their third year, so I can't see OG falling out of favour before next year and can't see him being moved unless, as you say, there is something simply too good to pass up.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I think we should have sold high but no point fretting now his value is low. His handles are atrocious Im just goint to accept it at least he wasnt re-signed at 10m+/yr
                            Last edited by Yuri Gagarin; Sun Jan 6th, 2019, 03:25 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              By the way, I would encourage everyone who wants to trade OG now to go back and read the first few pages of the Everything Pascal Siakam thread in the 2017 offseason.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X