Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Marc Gasol

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • planetmars wrote: View Post
    Hard to look past Orlando since the series is not over.. but I'm really looking forward to the Embiid/Gasol match up in the next round. Vucevic is humble. Embiid is not. Will be far more satisfying to watch Gasol shut Joel down than it was watching him shut down Nikola.

    Embiid struggles with smart post players. Will be fun.
    Hard not to appreciate Gasol more and more after every game. The players seem to be gelling around him finally. Everyone has a better understanding of his capabilities and he of theirs. It should only get better the further the Raptors go in the playoffs. This team hasn't hit their ceiling yet.

    Comment


    • planetmars wrote: View Post
      Hard to look past Orlando since the series is not over.. but I'm really looking forward to the Embiid/Gasol match up in the next round. Vucevic is humble. Embiid is not. Will be far more satisfying to watch Gasol shut Joel down than it was watching him shut down Nikola.

      Embiid struggles with smart post players. Will be fun.
      And then factor in Embiid's wonky legs....

      Comment


      • Gasol and Lowry, our 7 footer and 6 footer, and 2 oldest players, have similar career arcs. Made their first all star game at 27 and 28. Were part of a 2 headed leadership group that led underrated teams to consistent playoff appearances. Peaked at conference finals. And now, as they both decline, are still fantastic on the defensive end, and you really only need around 10 pts a game these days because of their impact and IQ elsewhere.

        Neither has been to an NBA finals and understand this has a very real chance of being their last kick at the can. Both once the best player on top 5-10 teams in the NBA, its nice to see them slide into comfortable roles as facilitators and contributors, letting 2 thoroughbreds in their 20s get all the headlines.
        It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

        Comment


        • Tmac2darak wrote: View Post
          How does Gasol match up vs Emblid
          Really well. But this is a a different animal in the post season.....

          Comment


          • MixxAOR wrote: View Post

            Kind of like what Bogut was(and is?) to Warriors during their first championship runs.
            Man, I got roasted when I suggested that we pickup Bogut at the trade deadline for backup center insurance. He's playing great - starting for Warriors. Looks like he dropped some weight. Matter of time before he's injured, though.

            Comment


            • golden wrote: View Post

              Man, I got roasted when I suggested that we pickup Bogut at the trade deadline for backup center insurance. He's playing great - starting for Warriors. Looks like he dropped some weight. Matter of time before he's injured, though.
              When your team is better without Demarcus Cousins in the lineup...stop me if you've heard that before

              He signed for peanuts to the Warriors to cash in this summer. Not sure how much the strategy worked...I'm not pulling out a cheque book for Cousins if I'm an NBA owner trying to build a champion
              It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

              Comment


              • KeonClark wrote: View Post

                When your team is better without Demarcus Cousins in the lineup...stop me if you've heard that before

                He signed for peanuts to the Warriors to cash in this summer. Not sure how much the strategy worked...I'm not pulling out a cheque book for Cousins if I'm an NBA owner trying to build a champion
                The reason they're better without Cousins is different than NOP or SAC, though. Warriors have elite shooters, and they need touches to stay in rhythm. They were deferring too much to Cousins and Curry and Klay were getting cold (I mean, relatively, for them). At center, they just need a smart low usage guy, who plays defense, rebounds and can pass the ball. That's basically the definition of Bogut at this stage.

                Comment


                • golden wrote: View Post

                  The reason they're better without Cousins is different than NOP or SAC, though. Warriors have elite shooters, and they need touches to stay in rhythm. They were deferring too much to Cousins and Curry and Klay were getting cold (I mean, relatively, for them). At center, they just need a smart low usage guy, who plays defense, rebounds and can pass the ball. That's basically the definition of Bogut at this stage.
                  It's all part of the same story, though. Cousins should be deferring to them and accepting a lesser role. Look at what Gasol has done in Toronto. He could force the issue and no one would complain but he isn't. Cousins is all about Cousins. He didn't go to GSW to help them win a ring, he went there so they could help him win a ring....

                  Comment


                  • slaw wrote: View Post

                    It's all part of the same story, though. Cousins should be deferring to them and accepting a lesser role. Look at what Gasol has done in Toronto. He could force the issue and no one would complain but he isn't. Cousins is all about Cousins. He didn't go to GSW to help them win a ring, he went there so they could help him win a ring....
                    Cha-ching. His decision to join the Warriors was mean spirited. He felt like NBA GMs were screwing him over when nobody offered him a big contract in free agency, and decided to extract his revenge on the league. Karma works in mysterious ways.

                    Comment


                    • golden wrote: View Post

                      The reason they're better without Cousins is different than NOP or SAC, though. Warriors have elite shooters, and they need touches to stay in rhythm. They were deferring too much to Cousins and Curry and Klay were getting cold (I mean, relatively, for them). At center, they just need a smart low usage guy, who plays defense, rebounds and can pass the ball. That's basically the definition of Bogut at this stage.
                      Still, when you can make that argument with a straight face now (better without than with) for three straight teams, for a supposed top 3 big and all nba, that is a bit of a red flag. He's now 28 years old. Needs the ball to be effective, but shoots 3s below average (around 35%, 27% this year), but takes more attempts than Danny Green

                      I maintain my stance, would not throw anything near max money at this guy. And he doesn't seem to have the personality to become a role player even if he could. Looks to me like a "Carmelo Anthony post-30s" career is in his near future
                      It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                      Comment


                      • Gasol has been so good in the playoffs. His defence is at another level...the way he gets his hands on the ball is Kawhi like.

                        As much as we are all looking forward to that Gasol/Embiid match up I think we need to realize how incredibly screwed we would be if Gasol gets hurt or in foul trouble in that series.

                        Comment


                        • Anyone still whining about the trade? and how JV is putting up monster numbers in Memphis? he's putting up monster numbers in Memphis because they're featuring him. If the Raptors featured him when he was here then they'd be in the lottery just like Memphis.

                          Comment


                          • LJ2 wrote: View Post
                            Gasol has been so good in the playoffs. His defence is at another level...the way he gets his hands on the ball is Kawhi like.

                            As much as we are all looking forward to that Gasol/Embiid match up I think we need to realize how incredibly screwed we would be if Gasol gets hurt or in foul trouble in that series.
                            Embiid should be the one worried about health. Dude took a rest day in a 2-1 playoff series

                            "It's tough. That's what tendinitis is all about," Embiid told reporters after he was ruled out (via ESPN). "And some days you got your days and some other days is different. So even in the games that I play I just try to go out there and try to play for these guys. ... I try to help us win the series and eliminate them. So whatever, whatever I can do. But it's hard. I just got to keep pushing it and see how I do."

                            Embiid was "a game-time decision" for the last two matchups. He took the court in Game 2 and tallied 23 points, along with 10 rebounds, in Philadelphia's 145-123 win.

                            Embiid missed five of the 76ers' last seven regular-season games with the knee issue. Philadelphia coach Brett Brown described Embiid's injury as a "slippery slope" when he met with reporters last weekend

                            "We are the recipient of Jo trying to inch along slowly and buy time," Brown said (via The Philly Voice). "You win a game, two more days, you win a game, three more days, you might drop one, four more days. How do you deliver him responsibly to a later date in ultimately what you hope will be a deep playoff run?"

                            "It's not as clear cut as you thought it would be on 'how do you maintain a fitness base and still get his knee rest?'" Brown said. "What do we do to help him most now? I believe a solid plan is in place that can deliver him responsibly, incrementally to later dates."
                            It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                            Comment


                            • KeonClark wrote: View Post

                              Still, when you can make that argument with a straight face now (better without than with) for three straight teams, for a supposed top 3 big and all nba, that is a bit of a red flag. He's now 28 years old. Needs the ball to be effective, but shoots 3s below average (around 35%, 27% this year), but takes more attempts than Danny Green

                              I maintain my stance, would not throw anything near max money at this guy. And he doesn't seem to have the personality to become a role player even if he could. Looks to me like a "Carmelo Anthony post-30s" career is in his near future
                              For sure. You just look at his ORTG vs. USG to see he's gotten past all-star recognition for being a slightly inefficient volume scorer, which is why his teams don't win. And why he's always feuding with his coaches. Late career Melo is a perfect comp.

                              Comment


                              • KeonClark wrote: View Post

                                Embiid should be the one worried about health. Dude took a rest day in a 2-1 playoff series

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X