Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr Hannibal Lecter
    replied
    There is a God... so late to the party, nah nah..nah nah..good bye, get the stepping b$%$h...every thing has been S^$% this year, but this right here..helps me feel just little better. Next bogey on the radar is Stanley and that piece of Trash Pilon Baynes.

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post
    ...Your complaint seems to be that people aren't being critical enough but given that the organization has had its best stretch in history with him as the President (including the trade of the decade and a title no one thought Toronto would ever win) perhaps it's a combination of the goodwill he has earned (charity), together with people giving him the benefit of the doubt (patience).
    Agree. And maybe he IS the best executive the Raptors have ever had (thank you Tim Lieweke).

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    G__Deane wrote: View Post

Totally agree but you also have to consider that Patrick Mutombo is doing OK with the 905 and we have a COY that was won post -Kawhi.

Maybe something that even fewer want to consider (blasphemy!) is maybe Masai (as good as he is) is somewhat less than a demi-god .... dude has made a lot of questionable moves, not the least of which is McCaw, in the last 18 months. Or at least that didn't work out.
    Who is saying Ujiri is infallible? Yeah, he probably gets too much credit but that's every CEO of every successful business. It's a perk of being the guy who works 24/7, 365 days a years and gets the blame when things go wrong.

Your complaint seems to be that people aren't being critical enough but given that the organization has had its best stretch in history with him as the President (including the trade of the decade and a title no one thought Toronto would ever win) perhaps it's a combination of the goodwill he has earned (charity), together with people giving him the benefit of the doubt (patience).

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied

Totally agree but you also have to consider that Patrick Mutombo is doing OK with the 905 and we have a COY that was won post -Kawhi.

Maybe something that even fewer want to consider (blasphemy!) is maybe Masai (as good as he is) is somewhat less than a demi-god .... dude has made a lot of questionable moves, not the least of which is McCaw, in the last 18 months. Or at least that didn't work out.
    I'll never know what they saw in McCaw, I can tell you that, but NN also liked him.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied

Yep. That could also be part of it. Masai (... does he still work here?) and Bobby could be entering a down period because other teams have levelled up i.e., other front offices could be getting better at evaluating talent, while we remain at what was previously an elite level.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    S.R. wrote: View Post

Yeah I think it's just trends that come and go. There's no slot machine you pull the lever on and get NBA players out of on-demand. You can be a championship-level executive capable of building a championship level roster and....you don't win a ring every year. Ditto for player development. Can have savvy management and a good system and you'll still whiff on some.

Definitely feel the cohesion isn't there this year being in Tampa, that whole system that was set up with the Raptors and the 905 and the OVO Centre...all fragmented right now. That doesn't help.
    Look at how many lottery busts there are every year and Raps fans are complaining that guys picked 59th overall (or not all) aren't becoming top-9 guys every other year. All this raving about the Heat developing players but the reality is the only difference is they had two lotto picks in the last 4 years (Adebayo and Herro) and the Raps have had zero. Well, that and the title....

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

Nobody around here wants to consider the slight possibility that developing undervalued players into consistent rotation pieces might not be what it was, since Casey left the Raps and Stackhouse left the 905.

Leave a comment:

• A.I
    replied
    We've had Fred, Pascal, OG, Powell and now Boucher turn into solid to great players. On the other side of the coin, we've had Caboclo, Lorenzo, Miller, Richardson and so on, who haven't been able to make a proper career in the NBA.

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post

You have to get the right guys, in the right place, at the right time and you have to get lucky. We got spoiled with the Siakam/FVV/Powell group but you have to remember that the Raps had 6 picks from 2014-2016, including a lottery pick, and were in the process of full on rebuilding the roster during that stretch. From 2017-2020 they have had only 4 picks and none in the top-20. Still, they got OG and Boucher in that period and only one has been a total loss (Hernandez) with two still way too early to call (Flynn and Harris). Plus, Raps focus the last two years was winning titles.

I also think there is some romanticism about Raptors player development. Even during golden's Golden Age of Jerry Stackhouse and Dwane Casey, for every Siakam there was a Cabolco. No organization bats 1.000.

Just ask Jerry Stackhouse how his player development at Vandy is going.....
    Yeah I think it's just trends that come and go. There's no slot machine you pull the lever on and get NBA players out of on-demand. You can be a championship-level executive capable of building a championship level roster and....you don't win a ring every year. Ditto for player development. Can have savvy management and a good system and you'll still whiff on some.

Definitely feel the cohesion isn't there this year being in Tampa, that whole system that was set up with the Raptors and the 905 and the OVO Centre...all fragmented right now. That doesn't help.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied

Strange to see them cut bait on several fringe/development guys this season after several years of seemingly developing anybody into an NBA rotation player. Also, yeah strange lack of urgency in filling roster holes all season and weird timing on moves ever since they dropped Len. I don't know. But with the way things are going currently it does look like they just want to have enough players available to finish out the year.
    You have to get the right guys, in the right place, at the right time and you have to get lucky. We got spoiled with the Siakam/FVV/Powell group but you have to remember that the Raps had 6 picks from 2014-2016, including a lottery pick, and were in the process of full on rebuilding the roster during that stretch. From 2017-2020 they have had only 4 picks and none in the top-20. Still, they got OG and Boucher in that period and only one has been a total loss (Hernandez) with two still way too early to call (Flynn and Harris). Plus, Raps focus the last two years was winning titles.

I also think there is some romanticism about Raptors player development. Even during golden's Golden Age of Jerry Stackhouse and Dwane Casey, for every Siakam there was a Cabolco. No organization bats 1.000.

Just ask Jerry Stackhouse how his player development at Vandy is going.....

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied

Strange to see them cut bait on several fringe/development guys this season after several years of seemingly developing anybody into an NBA rotation player. Also, yeah strange lack of urgency in filling roster holes all season and weird timing on moves ever since they dropped Len. I don't know. But with the way things are going currently it does look like they just want to have enough players available to finish out the year.
    Nobody around here wants to consider the slight possibility that developing undervalued players into consistent rotation pieces might not be what it was, since Casey left the Raps and Stackhouse left the 905.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    Not McCaw's fault, but it must be nice to pocket $8M USD and championship ring for doing absolutely nothing, other than dragging down the team the few times your number is called. What TF were Masai & Bobby thinking?

Leave a comment:

• The Claw Reborn
    replied
    Good Riddance and cya, dont let the door hit you on your way out.

a total wasted roster spot that affected the development of TD, Thomas last season and Flynn on some games this season because Nick Nurse was so hypnotized by your 3 rings

deadweight

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    I don't really get the move. Are we trying to win? What's the point of swapping a guy that was never playing for a guy that might in a lost year?

Interesting to see who we get to replace him.

Good luck to any team who wants him and picks him up. He's pretty good at passing the ball back to someone as soon as he gets it.
    Guy was hurt all the time. No idea what they were thinking signing him to that deal. Waste of resources all around (time, energy, money, etc.).

Watched NBA ball for 30+ years and never before McCaw did I see a professional, veteran player who was scared of the basketball. Watched rookies who made bad decisions or passed up shots, watched aging vets looking for help, watched guys in slumps have a crisis of confidence, but never, ever saw a ball handling wing player afraid of getting the basketball.

As for the release, hopefully for him he finds a role somewhere and keeps getting paid but I wonder if he is done.

Leave a comment:

• Demographic Shift
    replied
    Its the end of an era.
    With McCaw gone who now dons the mantle of random player that becomes the pinata for born again raptor fandom?

Stanley ?
    Freddy?
    Pascal?
    Boucher?

#tampatank
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Fri Apr 9, 2021, 10:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X