Everything Marc Gasol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puffer wrote: View Post
    I thought Marc had a poor shooting night against the Magic. But he was 7 for 13. Which included a 3. All of the ones he missed must have been bunnies. At least that's what it looked like. But he only had a TS% of 50% last year. By comparison JV had a TS% of 59%. So they are not that different.

I don't think we are seeing the top end of Marc's ability to get the ball to his teammates. I think a function of that may be that they aren't running a lot of set plays yet. Hopefully Nurse continues to work Gasol and his higher end ability to operate with the other guys on the floor into their play.
    Unfortunately, the gap between JV and Gasol's inidividual scoring is big. JV has been consistently around .630-.640 TS% for the last 2 years. Gasol has been around .530-540 TS%. That's a huge difference. If nothing else, JV was an elite efficient scorer who could get his own buckets. Consistently. With how disjointed the offense looks, a guy like JV would seem to fit much better than Gasol who needs time to develop passing chemistry with guys who can't shoot or finish. Confusion seems to be the word that's being used a lot to describe this year's team.

We saw Gasol's weaknesses exposed yesterday. Not being able to finish near the rim or very short mid-range, and getting beat on the boards. Those 2 things are, ironically, JV's biggest strengths. We took for granted those easy, efficient buckets that JV was getting, which completely change the dynamic of games, subsitution patterns, etc.... Instead of playing with a comfortable lead and getting a set rotation, we're playing from behind or in tight games, with Nurse scrambling to find better combinations and in-game strategies. Expect to see a lot more of Gasol missing bunnies and getting blocked at the rim.

Comment

• 5 games in

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
        Unfortunately, the gap between JV and Gasol's inidividual scoring is big. JV has been consistently around .630-.640 TS% for the last 2 years. Gasol has been around .530-540 TS%. That's a huge difference. If nothing else, JV was an elite efficient scorer who could get his own buckets. Consistently. With how disjointed the offense looks, a guy like JV would seem to fit much better than Gasol who needs time to develop passing chemistry with guys who can't shoot or finish. Confusion seems to be the word that's being used a lot to describe this year's team.

We saw Gasol's weaknesses exposed yesterday. Not being able to finish near the rim or very short mid-range, and getting beat on the boards. Those 2 things are, ironically, JV's biggest strengths. We took for granted those easy, efficient buckets that JV was getting, which completely change the dynamic of games, subsitution patterns, etc.... Instead of playing with a comfortable lead and getting a set rotation, we're playing from behind or in tight games, with Nurse scrambling to find better combinations and in-game strategies. Expect to see a lot more of Gasol missing bunnies and getting blocked at the rim.
        To be fair, JV missed a lot of bunnies too.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
          To be fair, JV missed a lot of bunnies too.
          lol, true. Bunnies for JV, anyway. And there was one especially king-sized bunny we can never forget.

But still, Gasol misses more bunnies. We got used to JV being automatic around the basket. It's weird how the ball bounces around the rim like 10 times and usually drops in softly for JV when he shot puts it awkwardly from about 6-8 ft.

I'm hopeful for Gasol. Danny Green was interviewed and he said it's going to take Marc and Lin about 3-4 weeks of games to get comfortable with the offense, so we've still got some time. We're only 1 week in.

Comment

• One thing that bothered me last night was Marc Gasol struggled with the pick and roll as much as Jonas used to. There was multiple times he left Vucevic wide open. If were not getting any better pick and roll defense with Gasol than Jv then their defensive impact is pretty negligible, JV was always top of the league for defending opponents fg% percentage at the rim.

Comment

• yeah marc is looking sloooow in p n r..worse than JV. Really hoping this is just integration to a foreign surrounding
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

lol, true. Bunnies for JV, anyway. And there was one especially king-sized bunny we can never forget.

But still, Gasol misses more bunnies. We got used to JV being automatic around the basket. It's weird how the ball bounces around the rim like 10 times and usually drops in softly for JV when he shot puts it awkwardly from about 6-8 ft.

I'm hopeful for Gasol. Danny Green was interviewed and he said it's going to take Marc and Lin about 3-4 weeks of games to get comfortable with the offense, so we've still got some time. We're only 1 week in.
                Yeah, anyone who thought JV missed a lot of bunnies is not likely to enjoy Gasol around the rim. They have similar success rates right at the rim (within 3 feet), right around 70% (though JV a little higher than Marc). But the 3-10 foot range, where both players take a lot of their shots (and Marc takes even more compared to JV), JV's success rate has been around 50-60% most years (~60% this year and last), while Gasol hits only 35-45% of those shots (39% between the past two seasons).
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Unfortunately, the gap between JV and Gasol's inidividual scoring is big. JV has been consistently around .630-.640 TS% for the last 2 years. Gasol has been around .530-540 TS%. That's a huge difference. If nothing else, JV was an elite efficient scorer who could get his own buckets. Consistently. With how disjointed the offense looks, a guy like JV would seem to fit much better than Gasol who needs time to develop passing chemistry with guys who can't shoot or finish...
                  I just took their respective TS% for 2018. JV 59%. Gasol 50%2

Comment

• I'm not sure why people expected more.. he's a 34 year old guy now. And he flourished in a grit n' grind system. That's not how we play.

The only thing I'm looking forward to is his leadership. The passing is a bit over rated.. we miss most of the open shots we take anyway and it's not like we weren't getting good looks before he got here.

It's just been 5 games though.. need to see more.

The Boston game should be a good test. Baynes is hurt too... so Boston is going to be going small a lot. I assume Serge gets the start.. so Gasol will be facing a really small team when he gets in. Who's their backup? Daniel Theis is like 6'7. Morris is what 6'8?

JV would have struggled there.. at least defensively.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                      I just took their respective TS% for 2018. JV 59%. Gasol 50%2
                      Where did you get those from? JV's TS% was 63.9% for the Raptors this season. 63.6% last season.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• jacobdr4 wrote: View Post
                        One thing that bothered me last night was Marc Gasol struggled with the pick and roll as much as Jonas used to. There was multiple times he left Vucevic wide open. If were not getting any better pick and roll defense with Gasol than Jv then their defensive impact is pretty negligible, JV was always top of the league for defending opponents fg% percentage at the rim.
                        The whole team was lost defensively. Gasol clearly made the 'wrong' decision on a couple of those plays but there were so many mental mistakes all game I can't put much on him personally.

Comment

One thing that bothered me last night was Marc Gasol struggled with the pick and roll as much as Jonas used to. There was multiple times he left Vucevic wide open. If were not getting any better pick and roll defense with Gasol than Jv then their defensive impact is pretty negligible, JV was always top of the league for defending opponents fg% percentage at the rim.
                          Yeah, I was definitely expecting (hoping for) a noticeable improvement on PnR defense. That's more of a timing / decision making thing where Gasol's IQ should shine. Was a bit disappointed to see him get burned so easily a few times. Not sure if I'm looking forward to facing Embiid now.

Comment

Yeah, I was definitely expecting (hoping for) a noticeable improvement on PnR defense. That's more of a timing / decision making thing where Gasol's IQ should shine. Was a bit disappointed to see him get burned so easily a few times. Not sure if I'm looking forward to facing Embiid now.
                            Well the one positive is that the Sixers run almost no pick and rolls so we shouldn't be hurt too much on that front. Marc Gasol is still a great post defender and that is generally where Joel does most of his work. Happy to let him shoot any three he wants as well.

Comment

Well the one positive is that the Sixers run almost no pick and rolls so we shouldn't be hurt too much on that front. Marc Gasol is still a great post defender and that is generally where Joel does most of his work. Happy to let him shoot any three he wants as well.
                              Who cares about the Sixers? They are no threat to our Raptors. JV has eaten Joel's breakfast every time and made Joel clean up the plates after he was done. But maybe Joel will have more succes against Gasol? I don't know how well they have matched up in the past?

Comment

• BadDinosaur wrote: View Post
                                Who cares about the Sixers? They are no threat to our Raptors. JV has eaten Joel's breakfast every time and made Joel clean up the plates after he was done. But maybe Joel will have more succes against Gasol? I don't know how well they have matched up in the past?
                                he hasn't.. he has shot 33% historically against Gasol.

Comment

Working...
                                X