Everything Marc Gasol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joey wrote: View Post
    So according to my 2K myLeague, Gasol will go for 26 and 14 in his first game with us. Bookmark that.
    Bookmarked.
    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Great article on the ringer. 4 team arms race. All of us, all in. Lets go.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/2...ers-east-elite
      The race is on in the East. Of the top five teams with the best Vegas odds of making the Finals, four (Raptors, Celtics, Sixers, Bucks) are Eastern squads; of those four, only the Celtics managed to not make a move before the trade deadline. The 76ers added Tobias Harris and dumped Markelle Fultz in separate deals, while the Raptors traded for Marc Gasol and the Bucks grabbed Nikola Mirotic. The thought process behind all those moves was the same: The margin for error in the playoffs is razor thin, and the consequences for coming up short could be devastating. Now that the dust has settled after the deadline, these rosters could be as good as it gets for all four teams. None of them have control over their own future. All four could see their best chance of contending for a title walk out the door this summer.

The last two rounds of the Eastern Conference playoffs will be a bloodbath. The stakes are incredibly high. None of the four favorites out East are particularly old. All four are built around players in their prime, and they all have a core of young talent that should only improve with time. None of that matters, though, if some of their best players leave this summer. The NBA is a players’ league. You need superstars to win, and superstars always have the leverage. It doesn’t matter how smart a team is. Their fate is out of their hands. There’s no way to reach for the top without also setting yourself up for a big fall.
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
        Great article on the ringer. 4 team arms race. All of us, all in. Lets go.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/2...ers-east-elite
        And two of those fanbases are going to be incredibly pissed off when they lose in the second round....it’s going to be a wild ride hahaha
        The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• I wonder how Kawhi feels about the move. Let's conjecture.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
            I wonder how Kawhi feels about the move. Let's conjecture.
            The optimist in me says he's feeling good because Marc is a former DPOY and still pretty damn good.

The pessimist in me remembers that there were rumours he didn't like it when the Spurs gave that massive overpay to Pau, and this may result in disdain by association (only competitively, because Marc is getting old too, not personally).

The good thing is, winning cures all ills. If we make a deep run and end up in the Finals I think that that plus the extra guaranteed dough plus Masai's obvious willingness to build a contender = Kawhi re-signing.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
              He's an old man that can't turn his head and loses feeling in his hand now. Different player.
              last 10 games

19.0/9.1reb/4.8ast on 49 FG
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
                I wonder how Kawhi feels about the move. Let's conjecture.
                In my opinion 100% they asked Kawhi his opinion before pulling the trigger.

Comment

• This is a big gamble, and I can't really support it. JV is a better player in every measurable way except two, assists and 3pt field foals made. Unless these two take the offense to some historic new height which compensates for literally everything else, we lose more games with Gasol than with JV at the end of the day.

One key factor will be his mobility a defensive IQ, if he can overcome age and injury and give us a flashback of his DPOY days, then this could work out, but I don't really have any reason to believe that is remotely possible. The IQ will be there, for sure,but the body, probably not.

I can't help but look at this as preparing for a 2020 rebuild, and basically riding the Kahwi-Lowry train for this season, using JVs value to wiggle out of CJs and Delons contracts, and getting a big name expiring contract to float next year. This is not a win-now move. JV wins more than Gasol today.

Comment

• The non-basketball side of Marc Gasol. A very fine person.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...phis-grizzlies

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
                      Reading though a lot of posts here makes me wanna be "Superjudge" circa 2010 again.

The comments here speak volumes about the actual Basketball knowledge people have. Forget the bullshit they learn through youtube analysis, it makes me want to puke. Learn the fucking game by playing it, with real players, real coaches and REAL opponents.

Marc Gasol is a Golden God compared to Jonas, and I love Jonas. There is so much going on out there, and there are guys that just get it, and guys who don't. Earlier this year I remember watching Toronto play Memphis...every time Gasol had the ball I wanted to puke because he made something happen.....sometimes very small or subtle, but this guy was always thinking, always balling.

You got guys here bitcing about "long term" this, contracts that....ST actual FU. What the fuck do you care about money spent or windows or long terms.... you think this ride lasts a decade? The Raps tried and fucking failed with what the had the last 5 years...every year they failed, badly. So it's time to shit of get off the pot, and that is EXACTLY what you are seeing right now, only the moves Masai has made have left a small trap door should KL decide to stay in Toronto...which he won't.

We all liked JV, the media feeds us Open Gym bullshit about how nice these guys all are on purpose so we will love them win or lose...it's calculated guys, andif yo don't know that, you need to brush up on how marketing works in 2019. Jonas is a Basketball player, an interchangeable part. He wa sused to get a much better part, jut like Derozan, who we all oved as a nice guy was.

Fuck those guys.
                      They weren't good enough.
                      So you have to try to improve.

The Raptors are a better team right now then they were 12 hours ago. A few moves later they will be even better.

Live in the now, you could get dick cancer tomorrow and you won't see next season. Stop pretending you have a horse in this race past this borderline addiction of a messageboard, and beers at St. Louis with your nerd buddies.

....... gah, you guys make me so mad.

Somebody needs a super-hug

Comment

• Quirk wrote: View Post
                        This is a big gamble, and I can't really support it. JV is a better player in every measurable way except two, assists and 3pt field foals made. Unless these two take the offense to some historic new height which compensates for literally everything else, we lose more games with Gasol than with JV at the end of the day.
                        I don't think you can compare Gasol and JV just with box score analysis. JV is a really efficient/productive PTS and REB getter, so he looks great there. In almost every other way, including various advanced stats, Gasol has JV beat. Nearly everyone in the NBA outside of Toronto would argue that on intangibles like IQ/leadership/impact, Gasol is miles ahead of JV.

That's the hope here, that Gasol is going to impact winning in ways that don't show up in box score columns. I mean for all JV's hyper efficiency (and as much as I love him), his role has been diminishing under two different coaches in spite of his general improvements, productivity, and great mentality. The game is changing around big men and a team has a harder and harder time making good use of a skill set like JV's. With the passing, IQ, defensive awareness, and outside shot, Gasol definitely brings some versatility that JV just doesn't have.

A pretty big question though is how this creates overlap with Ibaka and Siakam. Toronto's success year to date had been though playing bigs almost as little as possible and playing tons of wings with size. This is how JV found himself on the bench in the first place. Now you've basically got 3 starter quality bigs and you'll only want to play 2 of them at a time and often only 1. Nurse is going to have to avoid losing potential to redundancy.
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                          I don't think you can compare Gasol and JV just with box score analysis. JV is a really efficient/productive PTS and REB getter, so he looks great there. In almost every other way, including various advanced stats, Gasol has JV beat. Nearly everyone in the NBA outside of Toronto would argue that on intangibles like IQ/leadership/impact, Gasol is miles ahead of JV.

That's the hope here, that Gasol is going to impact winning in ways that don't show up in box score columns. I mean for all JV's hyper efficiency (and as much as I love him), his role has been diminishing under two different coaches in spite of his general improvements, productivity, and great mentality. The game is changing around big men and a team has a harder and harder time making good use of a skill set like JV's. With the passing, IQ, defensive awareness, and outside shot, Gasol definitely brings some versatility that JV just doesn't have.

A pretty big question though is how this creates overlap with Ibaka and Siakam. Toronto's success year to date had been though playing bigs almost as little as possible and playing tons of wings with size. This is how JV found himself on the bench in the first place. Now you've basically got 3 starter quality bigs and you'll only want to play 2 of them at a time and often only 1. Nurse is going to have to avoid losing potential to redundancy.
                          With both PGs (Lowry and FVV) posing very little threat to score at the rim, opposing defenses are collapsing on everybody else and giving up the Serge pick & pop, or 3-pter. Gasol excels at that - JV doesn't. The bigger problem is that both JV and Serge are huuuge black holes on offense, and the players all stop moving, or get in position for a rebound as soon as they get the ball. It's pretty evident now that Nurse's free flowing offense requires very high IQ players who have the ability to make on-the-fly decisions whether to shoot, pass or dribble. JV and Serge suck at that, whereas Gasol is still the best passing center in the game. That's going to keep everybody moving while the defense collapses on him. Biggest question is if 20 something games are really enough to develop that passing chemistry.

Comment

• Wait what? Gasol is in town?

“It’s a big day for us and a tough day for us, too,” Ujiri said late Thursday night, shortly before meeting with Gasol at the Raptors practice facility.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                              Wait what? Gasol is in town?

“It’s a big day for us and a tough day for us, too,” Ujiri said late Thursday night, shortly before meeting with Gasol at the Raptors practice facility.
                              Sweet. See ya in New York, Marc
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                                Sweet. See ya in New York, Marc
                                Works out nice. We can get a 5-on-5 practice in at MSG before coming home to play the Nets.

Comment

Working...
                                X