Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inthepaint
    replied
    Norm quietly ended up the season with a nice 40% from 3 overall, second best on the team behind Danny. If he can provide good defence and spacing as our 8th/9th man, that will great in the playoffs. The main thing with him is shot selection, more specifically deciding when to drive, and when to pull back when the lane is clogged.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    Just looked up Kyle's splits. He shot 40% from 3 in March.. wow. Figured he was sub 30. The April numbers (only 4 games) has given me recency bias. Only shot 26.9% in April.
    April games are a small sample. Probably should take March + April as an aggregate.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Just looked up Kyle's splits. He shot 40% from 3 in March.. wow. Figured he was sub 30. The April numbers (only 4 games) has given me recency bias. Only shot 26.9% in April.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    MixxAOR wrote: View Post
    CJ Miles was tanking our 3P% and Wright didn't take any. That's why the increase imo
    Yeah, but that doesn't explain why Pascal, Danny, Lowry and Kawhi all started shooting 3's better in March. Gasol does.

Leave a comment:

• MixxAOR
    replied
    CJ Miles was tanking our 3P% and Wright didn't take any. That's why the increase imo

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

Slight uptick. Unfortunately, there's no stat for "in rhythm" shot, but that's what the eye test is telling me.
    I completely agree with the in-rhythm argument, and I think it's represented most clearly by a larger number of three point attempts coming on catch-and-shoot opportunities instead of pull ups, and more open shots. Generally speaking that would correlate with guys getting good looks they can be set for. Before the trade, 72% of their 3's were catch-and-shoot, 55% were wide open. Since the trade, 79% catch-and-shoot, 59% wide open.

I don't attribute that entirely to Gasol though - a lot of it is the ever decreasing minutes where the team has FVV as the only viable ball handler on the floor, or is running offence through OG or McCaw or Powell. You just can't generate good offence doing stuff like that. The increased staggering of stars and even increasing use of 2-star bench lineups has really improved the looks everyone has gotten, with Gasol on the floor or without him. Gasol is indeed having an impact as well, of course. The splits are something like 43% from 3 with him on the court and 38% without him - both of which are way better than the shooting from before the trade. More impressive perhaps than the improved accuracy with Gasol is just how many shots they get from distance with him - they are averaging 36 3PAs per 100 possessions (would rank 4th in the league) with Gasol, versus only 31 when he sits (16th).

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post

Corner 3's per game:

Pre-Gasol: 9.1 per game
    Post-Gasol: 10.6 per game

Number of above the break threes per game is basically identical before and after. So it's not shifting threes from the break to the corner, just creating 1.5 corner threes out of what used to be 2 point attempts.
    Slight uptick. Unfortunately, there's no stat for "in rhythm" shot, but that's what the eye test is telling me.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

I always maintained that our poor 3-pt shooting was most likely due to "lack of rhythm" because of the drive/kick & heavy ISO style and not because we needed "more shooters" as just about everybody else suggested. Gasol has brought more swing passes and forces shooters to be shot ready, and that mentality has been contagious. Especially the corner 3. I don't have the data, but I suspect there's been an uptick in corner 3's since Gasol arrived.

That said.... it will be interesting to see if the 'pass happy' mentality holds up after Pascal, Lowry and Gasol brick 5 straight 3's in a close playoff game.
    Corner 3's per game:

Pre-Gasol: 9.1 per game
    Post-Gasol: 10.6 per game

Number of above the break threes per game is basically identical before and after. So it's not shifting threes from the break to the corner, just creating 1.5 corner threes out of what used to be 2 point attempts.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post

I find it hard to attribute that leap in 3PT shooting to Gasol entirely. The Raptors' shooters were due to regress regardless. He does have a significant positive impact, but it's not quite as stark a contrast as the pre- and post-trade numbers would suggest. Meanwhile, the turnovers have leapt up and the offence is about the same as it was before the trade and well shy of where it was in the first two months.

But if they deploy the rotations correctly (as they are trending towards) as a result of the Gasol deal (as compared to how they might have deployed them if the trade didn't happen), that deal is likely the biggest impact deadline deal in the league.
    I always maintained that our poor 3-pt shooting was most likely due to "lack of rhythm" because of the drive/kick & heavy ISO style and not because we needed "more shooters" as just about everybody else suggested. Gasol has brought more swing passes and forces shooters to be shot ready, and that mentality has been contagious. Especially the corner 3. I don't have the data, but I suspect there's been an uptick in corner 3's since Gasol arrived.

That said.... it will be interesting to see if the 'pass happy' mentality holds up after Pascal, Lowry and Gasol brick 5 straight 3's in a close playoff game.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    Puffer wrote: View Post
    Just wondering about how Gasol's impact on the Raptors this season might compare with the moves other teams have made? The uptick in the effectiveness of their 3 pt shooting has been amazing. I can't think of any other players who have had a similar impact, but I don't follow other teams closely. Any opinions?
    I find it hard to attribute that leap in 3PT shooting to Gasol entirely. The Raptors' shooters were due to regress regardless. He does have a significant positive impact, but it's not quite as stark a contrast as the pre- and post-trade numbers would suggest. Meanwhile, the turnovers have leapt up and the offence is about the same as it was before the trade and well shy of where it was in the first two months.

But if they deploy the rotations correctly (as they are trending towards) as a result of the Gasol deal (as compared to how they might have deployed them if the trade didn't happen), that deal is likely the biggest impact deadline deal in the league.

Leave a comment:

• GOLDBLUM
    replied
    bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

i would say brook lopez to the bucks but thats a whole season if your strictly talking trade deadline moves.
    Brook and Marc may be headed for a direct collision course if things go as it looks they might. Would be an exciting match up.

Leave a comment:

• bertarapsfan
    replied
    Puffer wrote: View Post
    Just wondering about how Gasol's impact on the Raptors this season might compare with the moves other teams have made? The uptick in the effectiveness of their 3 pt shooting has been amazing. I can't think of any other players who have had a similar impact, but I don't follow other teams closely. Any opinions?
    i would say brook lopez to the bucks but thats a whole season if your strictly talking trade deadline moves.

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    GLF wrote: View Post

Couldn't agree more. Always backs his statements up with proof and stats while a lot of others just talk out of their ass with no proof. And then people wonder why I'm team Dan H lol.
    And when DanH gets out of line, I'm right there with the....

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    KHD wrote: View Post

That's cause he's an impact poster.

I just come here to post meaningless opinions that don't contribute to success. The Ricky Davis posting method.
    I fancy myself a Dennis Rodman. Valuable, but kind of cringey too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X