Everything Marc Gasol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post
    Yeah Gasol can handle those guys.. maybe even better than JV. But the point was that Ibaka would play in most match ups where teams do go small. JV was insurance when teams go big. Gasol can do the pick and pop or pass.. We have more options on offense with him. But JV was way more efficient and a better rim protector.

The trade wasn't just Gasol for JV though. It was Gasol for JV, Delon and CJ. Now imagine we didn't get Lin? Imagine Fred is out for more than 3 weeks? Imagine if Lowry is hurt for the playoffs? Imagine if CJ's 3pt shooting is rounding back to form. I think he shot 47% from 3 since Jan 1.

We gave all that away for this trade. Is it significantly better? Maybe, but it's not a homerun in my view.

Even if we couldn't get Mirotic or another shooter, or scorer.. JV+Delon+CJ might have been better than Gasol (if we couldn't get Lin).

Lin is what evens out the trade for me. Maybe Masai knew Lin was going to be available so that's why he pulled the trigger. Or he might have gotten lucky. Hope it was the former here.

Charlotte's deal apparently fell through because Memphis didn't like the pick protection. Thought it was too high. But they were first in line. That trade almost happened. The apparent return for Gasol from Charlotte was Bismack+MKG+FRP (protected).
    JV+Delon+CJ is not better than a healthy Marc Gasol. It's all about the playoffs and we have a better shot at going further in the playoffs today than before the trade.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
      He's been playing 33.7 minutes a game. And apparently he played on his ankle while it was still sore. He should see his minutes come down a bit with the Raptors, at least for regular season games. His health should consequently improve.
      That's right. The positive here is the Raptors (and probably Gasol himself) will probably take a somewhat different approach to his load compared to his time in Memphis. The impression I get is the Grizzlies played a grinding, "ride-them to the ground" style of play with their guys. There wasn't a whole lot of "minutes management" going on there, especially when Conley/Gasol were younger. They really rode their guys to the ground. Here on the other hand we have a top-notch sports science team that hopefully can maximize Gasol's potential while also minimizing his injury risk.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
        Yeah Gasol can handle those guys.. maybe even better than JV. But the point was that Ibaka would play in most match ups where teams do go small. JV was insurance when teams go big. Gasol can do the pick and pop or pass.. We have more options on offense with him. But JV was way more efficient and a better rim protector.

The trade wasn't just Gasol for JV though. It was Gasol for JV, Delon and CJ. Now imagine we didn't get Lin? Imagine Fred is out for more than 3 weeks? Imagine if Lowry is hurt for the playoffs? Imagine if CJ's 3pt shooting is rounding back to form. I think he shot 47% from 3 since Jan 1.

We gave all that away for this trade. Is it significantly better? Maybe, but it's not a homerun in my view.

Even if we couldn't get Mirotic or another shooter, or scorer.. JV+Delon+CJ might have been better than Gasol (if we couldn't get Lin).

Lin is what evens out the trade for me. Maybe Masai knew Lin was going to be available so that's why he pulled the trigger. Or he might have gotten lucky. Hope it was the former here.

Charlotte's deal apparently fell through because Memphis didn't like the pick protection. Thought it was too high. But they were first in line. That trade almost happened. The apparent return for Gasol from Charlotte was Bismack+MKG+FRP (protected).
        Before you go too John Lennon, that's just not a good way to look at it. We DID get Lin. We don't know the extents of Freds injury. If Lowry is hurt for the playoffs we're screwed either way. And even if CJ improved a little bit he'd still likely be on the outside looking in when it matters.

Marc Gasol gives us a new elevation in our top 3 or 4 guys. The better your top 4 is, the better your playoffs chances.
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
          ...Marc Gasol gives us a new elevation in our top 3 or 4 guys. The better your top 4 is, the better your playoffs chances.

Bing!

Bang!

Boom!

Gasol isn't simply better at some things than JV, he elevates those around him with smart positioning, smart screens, better passes and greater gravity. Very few double teams will occur without a defense being made to pay. And open shots are going to get more frequent because of his play.

Comment

• There is definitely potential for the team to be far better with Gasol, if they use him correctly.

Unfortunately, it will always be hard to compare to the team with JV, as that team would also have been much better had they used JV correctly.

Still, the team is far more likely to use Gasol correctly than JV, and for that reason alone there should be plenty of optimism that this deal works out.

And as for the Kawhi pitch, Gasol is a better piece for that. The sales pitch was always going to be depth for one year, then trying to add a top FA to play with Kawhi. Gasol next season may be worse than JV would have been, but assuming he's good enough this year for the Raptors to win enough to have a chance at re-signing Kawhi, there's no reason to think he'd be a negative in Kawhi's view for that one year where he would matter.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Kawhi looks up to Kobe. Maybe he will think Marc is his Pau?

Lowry = DFish
              Green = Ariza
              Siakam = Odom

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                Kawhi looks up to Kobe. Maybe he will think Marc is his Pau?

Lowry = DFish
                Green = Ariza
                Siakam = Odom
                Kawhi wasn’t a Kobe fan he was an Iverson fan

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
                  Kawhi wasn’t a Kobe fan he was an Iverson fan
                  Oh. Well he plays like sort of like Kobe so let's go with that angle then.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                    Kawhi looks up to Kobe. Maybe he will think Marc is his Pau?

Lowry = DFish
                    Green = Ariza
                    Siakam = Odom
                    Equating Lowry to Fisher should earn a smiting from the basketball gods

Comment

• Kawhi staying or going, I'd still like to see a major offensive piece somehow added for next season.

For now, Kawhi is #1 option
                      Gasol becomes #2 to take pressure off Kawhi
                      Dare I say, Pascal is a pretty good #3 option
                      That moves Lowry down to #4, lower than he's ever been as a Raptor in recent years
                      Green as the number 5 option is crazy good.

Serge, Lin, OG, Norm, Boucher, McCaw on the bench? FVV coming back? Love it.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                        Equating Lowry to Fisher should earn a smiting from the basketball gods
                        For sure.... Fisher won championships and was clutch. *ducks*

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                          And fucked matt barnes wife

And got beat up by matt barnes in his old houses backyard

*ducks*
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                            And fucked matt barnes wife

And got beat up by matt barnes in his old houses backyard
                            Such an underrated NBA story
                            "Stop eating your sushi."
                            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                              Easy to be clutch when you've got Kobe, Shaq, and Pau getting all the attention.

In fact, I am willing to bet that if he stays healthy, this will be Kyle's best playoffs ever now that we have Kawhi and Marc.

Comment

• Gasol looked even more impressive in his second game. He deserves to start and he will i hope after the all star break. However, i don't think the so called problems of the starting unit is on serge. Serge has been awesome this season, as consistent as anyone not named danny green, and has filled his role admirably. After last seasons showing, i look at serge as being a revelation. No way i expected him to be nearly as good as he has been. He is clearly suited as a C, and should be playing there for 99% of his minutes. Nonetheless, we have a better option and so gasol should start. But the gasol/ibaka C combo is much better than the Ibaka/JV combo. And this coming from someone that had concerns about the trade and is a huge fan of JV.

Comment

Working...
                                X