Everything Marc Gasol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
    So the real question here is who starts? Serge has been playing so well as a starter its hard to justify taking him out of the lineup. I dunno if marc and serge should start together, and will marc be able to accept a bench role. Will be looking to what nick decides to do
    gasol isn't coming off the bench

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
      holy shit Marc Gasol is Kyle Lowry but centre lol
      Masai: "Who really drives wins on this team?"

Bobby: "Kawhi's our best player but maybe Lowry. He wins with/without Kawhi."

Masai: "Great, let's get another one. Only bigger."

Bobby: "So you can see on this map where I've drawn the parade route"
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
        gasol isn't coming off the bench
        so serge coming out? dont really like that id thats the case. dudes been killing it
        To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          JV had a decent chance to opt in and is still young/underutilized enough to grow more. Could have been a piece in a trade for a younger player whose window is more likely to align with Kawhi's. And if you don't think he could have been a difference maker in the playoffs given his track record, and in a GSW matchup against Cousins, then I don't know what to tell you.

We controlled Wright's contract as he would be a RFA, giving us the choice. He was playing well for us and providing solid D and playmaking. We just lost perimeter playmaking but gained post playmaking. Delon was very good for us last year in the playoffs, the only season he got meaningful postseason minutes.

CJ was always expendable, so yeah he's not an asset.

Gasol will be a 35 year old slow footed C making 25 million next year. We will not have an easy time getting value for him, not even the value we gave up for him. Does he make us significantly better this year? If he doesn't it only makes it harder to improve for the future.

We gave up our strongest interior player and only guy other than Kawhi who doesn't shy away from physicality for an old finesse big who has looked to be declining the last couple of years. I don't know where this "Gasol proven playoff performer" talk comes from. His career playoff numbers are pretty underwhelming. He's had good and bad years, so who knows what we'll get?

I think the ceiling for this team before this trade was a Finals appearance with a slim chance at a ring. I think that is still our ceiling after the trade, and we're basically hoping to get lucky and Gasol plays at his highest level as a "last hurrah" kind of run. Could be just as likely he has issues being effective and is a dud.

Here's an article on his play this season and a snippet I am copying. There are reasons for concern:
          https://www.grizzlybearblues.com/201...phis-grizzlies

"The drop off is shocking.

Over the span of October and November, 21 total games, Marc Gasol averaged 48% shooting total from the floor, 41.6% conversions of his three point shot attempts, and 18 points a game. He did all of this while posting dominant defensive statistics, including an impressive 103 defensive rating over the month of November. He even averaged a double double over that 15 game stretch - 19.5 points, 10.2 rebounds, and a +12 net rating (115 offensive rating, 103 defensive rating). He was dominant...a very outside shot MVP candidate.

Now?

Over the last 19 games of the season, also known as December and January, Marc has shot 37.7% from the floor, 27.5% from three, which has been good for 12.3 points per game. In fact, the only area where his numbers are really up are his assists (5.1 per game compared to 4 per game in October and November) and free throw percentage. While that improvement is relatively drastic - 72.8% October/November, 86.2% December/January - the drop off in attempts cancels that out as well. Gasol has taken only 2.68 free throws per game over the last 19 contests compared to 4.9 attempts over the previous 21. He simply isn’t as aggressive offensively.

Defensively he is a step slow and his impact on that end has gone from remarkably dominant to unbelievably bad. He looks like he can no longer move laterally - he is either unwilling or unable to step out on open shooters on switches and over screens, and when the defense collapses rotations are a step slow as well and far too many easy dunks are had at the rim for Grizzlies opponents. Opposing squads shot 45.6% from the field in six October games against the Grizzlies and a worse 44.7% in November. So far in January teams playing the Grizzlies are shooting 48.4%.

That is unacceptable."

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
          I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I disagree that the only championship defines success for this trade. I disagree that JV at 20 mpg was influential, or that he was going to get more minutes in the playoffs outside an Embid matchup. Mostly I disagree that his production could offset what he gives up 1 on 1 or in the scheme.

I agree the overwhelming odds are on Gasol being washed. And your entire final paragraph thought.

Comment

Doesn't move the needle short term, asset loss long term. I don't see how this affects playoff picture, hoping he's going to play his heart out though, but I've seen him live vs Utah and Lakers... If you think JV was slow, wait for slow 2.0. Happy for the JV though, he will actually reach his potential in a historically good program for bigs.
            Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
              Masai: "Who really drives wins on this team?"

Bobby: "Kawhi's our best player but maybe Lowry. He wins with/without Kawhi."

Masai: "Great, let's get another one. Only bigger."

Bobby: "So you can see on this map where I've drawn the parade route"
              The reality is that Lowry isn't the prime driver of wins anymore for the advanced stats crowd. He's dropped off from his normally team leading impact stats (such as Wins added, by PIPM). Believe it or not Green and Siakam have comparable PIPM and more wins added than Lowry. Kawhi is a close 4th.

Comment

JV had a decent chance to opt in and is still young/underutilized enough to grow more. Could have been a piece in a trade for a younger player whose window is more likely to align with Kawhi's. And if you don't think he could have been a difference maker in the playoffs given his track record, and in a GSW matchup against Cousins, then I don't know what to tell you.

We controlled Wright's contract as he would be a RFA, giving us the choice. He was playing well for us and providing solid D and playmaking. We just lost perimeter playmaking but gained post playmaking. Delon was very good for us last year in the playoffs, the only season he got meaningful postseason minutes.

CJ was always expendable, so yeah he's not an asset.

Gasol will be a 35 year old slow footed C making 25 million next year. We will not have an easy time getting value for him, not even the value we gave up for him. Does he make us significantly better this year? If he doesn't it only makes it harder to improve for the future.

We gave up our strongest interior player and only guy other than Kawhi who doesn't shy away from physicality for an old finesse big who has looked to be declining the last couple of years. I don't know where this "Gasol proven playoff performer" talk comes from. His career playoff numbers are pretty underwhelming. He's had good and bad years, so who knows what we'll get?

I think the ceiling for this team before this trade was a Finals appearance with a slim chance at a ring. I think that is still our ceiling after the trade, and we're basically hoping to get lucky and Gasol plays at his highest level as a "last hurrah" kind of run. Could be just as likely he has issues being effective and is a dud.

Here's an article on his play this season and a snippet I am copying. There are reasons for concern:
                https://www.grizzlybearblues.com/201...phis-grizzlies

"The drop off is shocking.

Over the span of October and November, 21 total games, Marc Gasol averaged 48% shooting total from the floor, 41.6% conversions of his three point shot attempts, and 18 points a game. He did all of this while posting dominant defensive statistics, including an impressive 103 defensive rating over the month of November. He even averaged a double double over that 15 game stretch - 19.5 points, 10.2 rebounds, and a +12 net rating (115 offensive rating, 103 defensive rating). He was dominant...a very outside shot MVP candidate.

Now?

Over the last 19 games of the season, also known as December and January, Marc has shot 37.7% from the floor, 27.5% from three, which has been good for 12.3 points per game. In fact, the only area where his numbers are really up are his assists (5.1 per game compared to 4 per game in October and November) and free throw percentage. While that improvement is relatively drastic - 72.8% October/November, 86.2% December/January - the drop off in attempts cancels that out as well. Gasol has taken only 2.68 free throws per game over the last 19 contests compared to 4.9 attempts over the previous 21. He simply isn’t as aggressive offensively.

Defensively he is a step slow and his impact on that end has gone from remarkably dominant to unbelievably bad. He looks like he can no longer move laterally - he is either unwilling or unable to step out on open shooters on switches and over screens, and when the defense collapses rotations are a step slow as well and far too many easy dunks are had at the rim for Grizzlies opponents. Opposing squads shot 45.6% from the field in six October games against the Grizzlies and a worse 44.7% in November. So far in January teams playing the Grizzlies are shooting 48.4%.

That is unacceptable."

Can only hope that as the season wore on he was becoming disengaged. Either that or there is an injury he can recover from with "load management." In fact that is what the referenced article, titled "The Broken and Bent Marc Gasol."

That kind of a drop off sure isn't what those who like the trade have been pointing at. Hopefully he can rest and recover.

Comment

I am very unsure about how to feel about this trade. The ibaka at C experiment was working really well and now i guess he goes to the bench. Not the end of the world i guess but can marc replicate ibaka's effectiveness on both ends of the floor with the starting unit? Are we gonna have to slow the game down to a crawl in order to accomodate an aging slow footed C? If so, will that affect pascal's game? I really like the idea of adding Gasol's IQ, passing and 3pt shooting to the team though. He can be a difference maker if Nurse, Lowry and Kawhi can figure out how to best work together with Gasol. I'm also not sure how i feel about wright leaving either. Seemed inevitable that one of delon or fred would go in any big trade, but i think i would have preferred to keep delon. I think there is at least a sliver of potential still there, but fred i think may be as good as he's gonna be. And delon had great length for his position. I just really hope that Gasol comes in re-energized to play for a contender and csn get enough out of his aging body to be an impact player. Because we were getting a hell of alot out of Ibaka and JV at the C position this year, and now JV's gone and Ibaka is demoted to the bench. There is more risk with this move than i am comfortable with, so hopefully Gasol can lay my fears to rest within a few games. Also, welcome to the North Marc Gasol!

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                    Can only hope that as the season wore on he was becoming disengaged. Either that or there is an injury he can recover from with "load management." In fact that is what the referenced article, titled "The Broken and Bent Marc Gasol."

That kind of a drop off sure isn't what those who like the trade have been pointing at. Hopefully he can rest and recover.
                    The article does point to physical wear, specifically a hurting ankle. But yeah, basically at his age there is no real margin for error. If he's not close to 100%, he could be a big drag instead of a big boost. Apparently he has also battled a hernia, which is maybe more worrisome.

Comment

Look no further than Danny Green for an example of a player who looked all but out the door last year, only to be completely revitalized here in Toronto.

I have the utmost faith in Masai.

Welcome to TO Big Burrito!!

Comment

Let's not forget that he is 34... but a young 34!!

Comment

The article does point to physical wear, specifically a hurting ankle. But yeah, basically at his age there is no real margin for error. If he's not close to 100%, he could be a big drag instead of a big boost. Apparently he has also battled a hernia, which is maybe more worrisome.

Since a stinker in Boston when he could barely run and resting his first game of the season (in Toronto), Gasol has gone:

- 22/8/6;
                          - 22/17/10;
                          - 11/10/1;
                          - 18/7/4
                          - 28/9/3
                          - 19/7/4
                          - 8/6/5
                          - 24/9/5

Gasol is fine. People are seeing ghosts. I am just stunned by the negativity around this trade.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                            Since a stinker in Boston when he could barely run and resting his first game of the season (in Toronto), Gasol has gone:

- 22/8/6;
                            - 22/17/10;
                            - 11/10/1;
                            - 18/7/4
                            - 28/9/3
                            - 19/7/4
                            - 8/6/5
                            - 24/9/5

Gasol is fine. People are seeing ghosts. I am just stunned by the negativity around this trade.
                            Those assists are what really get me. His playmaking will be huge for us. Could especially see Siakam being a huge beneficiary of this.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post

- 22/8/6;
                              - 22/17/10;
                              - 11/10/1;
                              - 18/7/4
                              - 28/9/3
                              - 19/7/4
                              - 8/6/5
                              - 24/9/5

Seeing ghosts? I posted an article from a website that covers the Grizzlies. So are the people who have watched him shitloads more than either of us seeing ghosts? They definitely go deeper than your amateur hour basic number analysis over a few games.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
                                Those assists are what really get me. His playmaking will be huge for us. Could especially see Siakam being a huge beneficiary of this.

Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Working...
                                X