Everything Marc Gasol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.R. wrote: View Post
    I just hope we didn't trade 3 guys just to use Marc Gasol in a Marcin Gortat role.

If Nurse just wanted to give a big a few minutes off the bench and the ball a couple times a game, Masai could have given him that for much cheaper.

Already had 2 on the team, actually.
    It’s still early in the “Gasol era” so I’m cutting Nurse some slack here, but I definitely thing Gasol will be given a bigger role and soon.

Comment

• BadDinosaur wrote: View Post
      So you're saying Raptors are a better team than Grizz? Never figured...

So what is the interesting observation from looking at their individual stats?

Comment

• Stats aside I see a future in JV. Maybe a top five C over the next 4 years. Im curious to see how it works with Gasol though

Comment

So you're saying Raptors are a better team than Grizz? Never figured...
          My point was what Marc's brother Pau said about him.He wants to win games and that is the only stat that is important to him.JV is young and is playing for his next contract.

Comment

• Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post
            Stats aside I see a future in JV. Maybe a top five C over the next 4 years. Im curious to see how it works with Gasol though
            A top 5 centre? Im going to say highly unlikely unless he adds a 3 pt shot, takes a big leap in basketball IQ, and becomes less of a liability in transition defence. That’s a tall order. It’s also going to require that Memphis commits to a style of basketball that has become obsolete in modern NBA. They would have to give him so many touches that teams start doubling him. I guess Memphis is the place that could happen

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
              So what is the interesting observation from looking at their individual stats?
              Well, not much, at least so far.
              It's just that their roles have inversed (going from bench player to 1b option in JV's case and the inverse in Gasol's case).

Gasol is averaging 8.6 ppg and 6.5 rbs in JV's role playing 19 mpg (JV averaged 13 and 8 in that role on raps).
              JV is averaging 20 and 9 playing in 24 mpg for Grizz (Gasol averaged 15.2 ppg and 8.4rpg in 32.7 mpg on Grizz).

So on individual level, one can say that JV is the more productive player either way and both maintain the same efficiency level they previously had despite the change of role on their teams.
              When it comes to their respective impact on team level... remains to be seen and will need lots if time for somewhat clear evaluation.

Comment

• Gonzz wrote: View Post
                My point was what Marc's brother Pau said about him.He wants to win games and that is the only stat that is important to him.JV is young and is playing for his next contract.
                I think you can debate many things about JV but not his "wanting" to win, his loyalty and things like contracts. You'll never hear one story about JV wanting to get paid, but you'll get thousands of stories of him wanting to win and making all the sacrifices for the team, including this year coming off the bench without any arguing or bitching about it.

Comment

• I think the big thing in the transitions of both players on their new teams is the existing style of play of each team.

JV walks into a play book that is already Centre centric. They had Gasol there for years and he is essentially stepping in to that role, where all the surrounding players know what to do in that play just substituting JV for Gasol. That is obviously the easier way to go.

Gasol is now carving out a role where the Centre is now a play maker. So not only is he trying to do that, all the other players around him are trying to adapt as well. That won't happen over night, but you are already starting to see flashes of it. Who would of thought that McCaw would score 13 points in one game on this team?

Comment

I think you can debate many things about JV but not his "wanting" to win, his loyalty and things like contracts. You'll never hear one story about JV wanting to get paid, but you'll get thousands of stories of him wanting to win and making all the sacrifices for the team, including this year coming off the bench without any arguing or bitching about it.
                    JV always played to win in Toronto. His situation has changed in Memphis.Winning is secondary to teaching the big that is being groomed to take your job.How he plays toclose out the year will influence his decision to accept the final year of his contract.He has a player option this year.

Comment

JV always played to win in Toronto. His situation has changed in Memphis.Winning is secondary to teaching the big that is being groomed to take your job.How he plays toclose out the year will influence his decision to accept the final year of his contract.He has a player option this year.
                      I agree that him being in Memphis right now, he might look to either get paid this summer or he'll try to join a team that has a chance to go to the Finals. I think the latter would be the option that JV would prefer, but if there are no interesting possibilities for him to join a contender, he should look to get paid some place he'd like to stay with his family and would get plenty of PT.

Comment

In 4 games with Gasol Toronto is 4-0. Memphis is 0-4 since the trade. JV is now starting. Personal stats are not as important as team results at the stage.
                        So, if the trade was never made Memphis would be 4-0 and Toronto would be 0-4.

Comment

• This is a fun weird thought :

What if JV opts out this summer and becomes a free agent?
                          What if Raps fail in playoffs and Kawhi bolts in the summer and Masai deals Gasol someplace.
                          Would you think JV would be interested to sign with the Raps again? Would Masai dare doing something like that after trading him?
                          I guess JV with his personality is more likely to sign with Raps than Masai wanting to sign him back, that would be weird as hell. Even if JV became a superstar over 1 season, I'm not sure Masai would have the balls to sign a player that he traded for another player 6 months earlier, even if JV declared publicly he wants to join the raptors.

Comment

Well, not much, at least so far.
                            It's just that their roles have inversed (going from bench player to 1b option in JV's case and the inverse in Gasol's case).

Gasol is averaging 8.6 ppg and 6.5 rbs in JV's role playing 19 mpg (JV averaged 13 and 8 in that role on raps).
                            JV is averaging 20 and 9 playing in 24 mpg for Grizz (Gasol averaged 15.2 ppg and 8.4rpg in 32.7 mpg on Grizz).

So on individual level, one can say that JV is the more productive player either way and both maintain the same efficiency level they previously had despite the change of role on their teams.
                            When it comes to their respective impact on team level... remains to be seen and will need lots if time for somewhat clear evaluation.
                            Unless you measure wins.

Comment

• I thought Marc had a poor shooting night against the Magic. But he was 7 for 13. Which included a 3. All of the ones he missed must have been bunnies. At least that's what it looked like. But he only had a TS% of 50% last year. By comparison JV had a TS% of 59%. So they are not that different.

I don't think we are seeing the top end of Marc's ability to get the ball to his teammates. I think a function of that may be that they aren't running a lot of set plays yet. Hopefully Nurse continues to work Gasol and his higher end ability to operate with the other guys on the floor into their play.

Comment

This is a fun weird thought :

What if JV opts out this summer and becomes a free agent?
                                What if Raps fail in playoffs and Kawhi bolts in the summer and Masai deals Gasol someplace.
                                Would you think JV would be interested to sign with the Raps again? Would Masai dare doing something like that after trading him?
                                I guess JV with his personality is more likely to sign with Raps than Masai wanting to sign him back, that would be weird as hell. Even if JV became a superstar over 1 season, I'm not sure Masai would have the balls to sign a player that he traded for another player 6 months earlier, even if JV declared publicly he wants to join the raptors.
                                I can't see him opting out as I don't think he will get that kind of money as a free agent. The JV type of center is dying in this league. He still has a role, and I think he did his job in Toronto just fine. Masai needed a matching salary to get Gasol and JV was it. I think JV is a really solid addition to a team at about half the cap hit.

Comment

Working...
                                X