Everything Patrick McCaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post
    I really think it's a playbook thing. Like McCaw could be book smart and has memorized Nurse's playbook. So he can call a play on his own to speed up an offensive set as opposed to relying on Nurse to call one.

What we do know is he's a PG. He is calling plays. And Nurse likes multiple ball handlers on the floor at all times (at least 3 sometimes 4). He didn't start last night, but was there to play with the bench when the starters sat. And then played some more right into crunch time in favour of OG.

We saw him a lot playing with Fred and Kyle when Pascal was hurt.

It's the same reason why Lorenzo Brown got a lot of unnecessary minutes, except we're more reliant on McCaw because most of our playmakers have been hurt this season.

My gut is telling me that once Fred is back, McCaw will end up with about 10-15 mpg at most. He'll still see the floor to give Lowry, Fred and Pascal a rest, but it won't be a lot of time. And he may get like 4-5 minutes in the playoffs.. and maybe less depending on how tight games are.

TD is the one that is getting boned here.. he should be the floor general when our guys need rest or are hurt. But he needs time to learn the playbook. And that will take at least a full year/summer, IMO.
    This is a very sensible take. At this point, just waiting to see what happens when Siakam and Powell are back at full speed....

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

This is a very sensible take. At this point, just waiting to see what happens when Siakam and Powell are back at full speed....
      Well, even with that, we know he's ahead of Davis, Hollis Jefferson, etc. Nick seems to have him slotted in at 8th most minutes when fully healthy, behind the "championship 7"

Everybody looking for reasons, I think its just a case of a coach liking a player for reason unbeknownst to the rest of us. We saw it with Casey with guys like John Salmons, Luis Scola, no James Johnson, theres been other puzzling minutes decisions just as bad as this one over the years. Other teams go through the same shit, we just don't see it.

All we can do is hope Nurse gets over his Mccaw crush, or Mccaw plays better. Most likely the latter than the former. Mccaw is in his 4th year and has never evolved from his rookie year. His advanced stats were poor then and they're poor now. And people like Leo Rautins will say empty praise like "he played for Golden State under Steve Kerr, he knows how to win"...forgetting that despite all Golden States all time top level talent, they actually had a poor bench, especially on players 10, 11, 12...which is where Mccaw was
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

5 play-makers (preferably dribble drive penetrators) who can shoot from 3 and switch on defense is Nurse's vision. He wants to put maximum pressure on the opposition at all times. Gasol qualifies as a top-notch play-maker, even though he's not necessarily a ball-handler.

The Theory of McCaw makes a lot of sense, if he actually could put pressure on the defense but the reality is that he gives the opposition a break and makes the Raps play 4 vs. 5. And on defense, he's probably our worst perimeter defender at the point of attack, so the reality there is that it puts pressure on our defense.

I suppose Nurse and Masai feel like they can catch lightning in a bottle twice and McCaw can follow the FVV development path until the lightbulb finally turns on. A fully realized McCaw could potentially fit the mold of the type of 2-player they're looking for. But then again, so could a lot of fringe NBA players, if given the same unconditional opportunities as McCaw and FVV.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

I suppose Nurse and Masai feel like they can catch lightning in a bottle twice and McCaw can follow the FVV development path until the lightbulb finally turns on. A fully realized McCaw could potentially fit the mold of the type of 2-player they're looking for. But then again, so could a lot of fringe NBA players, if given the same unconditional opportunities as McCaw and FVV.
          Don't McCaw's continued struggles (and I use the term loosely) basically throw that theory out the window?

Comment

• Yea guys I've been saying this for a while but Nurse just really likes McCaw. I don't think we will ever know the real reason which is frustrating because every statistical date shows he's not good so no explanation truly makes sense. But he's CLEARLY (as someone else said) ahead of RHJ and TD in the pecking order. So even with Fred back and us being 100% healthy he would be the 8th man. He's gonna get playing time so we all are going to have to learn to accept that.

All we can hope is it goes down to like 10 minutes a game or so. Or we can hope he finally starts to play better, but I wouldn't hold my breath with that part. I do think every team probably goes through this where a coach loves a player that's no good and gives them more playing time than they deserve. It's soooo annoying though. Especially for us because we usually have better players we can play over them. I was hoping this would stop when Casey left but here we are.
            I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
              Everybody looking for reasons, I think its just a case of a coach liking a player for reason unbeknownst to the rest of us. We saw it with Casey with guys like John Salmons, Luis Scola, no James Johnson, theres been other puzzling minutes decisions just as bad as this one over the years. Other teams go through the same shit, we just don't see it.
              Well this made me feel much worse.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Don't McCaw's continued struggles (and I use the term loosely) basically throw that theory out the window?
                Not at all. Even Nurse himself was quoted recently saying something like.....the talent gap between the 25th ranked player in the draft and the 95th player was getting thinner. McCaw is simply proving that he's not even in the top 100, or whatever that needs to be to crack a rotation and be a positive contributor. Some guys, like Boucher, have to work really hard to earn their minutes. If McCaw can't even look decent surrounded by Lowry and Pascal then he's just showing that he doesn't even belong in the league.

Guys like Terence Davis, Chris Boucher, Kendrick Nunn and Duncan Robinson are exactly those fringe level players Nurse speaks of, who do have the talent and whatever else it takes to make the NBA. Those are the guys worth giving development minutes to.

Anyway, I don't want to continue the McCaw bashing. If he keeps being the negative difference maker between winning & losing, even Nurse won't be that stubborn to keep playing him or Masai will simply trade him. Until then, I'm just rolling with trust in Nurse & Masai to figure things out and hopefully it doesn't adversely impact our playoff seeding in the end.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/raptors/status/1...957388288?s=12

in the pic, his body contortion says it all...”i dont deserved this ring, like the other 2, i am still trash and will remain as trash”

Comment

• It's not impossible for him to make some progress through these growing pains to the end of the season. Not drawing a player comparison, but I seem to remember a couple of you livid that Casey was starting Pascal in his rookie season - sometimes these things pay off.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                      It's not impossible for him to make some progress through these growing pains to the end of the season. Not drawing a player comparison, but I seem to remember a couple of you livid that Casey was starting Pascal in his rookie season - sometimes these things pay off.
                      Nah McCaw on his 6th year in the league playing 27 minutes a game with crashing down advanced metrics, the growing pain excuse is lame. Midget Fred less than 6 feet averaged more rebounds than this moron. No additional development is needed to understand where the ball would fall after a miss.

Comment

• The Patrick McCaw experience is like Luis Scola x John Salmons x 3 large doses of WTF. I don't even know what this is.
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                          It's not impossible for him to make some progress through these growing pains to the end of the season. Not drawing a player comparison, but I seem to remember a couple of you livid that Casey was starting Pascal in his rookie season - sometimes these things pay off.
                          Pascal should not have been starting that season, even Casey eventually relented and started Patterson before the team went and got Serge to start at PF. Pascal's development took a leap because he was at that point sent down to the 905 to be able to expand his offensive game beyond runouts and not get his confidence shelled every night as the team fell apart defensively around him (he was quite bad in terms of team defence at that point). He additionally made his next leap as a key contributor off the bench where he could actually play a key role in those lineups, with a variety of responsibilities.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

Nah McCaw on his 6th year in the league playing 27 minutes a game with crashing down advanced metrics, the growing pain excuse is lame. Midget Fred less than 6 feet averaged more rebounds than this moron. No additional development is needed to understand where the ball would fall after a miss.
                            This is McCaw's 4th year. There is every bit of logic behind hoping that he can improve, he is young and has relatively little playing time.

I personally hold out little hope that he could develop to such a degree that it would be worth the current detriment to the team his minutes represent. But the logic isn't that he's established. It's that he's so bad now that even a significant improvement would leave him as a bad player. It would require a massive leap to make him a sure fire rotation player.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Patrick McCaw is dominating twitterverse and forums these days.

He is like the Guiliani for Trump, henchman and does the evil bidding for Nick Nurse

lol

Comment

• Wonder when this guy is going to get on "How Hungry are You"? Hopefully serge can get him he can use the pull of having 2 time champs KD and Kawhi on in the past to get Mr.3-peat onto the show
                                To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

Working...
                                X