Everything Marc Gasol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

That's a very interesting scenario. 3 years at 16 guarantees him at least another 50 million before he hangs em up, and singlehandedly alleviates the tax bill huge without giving up any assets

I'm comfortable paying a 38 year old end of bench gasol 16 million if it means shaving 10 min this upcoming year and keeping Serge
    Gasol @ 16M per year still feels like an overpay, IMO. We might be better off if he opts-in and use his expiring salary at the trade deadline to grab a decent player for the playoffs and some draft assets from those treadmill teams who are perpetually chasing cap space.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Gasol @ 16M per year still feels like an overpay, IMO. We might be better off if he opts-in and use his expiring salary at the trade deadline to grab a decent player for the playoffs and some draft assets from those treadmill teams who are perpetually chasing cap space.
      Seems more like a function Serge would fulfill. Gasol is still very good.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

If he opts in and can still play anything close to like he did this year, we keep him for the repeat drive. The east will go thru Embiid and giannis again.
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
          Marc's just got such an interesting mesh of skills that it makes him really difficult to replace with one player. He defends at a high level without athleticism, but also hits 3's AND is key to moving the ball from that point-centre position.
          He also can't finish at the rim against a defensive stalwart like Tobias Harris, and he grinds the offense to a halt when he goes into his "afraid to shoot" modes. I was done with the pretty passing after the Philly series, tbh. It ended up with Siakam contested 3's with 2 seconds on the clock or Kawhi having to create against 3 defenders. And Gasol was pretty much telegraphing those beautiful looking touch/swing passes, so defenders knew exactly where the ball was going.
          Last edited by golden; Mon Jun 24, 2019, 03:41 PM.

Comment

He also can't finish at the rim against a defensive stalwart like Tobias Harris, and he grinds the offense to a halt when he goes into his "afraid to shoot" modes. I was done with the pretty passing after the Philly series, tbh. It ended up with Siakam contested 3's with 2 seconds on the clock or Kawhi having to create against 3 defenders. And Gasol was pretty much telegraphic those beautiful looking touch/swing passes, so defenders knew exactly where the ball was going.
            Yeah, Gasol was a disaster offensively in the PHI series and almost cost us that round in spite of the great job he did on Embiid. I thought he was better vs MIL and GSW (thank goodness).
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Yeah, Gasol was a disaster offensively in the PHI series and almost cost us that round in spite of the great job he did on Embiid. I thought he was better vs MIL and GSW (thank goodness).
              I think we still win Philly with JV instead of Gasol. Game 2 I look at in particular. Raptors list 94-89, and Marc had 5 pts ..Serge had 2..7 pts in 48 minutes, that game was a disaster offensively and JV would helped...However I think we lose Milwaukee with JV instead of Gasol and our run ends in a 6 or 7 game defeat in the conf finals.
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Lots of big centers available in free agency this summer: Marc (if he opts out), Vucevic, JV, Jordan, Cousins, Lopez (Brook and Robin), Kanter, McGee (plus others who can play C like Horford/Dedmon/WCS)..

Not sure the best strategy for Marc would be to opt out and then compete with those guys for a deal. But age is a factor too. I suspect he'll opt in but I'm like 50/50 on that. Have no real insights on which way he's leaning.

JV opted out which was a surprise to be honest. 2020 looks like a better year for guys looking for a big pay check. Not a lot of bigs that summer (potentially).

Comment

• I'm somewhat curious to see how Gasol looks following a full training camp with these guys. I would imagine Nurse attempts to integrate him more as a scorer.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    I'm somewhat curious to see how Gasol looks following a full training camp with these guys. I would imagine Nurse attempts to integrate him more as a scorer.
                    That's the hope becuase I think it's 99% Marc stays put. I got so frustrated when he's pass out of easy bunnies in favour of a low percentage touch pass. The guy could get 10-15 every night without giving up any of his passing skills by just being a bit more selective or court-aware; he sees the whole court except himself lol

Comment

• imagine we bring JV back, that would be insane

Also, Marc is aging so I think he staysssss

Comment

Hes also very clearly in sharp decline. One day we'll blink and he can longer defend the pick n roll at the 3 pt line anymore
                        Agreed, he's right at the edge of the cliff. Still, what he was able to bring was integral to the championship run.

Comment

• I think with a full training camp to get him into "Raptors-shape" rather than "Grit n' Grind-shape" will make a world of difference. The guy changed our team completely for the better even moving at half-speed.

Comment

Hes also very clearly in sharp decline. One day we'll blink and he can longer defend the pick n roll at the 3 pt line anymore
                            You’re right, but it’s going to be hard to move on from anyone from this team lol
                            The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post

You’re right, but it’s going to be hard to move on from anyone from this team lol
                              At least we have a legit reason to start discussing retiring numbers in the near future. I say the whole starting line-up gets the Nod. And Fred. And Serge. Fuck it, why not. Lol

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

At least we have a legit reason to start discussing retiring numbers in the near future. I say the whole starting line-up gets the Nod. And Fred. And Serge. Fuck it, why not. Lol
                                Can't leave out Norm.

Comment

Working...
                                X