Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bertarapsfan
    replied

Just leaving this here... Not really saying im regretting the trade yet... But this would have been really cool to see in the playoffs. JV destroyed embiid espically in the 4th

Leave a comment:

• JimiCliff
    replied
    It's also worth noting that major upgrades at the trade deadline don't have a great history of success in the NBA. Bit players, sure, but a top two or three player? There just isn't enough time to get everything to gel.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    JimiCliff wrote: View Post

I didn't like the trade initially, talked myself into, and it's starting to feel like a bad move. Guys you can go to war with in the playoffs don't grow on trees.
    The problem is, we're DYING for a 3rd scorer, and rebounding. JV would certainly offer both. Gasol is a better defender but Embiid figured him out yesterday anyway. He's a sharp passer, but right now nobody he passes to has any confidence to hit a shot.

JV would be so sweet right now, staggered to when Kawhi sits. Dump it in the post.

Leave a comment:

• JimiCliff
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post
    This is where I remind everyone that JV vs the Cavs in last years 2nd round averaged 16.25 pts and 12.25 rebounds, including 21 and 21 in game 1, in far less minutes than Marc.
    I didn't like the trade initially, talked myself into, but it's starting to feel like a bad move. Guys you can go to war with in the playoffs don't grow on trees.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    The Great One wrote: View Post
    Dude is getting outplayed by Moose Monroe in this series.
    It was pretty funny when moose went to his tippy toes for a dunk and got stuffed by the rim

but yeah never forget we released moose cause whatever who cares, and thought Eric Moreland would be replaceable

Leave a comment:

• The Great One
    replied
    Dude is getting outplayed by Moose Monroe in this series.

Leave a comment:

• Nilanka
    replied
    This is where I remind everyone that JV vs the Cavs in last years 2nd round averaged 16.25 pts and 12.25 rebounds, including 21 and 21 in game 1, in far less minutes than Marc.
    To be fair, Embiid is a much different animal compared to Tristan Thompson.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

Yeah, well if Nurse just stops being stubborn and matches Gasol with Embiid at the 6min mark of the 1st quarter, then Gasol can come back in fresh as the 1st or 2nd scoring option when Embiid returns to prop up our sad sack bench. Not only that, leaving at the 6min mark would give Serge a nice 6 minute run do run a few pick & pops with Lowry to get him going. Voila - 2 problems solved. The only reason I could think of Nurse being so stubborn to tether Gasol to Embiid is to not give a perceived psychological advantage that the Sixers are "imposing their will" and the Raps are reacting, which is a mantra that Nurse has been repeatedly blathering about all playoffs.
    His stubborness was shocking. They solved us in game 2, and without Kawhi having an amazing 4th we would have been blown out. He promised changes. How many changes happened? Z-E-R-O. What happened then? Well here's a shocker: They solved us in game 3, and without Kawhi having an amazing 3rd we would have been blow out.

I don't know if its an ego thing of coaches to not make a change suggested by fans and media, but the obvious ones were discussed ad nauseum, and seemed to be more common sense than anything.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied

I would say its the latter not the former. Kyle is the last common denominator. I'm not sure which role players you're referring that have moved on and had good playoffs? Amir, 2Pat, Derozan, Ross, JV, Carroll, Cojo...they've all moved and either don't make the playoffs or haven't been anything special. Lou Will had a virtuoso first round this year, but he's a completely better player than he was here.
    Lou Will is the exact same player. He's just not being asked to create offense 1 vs. 5 or draw fouls. He was also running a lot of PnR with Harrell and doing it brilliant. The Wizards series was the low point of the "we don't have the personnel to pass" system.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    As I was saying
    Yeah, well if Nurse just stops being stubborn and matches Gasol with Embiid at the 6min mark of the 1st quarter, then Gasol can come back in fresh as the 1st or 2nd scoring option when Embiid returns to prop up our sad sack bench. Not only that, leaving at the 6min mark would give Serge a nice 6 minute run do run a few pick & pops with Lowry to get him going. Voila - 2 problems solved. The only reason I could think of Nurse being so stubborn to tether Gasol to Embiid is to not give a perceived psychological advantage that the Sixers are "imposing their will" and the Raps are reacting, which is a mantra that Nurse has been repeatedly blathering about all playoffs.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post

I don't understand the Raptor collective psyche. It's not the coach.. Nurse is generally calm and collected. Is it us the fans? Most fans are insecure as hell.. and it's hard not to be. We're a country not a city or state. We don't get "ESPN". We're like the bastard child of the NBA. But our fans can be hard core. Is that too much pressure for these guys?

I mean every single Raptor that was a role player here seems to move on somewhere else and is fine in the playoffs. But here we turtle so bad.

Maybe the problem is Lowry. Maybe he influences the team so much that it rubs off on anyone (who's not human - ie, Kawhi).

Siakam improved for sure.. but he was still pretty bad the last two games. That trip on Embiid for example shows you how mentally fragile he was.

I love Lowry.. he is the reason why we have been so successful during the Masai years. But I really think he's also the reason why we've plateaued as a franchise. He's our engine but it's just become so unreliable sad to say. The problem is we have no contingency plan once Lowry leaves or gets traded.
    I would say its the latter not the former. Kyle is the last common denominator. I'm not sure which role players you're referring that have moved on and had good playoffs? Amir, 2Pat, Derozan, Ross, JV, Carroll, Cojo...they've all moved and either don't make the playoffs or haven't been anything special. Lou Will had a virtuoso first round this year, but he's a completely better player than he was here.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    As I was saying

“I always think that really good teams, offensively anyway, usually need a lead guy, and then obviously a second guy,” Nurse had said earlier Thursday. “But the third guy is also important, too — that there’s a third guy you can go to and score.

“Now, we’ve got Kawhi, Pascal and Kyle can be that guy. But I think Marc needs to inch his way into that discussion. He’s just too talented of a scorer to not put up a few more points.”

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied

I remember we all said in the regular season "the team is now built to survive lowrys disappearing acts" we dont need him to score

what we didn't plan for is Marc, serge, fred, danny and norm to also shrink.

maybe it's just a raptors curse..but then again our MVP and our MIP have actually IMPROVED their games. But that's only 2 men.
    I don't understand the Raptor collective psyche. It's not the coach.. Nurse is generally calm and collected. Is it us the fans? Most fans are insecure as hell.. and it's hard not to be. We're a country not a city or state. We don't get "ESPN". We're like the bastard child of the NBA. But our fans can be hard core. Is that too much pressure for these guys?

I mean every single Raptor that was a role player here seems to move on somewhere else and is fine in the playoffs. But here we turtle so bad.

Maybe the problem is Lowry. Maybe he influences the team so much that it rubs off on anyone (who's not human - ie, Kawhi).

Siakam improved for sure.. but he was still pretty bad the last two games. That trip on Embiid for example shows you how mentally fragile he was.

I love Lowry.. he is the reason why we have been so successful during the Masai years. But I really think he's also the reason why we've plateaued as a franchise. He's our engine but it's just become so unreliable sad to say. The problem is we have no contingency plan once Lowry leaves or gets traded.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    Marc Gasol is a grizzled vet.. 3x all-star, 2x all-nba (one first). He was supposed to be the guy that calm's everyone down. I thought that was the purpose for the trade. To bring his leadership to this team.. Something we didn't quite have with JV.

He's been to the WCF. He's lead his own team where he was the alpha dog.

Just so disappointing.

I mean with Lowry we've seen it before. He comes and goes.. he did score 20 in game 2. And hit two big 3's. But he gets gun shy. We've seen that in the regular season. I never thought Lowry would rub off on Marc though. Just so disappointing.

I remember we all said in the regular season "the team is now built to survive lowrys disappearing acts" we dont need him to score

what we didn't plan for is Marc, serge, fred, danny and norm to also shrink.

maybe it's just a raptors curse..but then again our MVP and our MIP have actually IMPROVED their games. But that's only 2 men.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X