Everything Marc Gasol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
    he hasn't.. he has shot 33% historically against Gasol.
    Well, there you go. Nobody cares about them Sixers. Joel is no threat.

Bucks and Boston on the other hand... man, we need to start seeing something more out of our guys against those teams. In theory, we're better than those 2 teams, but in practice I have not seen it yet. There are no clear indications where we are better than them. Somehow I feel like we match up better against GSW than Bucks or Celtics.

Comment

• BadDinosaur wrote: View Post
      Well, there you go. Nobody cares about them Sixers. Joel is no threat.

Bucks and Boston on the other hand... man, we need to start seeing something more out of our guys against those teams. In theory, we're better than those 2 teams, but in practice I have not seen it yet. There are no clear indications where we are better than them. Somehow I feel like we match up better against GSW than Bucks or Celtics.
      we are about to find out with the celtics.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        Where did you get those from? JV's TS% was 63.9% for the Raptors this season. 63.6% last season.
        Looks like I grabbed effective field goal %.My bad. I got the stats from https://www.basketball-reference.com

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
          Looks like I grabbed effective field goal %.My bad. I got the stats from https://www.basketball-reference.com
          Ah, yep, eFG% tends to be a little lower.

But it should be noted that 59% and 50% are almost as far apart as eFG%'s can get. Those would rank ~60th and ~300th in the league (including all the small sample small minutes players).
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Ah, yep, eFG% tends to be a little lower.

But it should be noted that 59% and 50% are almost as far apart as eFG%'s can get. Those would rank ~60th and ~300th in the league (including all the small sample small minutes players).
            Duly noted.

Learn something every day.

Comment

• So you guys think Gasol is going to continue to come off the bench?

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                So you guys think Gasol is going to continue to come off the bench?
                depends on the game

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                  So you guys think Gasol is going to continue to come off the bench?
                  Hopefully not, but more importantly, if games where he comes off the bench he is used like last night, where he gets 24 minutes and a large share of the starter minutes, that's far better than what we've seen recently.

I'd hope that by the end of the season we are in a spot where Gasol is starting the vast majority of games and playing most of the starter minutes.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Hopefully not, but more importantly, if games where he comes off the bench he is used like last night, where he gets 24 minutes and a large share of the starter minutes, that's far better than what we've seen recently.

I'd hope that by the end of the season we are in a spot where Gasol is starting the vast majority of games and playing most of the starter minutes.
                    Ibaka is certainly making that decision tough for Nurse. He's not letting up on the good production he's had this season. I think unless there is an injury, or his play falls off dramatically, Ibaka will continue to start but with the same sort of minutes split.

It's a good problem to have.

Comment

• Well Nurse as much as said that all of the in game tinkering and the last couple of days of practice have been focused on getting effective D and O out of the new guys and old guys so they can put together a complete game, and they almost got that against the Celtics. I'm paraphrasing of course.

The weird lineups were not simply desperation measures but many times were to see particular combinations.

Certainly Marc was used the way we have been expecting him to be used. And it looks good.

I agree with other posters who have said Marc looks somewhat out of shape. I wonder if the Raptors training guys are working with him to help him round into playoff shape. Certainly Toronto runs a more up tempo game that Memphis. We could see an improvement over the next 4 weeks.
                      Last edited by Puffer; Wed Feb 27, 2019, 12:08 PM.

Comment

• I really do think Serge should play a majority of the time as a starter, and only use Gasol when the opposing C is a bruiser. Like if we played Detroit, Philly, Orlando, Golden State, etc.

Gasol is good with the bench. Serge needs a guy like Lowry or even Siakam with him. The team is pretty brutal when he's playing without a starter.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                          I really do think Serge should play a majority of the time as a starter, and only use Gasol when the opposing C is a bruiser. Like if we played Detroit, Philly, Orlando, Golden State, etc.

Gasol is good with the bench. Serge needs a guy like Lowry or even Siakam with him. The team is pretty brutal when he's playing without a starter.
                          I wonder if we see some time with them both on the floor again. It didn't end well last time, but as Gail gets integrated into the team a little better, and understands the plays better, I don't think it would Baca bad idea. Gasol on the perimeter operating out of the high post and Ibaka moving to the hoop or to his spots in the midrange.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                            I really do think Serge should play a majority of the time as a starter, and only use Gasol when the opposing C is a bruiser. Like if we played Detroit, Philly, Orlando, Golden State, etc.

Here's the problem with that logic. Bench success doesn't translate to the playoffs, because in the playoffs you don't play a full bench. You stagger your starters with the bench so you always have a star or two on the floor. The two guys the Raptors should be using most with the bench are Siakam and Lowry, and using those guys with the bench is exactly what led to the bench success in the Celtics game. Gasol with the bench without those guys has also been a disaster thus far, and I doubt reps fix that - we saw even a dominant JV struggling to keep the bench afloat when he was healthy early in the season.

Serge vs Gasol won't make much impact to the bench without those stars, and if those stars play, it won't matter which C is out there. But for the starters, there is every indication that the Gasol version has a far higher ceiling for performance than the Ibaka version, which is far too reliant on hitting jumpers and has been spotty defensively all season. We need to build a significant sample with Gasol to really make a assessment, and as such he should be starting a LOT between now and the end of the season, IMO.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                              I wonder if we see some time with them both on the floor again. It didn't end well last time, but as Gail gets integrated into the team a little better, and understands the plays better, I don't think it would Baca bad idea. Gasol on the perimeter operating out of the high post and Ibaka moving to the hoop or to his spots in the midrange.
                              I see no reason why they wouldn't try to do that, if only to make sure both guys get consistent and significant minutes. Can certainly try it a bunch down the stretch here to see if it's a viable look (there's no reason to think otherwise but best to prove it out) if we run into any particularly large matchups in the playoffs.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I'm beginning to look at the trade in a different light. Of course the trade was JV, Delon, and CJ for Gasol. But really it was JV, Delon, CJ, Malachi and Moose, for Gasol, Lin, Meeks (for now), Boucher and another player yet to be determined.

That looks way better. I'd much rather have Lin and Meeks plus any other talent that might come up before Friday than CJ, Delon, Malachi and Moose.

I think most people would agree that JV is super efficient and that when he got back on the court it would be a positive. However looking at as though we got to exchange, Delon for Lin, CJ for Meeks and Boucher for Malachi, it looks much better IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X