No announcement yet.

Everything Patrick McCaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you guys characterize McCaw as a player who can create his own shot? Going over some of his highlights he seems to be able to, as well as create open shots for other guys.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
      Would you guys characterize McCaw as a player who can create his own shot? Going over some of his highlights he seems to be able to, as well as create open shots for other guys.
      Suggesting McCaw is something other than a complete loser?

9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• He can get to the rim but can’t convert unless he is on his own. He’s not a skilled offensive player and it kills me to see him start over TD2 or even Matt Thomas

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
          He can get to the rim but can’t convert unless he is on his own. He’s not a skilled offensive player and it kills me to see him start over TD2 or even Matt Thomas
          I've been big on TD2 prior to the season starting because he just has such a great skill set, and I agree he's earned minutes over McCaw. I mean I see the potential is there with McCaw. He's like 6-7 with ball handling skills and can create for himself and others and there is potential on defense as well. It's just he hasn't performed yet and they are still giving him minutes others have earned.

The other thing to consider with TD and hopefully McCaw stepping up is that it gives the Raptors some leverage in negotiations with FVV with the possibility of making Freddy an expendable trade asset.

Comment

• McCaw has some ability in the PnR but I wouldnt say he is a reliable player at creating his own shot. Its possible this guy just needs more reps, he has shown flashes...but ultimately i feel like most...that there are better options on the team. But the coaching staff clearly see things that we fans do not, whatever that may be...potential i guess.

Comment

• Let me quote jimmy butler..the guy is trash, cant guard, cant play..plz guard me..so I can light u up, that's Patrick McCaw...enough said..
              "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
              My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

I've been big on TD2 prior to the season starting because he just has such a great skill set, and I agree he's earned minutes over McCaw. I mean I see the potential is there with McCaw. He's like 6-7 with ball handling skills and can create for himself and others and there is potential on defense as well. It's just he hasn't performed yet and they are still giving him minutes others have earned.

The other thing to consider with TD and hopefully McCaw stepping up is that it gives the Raptors some leverage in negotiations with FVV with the possibility of making Freddy an expendable trade asset.
                McCaw at 6’7” is a lie.

New height chart shows he’s 6’5”

Otherwise he’d be the same height as RHJ. ...yeah, no.

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

McCaw at 6’7” is a lie.

Interesting how most guys might round-up a half-inch but McCaw adding 2"! That's a little more than rounding error, he must have been measured wearing pumps?

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

McCaw at 6’7” is a lie.

I heard McCaw did 9/11
                    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

I heard McCaw did 9/11
                      Clanked 3s, don't melt steal beams
                      To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• I was responding to a poster on another site claiming that McCaw had been pretty decent for us while we were shorthanded, so I looked up his on-off splits over the last while and even to me it was shocking, so I thought I'd copy my response here for kicks.

A demonstration of how pretty decent Patrick McCaw has been while we were shorthanded (we'll use the last 12 games where we went 6-6 while Gasol has been out).

In those 12 games, our on-court numbers with McCaw:
                        100.7 ORTG (worst of any regular contributor, 3rd overall behind Johnson and Thomas) in 365 minutes
                        107.4 DRTG (2nd worst of any regular, behind FVV who was obviously playing hurt, also behind the single game sample from Siakam and Powell)
                        -7 net rating (worst of any regular contributor, just behind Thomas among all players)

And without McCaw:
                        118.5 ORTG (highest off-court number of any player by 8 points) in 221 minutes
                        99.6 DRTG (2nd lowest off-court number of any player)
                        +19 net rating (by far the highest off-court number of any player by 10 points)

The difference:
                        18 points worse on offence with McCaw (worst among regulars)
                        8 points worse on defence with McCaw (worst among entire roster)
                        26 points per 100 possessions worse overall with McCaw (obviously by far the worst among regulars, by 15 points)

Gosh I'm glad he was here to keep us afloat while we were injured. He definitely wasn't the weak link that really hurt us in this stretch.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                          I was responding to a poster on another site claiming that McCaw had been pretty decent for us while we were shorthanded, so I looked up his on-off splits over the last while and even to me it was shocking, so I thought I'd copy my response here for kicks.
                          Put your coach’s hat DanH, help us understand why McCaw is getting this special consideration from this coach?

1. Is it because FVV is down and he wants another ball handler, yet when FVV was still up and running, he was the designated point (it might have worked well against that Boston game but to me it was a one off). Games after that, his efforts as a point were abysmal.

2. Is it because of the injuries? Though Nurse still gave him ample minutes on that Detroit game when everyone else were still healthy. McCaw got 27 minutes from this coach.
                          Then last night when 2 of the starters are back, he still got 20 minutes WITH negative impact.

3. Is it because of his 3 rings? This is the most lamest reason for sure but I wont take it off the table.

Nurse have options to fill the void but last night, for McCaw to be the first player (6th man) to come off the bench and the last bench player taken off the court during the Spurs run, words cannot explain. As I said on my previous post, this coach’s belief on him by bringing him back to be another defensive body at the last 4 seconds of the game is the icing to the cake.

Metrics does not justify it for sure
                          Last edited by The Claw Reborn; Mon Jan 13, 2020, 12:05 PM.

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

Put your coach’s hat DanH, help us understand why McCaw is getting this special consideration from this coach?

1. Is it because FVV is down and he wants another ball handler, yet when FVV was still up and running, he was the designated point (it might have worked well against that Boston game but to me it was a one off). Games after that, his efforts as a point were abysmal.

2. Is it because of the injuries? Though Nurse still gave him ample minutes on that Detroit game when everyone else were still healthy. McCaw got 27 minutes from this coach.
                            Then last night when 2 of the starters are back, he still got 20 minutes WITH negative impact.

3. Is it because of his 3 rings? This is the most lamest reason for sure but I wont take it off the table.

Nurse have options to fill the void but last night, for McCaw to be the first player (6th man) to come off the bench and the last bench player taken off the court during the Spurs run, words cannot explain. As I said on my previous post, this coach’s belief on him by bringing him back to be another defensive body at the last 4 seconds of the game is the icing to the cake.

Metrics does not justify it for sure
                            I think Patrick get the time because he simply doesn't make mistake. He's by no means a good player but he just doesnt do the things that frustrate a coach. He doesn't make bad turnovers (save for the one vs Portland in crunch time). He doesn't take bad shots (Only wide open 3s). He doesn't try to force his own offense (driving into multiple defenders). Those mistakes he avoids are the same ones that TD, Stanley, Miller and to an extent O.G make on a regular basis. He is a tier below a real NBA rotation player, but i think nick likes him cause he just doesn't do those glaring bone headed things that the young guys do. Now if you take into account our offense has to play 4-5 and the fact that he seems to be letting guys get around him relatively easy, i think those lack of mistakes do not gain us with what he give back, Hopefully with the large data available now nick can take a look at on-off splits and see that the dude is hurting us.
                            To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

I think Patrick get the time because he simply doesn't make mistake. He's by no means a good player but he just doesnt do the things that frustrate a coach. He doesn't make bad turnovers (save for the one vs Portland in crunch time). He doesn't take bad shots (Only wide open 3s). He doesn't try to force his own offense (driving into multiple defenders). Those mistakes he avoids are the same ones that TD, Stanley, Miller and to an extent O.G make on a regular basis. He is a tier below a real NBA rotation player, but i think nick likes him cause he just doesn't do those glaring bone headed things that the young guys do. Now if you take into account our offense has to play 4-5 and the fact that he seems to be letting guys get around him relatively easy, i think those lack of mistakes do not gain us with what he give back, Hopefully with the large data available now nick can take a look at on-off splits and see that the dude is hurting us.
                              Patrick McCaw has the highest percentage of his used possessions as turnovers of anyone on the team except Stanley Johnson. His assist to turnover ratio is 2.2:1, that's practically identical to Terry Davis (2:1), who is very much a rookie who can't really create yet, and nothing like the 3:1 ratios our PGs put up. His turnovers per 36 minutes are practically identical to OG, way above Miller, and yeah, SJ is just absolutely terrible and McCaw should be ahead of him (at least on offence).

McCaw takes 43% of his shots as three pointers. That is a lower proportion of his shots than Miller, Thomas, Lowry, Davis, Gasol, Johnson, VanVleet and Powell.

McCaw takes a higher fraction of his shots between 10 feet and the three point line than all but 4 of his teammates (Ibaka, Thomas, Siakam, Gasol). He hits them (which is shocking), but that's not the same as not taking them.

The main thing McCaw doesn't do is take shots at all - and that's something that actively hurts offences. His 10 FGA/100 possessions is by far the lowest on the team (besides Miller who has barely played). He sure doesn't force his own offence, and his hesitancy to even take open shots absolutely kills the team every single possession he is out there.

If Nick is seeing McCaw as a low-mistake player he is confusing low-mistake volume with low-mistake rate. McCaw rarely makes mistakes because he rarely does anything.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

I appreciate the voice of reason from Nick Nurse’s perspective....

Though I am not sure what you meant by McCaw not committing major mistakes vs. Stanley/ TD/ Miller and to a lesser extent OG.

However if you were referencing their respective TOV%, aside from Stanley Johnson, he has the highest percentage per 100 possessions amongst those players you mentioned. Definitely way worse than the other bench guys you didnt mention, Boucher/ Brisette/ RHJ and Thomas.

that alone will not satisfy the craving of why NN is so enamored of Mr. McCaw

Comment

Working...
                                X