No announcement yet.

Everything Marc Gasol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We mainly need rebounding and solid #1B scorer type. This team is very good with perhaps the biggest challenges being MIL in the East and LAC in the West. With the emergence of Davis and Boucher it opens up trade opportunities with Norm and Ibaka, As I mentioned earlier, Gasol is a trade option too, however, he provides a big, long defensive presence that is effective in neutralizing other big scoring C's like Embiid, Vuc. Whatever Masai decides to do, we certainly are witnessing the Golden Era of Raptors basketball.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

I'm not sold on that succession planning quite yet. Ibaka was critical in the playoffs last season and I don't see Boucher being able to replicate his presence (at least not yet). The question of how this team could be materially improved this season is really interesting because they have no glaring weakness (other than they don't have a top-5 guy) and the team as a whole is more than the sum of its parts. You mess around with that and it could go sideways.

But Blazers and Pelicans bear watching. Have to think both those situations could be in flux depending on how December and January go for each of them.
      I would say Boucher has improved remarkably from where he was last year. Hard to say how good he will be coming up to the trade deadline. Given how RHJ, Davis, Siakim, and Boucher have improved from last year, any speculation about how good anyone of them will be in May is highly speculative. I am completely content to leave it to the brain trust.

Comment

I'm not sold on that succession planning quite yet. Ibaka was critical in the playoffs last season and I don't see Boucher being able to replicate his presence (at least not yet). The question of how this team could be materially improved this season is really interesting because they have no glaring weakness (other than they don't have a top-5 guy) and the team as a whole is more than the sum of its parts. You mess around with that and it could go sideways.

But Blazers and Pelicans bear watching. Have to think both those situations could be in flux depending on how December and January go for each of them.
        Yeah, Serge doesn't get enough credit for how clutch he was in those must-win playoff games when the rest of the team, other than Kawhi, straight up turtled. It wasn't just clutch shot-making, it was his energy, rebounding and rim protection at those key make-or-break moments that swing games. Serge is battle tested under the highest pressure conditions.

Boucher is looking great, but he's still trying to prove himself to be a consistent NBA rotation player. His advanced metrics & impact stats are fantastic. Too bad we don't have him locked up under a cheap contract for next year.... but for some reason we have McCaw getting $4M as a very expensive rabbit's foot.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Yeah, Serge doesn't get enough credit for how clutch he was in those must-win playoff games when the rest of the team, other than Kawhi, straight up turtled. It wasn't just clutch shot-making, it was his energy, rebounding and rim protection at those key make-or-break moments that swing games. Serge is battle tested under the highest pressure conditions.

Boucher is looking great, but he's still trying to prove himself to be a consistent NBA rotation player. His advanced metrics & impact stats are fantastic. Too bad we don't have him locked up under a cheap contract for next year.... but for some reason we have McCaw getting $4M as a very expensive rabbit's foot.
          I wouldn't trade serge. Not only do i love the guy he has become the heart of our team along with Kyle. And he came up in the biggest moments in the Playoffs. Game 7 vs the sixers. 17 Pts game 4 vs Bucks. 6 block game 3 in finals. 20 Point game 4 finals. Personally i don't really see any roster changes in our future this year nor do i really want any. I love these, players, love this team and im not convinced we arn't going to make it to the ECF where anything can happen. Most of our rotation players have championship DNA and RHJ and Davis are fucking dawgs.

Fuck the roster movement these our my guys and I'm riding with them. Only move i make is if we can unload Norms contract without attaching any picks or taking back a longer term contract.
          To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Serge is underrated in Raptorland.

Every business in the world has a Patrick McCaw..... the guy who is easily replaceable and makes way more money than people who add way more value but for some reason always survives.

Comment

Serge is underrated in Raptorland.

Every business in the world has a Patrick McCaw..... the guy who is easily replaceable and makes way more money than people who add way more value but for some reason always survives.
              Definitely underrated. At one point in the Sixers series, Nurse was only trusting his 5 starters + Ibaka. When push came to shove, in our most difficult series..... Serge was "the bench". He was also the only guy not afraid to take open shots in the flow of the offense - make or miss.

Comment

• I cant understand the idea of trading gasol or serge...its absurd to me. I love what boucher brings to the table, but keon man, he hasnt made anyone expendable. In fact, nobody has made anyone expendable in my mind. We are a solid 10 deep, with a few minutes here and there for matt thomas, and thats it. And we need everyone of these guys. There might be an argument that davis makes norm expendable, but for me, thats a playoff thing when 8 guys might be enough to trust to get the job done. Its not like norm would get much of a return in a trade anyways. We also have plenty of secondary scoring...fred is averaging 20+ in kyles absence and kyle was averaging 20+ when he was healthy. Serge was averaging like 14ppg off the bench amd the team as a whole has beem amazing from 3. Now i understand the idea that a tier 2 star like a beal would be great for the team (not sure beal is the right guy) but you gotta be very careful in what you give up for such a player. No one here is talking about a kawhi leonard type, and I'm just not sure the raps have the pieces to trade for a tier 2 star and actually be better. We have no replacement for gasol or Ibaka IMO, so someone else has got to come back in a trade, which makes it even harder to work.

anyways, we got great defence at all positions, good 3pt shooting at all positions, 3-4 solid ball handlers, a great playmaker at the point and at C and a solid bench with smart energetic players. The only thing this team really needs is for siakam to get even better. I think some of his drives are still a little wild, often resulting in some awkward shots. The game hasnt slowed for him in the same way that it has for the top guys. He gets to that point, and this team will be tough to beat in a 7 game series. Hopefully, that happens this season because gasol and lowry are aging and might not be able to be as effective as they are in the near future.

and we also have the best coach in the game and probably the best executive.

so i'm with berta...f'ing ride or die with this group.

Comment

• Yeah, I have no interest in the trade market right now. Just, none. I pretty much love where we're at for every position - 3+ deep. I put all faith in Masai obviously, but I'm loving this current roster.

Comment

• The problem is, those young rotation guys are hungry for minutes which they won't get once Serge and Kyle are back. That could lead to issues down the line.

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

I wouldn't trade serge. Not only do i love the guy he has become the heart of our team along with Kyle. And he came up in the biggest moments in the Playoffs. Game 7 vs the sixers. 17 Pts game 4 vs Bucks. 6 block game 3 in finals. 20 Point game 4 finals. Personally i don't really see any roster changes in our future this year nor do i really want any. I love these, players, love this team and im not convinced we arn't going to make it to the ECF where anything can happen. Most of our rotation players have championship DNA and RHJ and Davis are fucking dawgs.

Fuck the roster movement these our my guys and I'm riding with them. Only move i make is if we can unload Norms contract without attaching any picks or taking back a longer term contract.
                      I mentioned this elsewhere, but given how good our organization has been at finding gems that go undrafted, I don't feel as attached to our picks. I know it's overconfidence, but it almost feels like we don't necessarily need picks lol

Definitely not interested in trading Gasol. I don't mind seeing what Norm, SJ, McCaw, and a pick fetch us.

Edit: a word

Comment

• can't teach wingspan wrote: View Post

I mentioned this elsewhere, but given how good our organization has been at finding gems that go undrafted, I don't feel as attached to our picks. I know it's overconfidence, but it almost feels like we don't necessarily need picks lol

Definitely not interested in trading Gasol. I don't mind seeing what Norm, SJ, McCaw, and a pick fetch us.

Edit: a word
                        I'm sure SJ will have another chance to show what he can bring to the dance, but his window of opportunity is narrowing. With OG starting at small forward and Lowry back, he will be competing for PT with Norm, RHJ and to some degree Davis II.

Comment

• Zak24gege wrote: View Post

I'm sure SJ will have another chance to show what he can bring to the dance, but his window of opportunity is narrowing. With OG starting at small forward and Lowry back, he will be competing for PT with Norm, RHJ and to some degree Davis II.
                          I don't think Stanley is going to see another meaningful minute outside of garbage time. TD, RHJ and Norm is going to be too much for him to overcome. He's this year JLin. gonna be in China while the rest of the team collect their rings next October.
                          To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                            The problem is, those young rotation guys are hungry for minutes which they won't get once Serge and Kyle are back. That could lead to issues down the line.
                            Winning fixes everything.

I bet the guys down the line know that the older guys are going to be getting fewer minutes, and they have just experienced having 4-5 players out because of injuries. They can be 100% sure that they will get playing time and have opportunities to shine in big games.

They also are probably reading the media hype of BM 2.0. And seeing the praise and admiration for the all sharing, full effort type game that is winning for them. You tend to continue providing what is getting you praise and positive reinforcement. Judging by the descriptions, the reported comments during interviews and the video at press scrums, these guys are all solid types. I think there is zero chance of any issues appearing.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                              The problem is, those young rotation guys are hungry for minutes which they won't get once Serge and Kyle are back. That could lead to issues down the line.
                              One potential "problem" with Kyle & Serge coming back is that the defensive intensity could slip. Veterans with rings aren't going to be putting out the same type of energy and effort in December, like young guys trying to prove themselves. Lowry, in particular, was saving his energy for offense earlier in the year and allowing the opposition into their sets with very little resistance at the point of attack. Hopefully, they've been watching closely and understand the identity of this team is defense first, even in the regular season.

Comment

• https://forums.raptorsrepublic.com/f...erozan/page593

See post #23701.

Comment

Working...
                                X