Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Marc Gasol

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • golden wrote: View Post

    I think it's more that we've come to expect Masai to win trades lopsided and decisively. It's not as clear-cut as everyone would hope, at least not yet.
    This. Agreed. Though things are certainly starting to take shape. Playoffs will prove all.

    Wasn't as much consternation about the Demar trade cause it was so clearly a massive upgrade that was absolutely worth the gamble.

    Comment


    • golden wrote: View Post

      I think it's more that we've come to expect Masai to win trades lopsided and decisively. It's not as clear-cut as everyone would hope, at least not yet.
      It's absolutely clear-cut. It's a trade that benefited both teams. Grizzlies aren't contending so they got younger assets in return. JV adds nothing to our team. He's not an impact player, just a guy who puts up big numbers. We don't need that, we need impact like what Marc provides (leads the team in netRTG)

      These were our numbers with Gasol on the floor as of April 1st:

      116.1 ortg (1st)
      101.7 drtg (1st)
      14.4 net rtg (1st)
      68.9 ast% (1st)
      59.5 efg% (1st)
      62.6 TS% (1st)
      50.4 fg% (1st)
      43.4 3fg% (1st)

      Anyone who still thinks we should've kept JV is living in a dream world or just a massive JV stan.

      In the playoffs when Nurse hopefully stops playing 5 man bench units, we are going to be very fucking dangerous as a result of this trade.

      Comment


      • At this point if you are still arguing in favour of JV despite the obvious visual on-court improvements as well as statistical you are an enemy of the success of this basketball club. No different than the folks arguing that it was smart for DeRozan to take 25 shots a game and live or die on his ability to make contested 17-20 foot shots.

        Comment


        • Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post

          It's absolutely clear-cut. It's a trade that benefited both teams. Grizzlies aren't contending so they got younger assets in return. JV adds nothing to our team. He's not an impact player, just a guy who puts up big numbers. We don't need that, we need impact like what Marc provides (leads the team in netRTG)

          These were our numbers with Gasol on the floor as of April 1st:

          116.1 ortg (1st)
          101.7 drtg (1st)
          14.4 net rtg (1st)
          68.9 ast% (1st)
          59.5 efg% (1st)
          62.6 TS% (1st)
          50.4 fg% (1st)
          43.4 3fg% (1st)

          Anyone who still thinks we should've kept JV is living in a dream world or just a massive JV stan.

          In the playoffs when Nurse hopefully stops playing 5 man bench units, we are going to be very fucking dangerous as a result of this trade.
          Gasol's first game as a Raptor was on Feb 9th. So numbers from Feb 9th to April 1 (per NBA.com):

          112.7 ortg (8th)
          105.9 drtg (3rd)
          6.8 net rtg (3rd)
          66.3% ast% (2nd)
          56.5% efg% (1st)
          59.8% TS% (1st)
          48.3% FG% (tied for 1st)
          41.3% 3fg% (1st)

          Not sure where you got your numbers from, but they seem wrong.

          Comment


          • planetmars wrote: View Post

            Gasol's first game as a Raptor was on Feb 9th. So numbers from Feb 9th to April 1 (per NBA.com):

            112.7 ortg (8th)
            105.9 drtg (3rd)
            6.8 net rtg (3rd)
            66.3% ast% (2nd)
            56.5% efg% (1st)
            59.8% TS% (1st)
            48.3% FG% (tied for 1st)
            41.3% 3fg% (1st)

            Not sure where you got your numbers from, but they seem wrong.
            My numbers are correct you just didn't read properly.

            These were our numbers with Gasol on the floor as of April 1st:

            Comment


            • Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post

              My numbers are correct you just didn't read properly.
              He didn't read properly because he was assuming you weren't doing the very silly thing that you did. Comparing a player's on-court or lineup numbers to overall team numbers is a silly thing to do.

              Gasol has been playing so much with the starters that of course he has those on-court numbers. When JV played with the starters they had a +21 net rating, you didn't see people putting that up against the Warriors' or Bucks' full team net ratings and saying JV was the MVP. The Raptors' starters have been very good all year. Gasol succeeding there is par for the course, not some sort of master stroke. Never mind the marshmallow soft schedule the Raptors have had since his acquisition...

              Now, the stylistic change, with the offence having more passing, could be seen as a big benefit - and has certainly seemed to invigorate the shooting, to an even greater degree than JV's screening did early in the season, so that's a really good sign. But there have been drawbacks too - the Raptors are among the worst rebounding teams in the league since Gasol's acquisition, and have seen their turnover rate spike.

              Still, I'm very optimistic they can leverage their strengths to such a degree that those weaknesses won't hurt them overmuch. Mind you I'd have been confident of that if they'd just kept JV and played him with the starters, but they seem unlikely to have done that enough, so on that ground alone the Gasol trade is paying off.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

              Comment


              • April 1st? Kind of a small sample still. How many games has Gasol started now?
                Last edited by LJ2; Thu Apr 4th, 2019, 10:48 AM.

                Comment


                • Yeah Raps looked good beating up tanking teams and lower seeds.
                  Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

                  Comment


                  • MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                    Yeah Raps looked good beating up tanking teams and lower seeds.
                    I miss being able to see your avatars. You were the avatar king, Mixx



                    It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                    Comment


                    • shaolin returning with the big "i'm smart and you're all dumb" while making questionable statistical comparisons. what a surprise

                      Comment


                      • KeonClark wrote: View Post

                        I miss being able to see your avatars. You were the avatar king, Mixx


                        I couldn't adjust to the changing world
                        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

                        Comment


                        • Any chance we see Gasol and Ibaka in the starting line-up during the playoffs? I guess at the cost of moving Danny to the bench. Say if we match up with Detroit in the first round and need to be more physical.

                          Comment


                          • LJ2 wrote: View Post
                            Any chance we see Gasol and Ibaka in the starting line-up during the playoffs? I guess at the cost of moving Danny to the bench. Say if we match up with Detroit in the first round and need to be more physical.
                            No
                            It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                            Comment


                            • KHD wrote: View Post
                              shaolin returning with the big "i'm smart and you're all dumb" while making questionable statistical comparisons. what a surprise
                              Not all, just the people who think it would've been smarter to keep JV.

                              Comment


                              • Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post

                                Not all, just the people who think it would've been smarter to keep JV.
                                I mean, there IS logic to it, even if not for this year. JV has proven he can put up all star numbers and he's 27. So if Kawhi stay, they're the same age. Gasol on the other hand is an all in move. He's on his last legs. It may help 2019, but doesn't prolong your window. I'm in favor of the move, but it is a nuanced discussion beyond "JV scoring mad points right now"
                                It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X