Everything Marc Gasol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

With like 10 games left in the regular season and the need to rest the top players towards the end of them I'd say he is bat shit crazy if he's still experimenting.If you want your playoff rotation performing at it's peak going into second season then I imagine they should have been playing together and building chemistry 10 games ago.

Not that I don't think they will play well in the playoffs, but I feel like they've already missed the opportunity to play at their highest level in the playoffs.
    THe playoff rotation (8-9-10 players) hasn't even been AVAILABLE in the last 10 games and still isn't .... I think the majority of fans still don't realize the impact that Leonard only playing 2/3 of the games, Kyle and FVV having been out so much for expended injuries, Serge getting suspended and Gasol being relatively new and a different sort of player to JV....does to a team.

Bucks getting their injuries late, we've had them all year

Comment

With like 10 games left in the regular season and the need to rest the top players towards the end of them I'd say he is bat shit crazy if he's still experimenting.If you want your playoff rotation performing at it's peak going into second season then I imagine they should have been playing together and building chemistry 10 games ago.

Not that I don't think they will play well in the playoffs, but I feel like they've already missed the opportunity to play at their highest level in the playoffs.
      They have the rest of the season and 4-5 games in the first round (which will be a much tighter rotation with more minutes) and then whatever they play in the third round to get ready for the Warriors. Maybe 15-18 games in the Eastern Conference to build chemistry before beating Golden State. That's lots of time.

Comment

• Do you want to be counting on playoff games to build chemistry though? Keeping in mind that even the cake teams we'd be facing in the first round are going to game plan for us and try to throw us off our game.

Regardless of what chemistry they can build through the early stages of the playoffs I think we've missed the boat on hitting the ceiling with this squad. To do that they would have had to be healthy which was obviously out of their hands, but also have figured out what to do with Gasol/Ibaka right after the trade which I thought was a bit of a failure on their part.

Comment

Do you want to be counting on playoff games to build chemistry though? Keeping in mind that even the cake teams we'd be facing in the first round are going to game plan for us and try to throw us off our game.

Regardless of what chemistry they can build through the early stages of the playoffs I think we've missed the boat on hitting the ceiling with this squad. To do that they would have had to be healthy which was obviously out of their hands, but also have figured out what to do with Gasol/Ibaka right after the trade which I thought was a bit of a failure on their part.
          I disagree with the gasol/Ibaka part I think they have managed that well. serge has been huge for us you can't just yank him from the starters day 1. not to mention we will need him for certain matchup. they did right by him making it a competition for the starter spot. looks like marc has earned the spot and serge hasn't lost motivation or trust in the coach of staff
          To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

Do you want to be counting on playoff games to build chemistry though? Keeping in mind that even the cake teams we'd be facing in the first round are going to game plan for us and try to throw us off our game.

Disagree as well. Early playoffs games are arguably the best to build chemistry. You' re not gonna build anything against reg season cream puffs like the Knicks other than maybe confidence for guys like Lin and Norm.

They need tough competition, as well as being able to play the same opponent a couple of times in a row, so adjustments and counter adjustments can be put in place. I've been critical of Nurse with the experimentation, but I can also see he's been toning that down

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

Disagree as well. Early playoffs games are arguably the best to build chemistry. You' re not gonna build anything against reg season cream puffs like the Knicks other than maybe confidence for guys like Lin and Norm.

They need tough competition, as well as being able to play the same opponent a couple of times in a row, so adjustments and counter adjustments can be put in place. I've been critical of Nurse with the experimentation, but I can also see he's been toning that down
              The cool thing for us is, games 78 thru 81 are like a first round simulation for us. We play Magic, Nets, Hornets and Heat. The Hornets have fallen off the wagon, but forsure the other 3 are potential first round opponent or at least at the level of the team we'll be facing. Each team will play with the intensity of a playoff game as well. It's a nice pre playoff, playoff.

Game 82 is vs Minnesota and unless a miracle is in place where we can still take 1st seed, I think that game we will sit Kyle, Danny, Kawhi, Serge and Gasol.
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• gasol suxors

Comment

• I've been OK that Gasol hasn't been putting up the numbers that JV has since the trade (on a bad team with more minutes for him and an offense made for his type of player). I'm also not oblivious to the fact that our ball movement is better, the 3 pt % is much better etc.

But you also need to expect more from out our 7 foot centre than 2-5 PPG and a few assists while being pretty horrible in rebounding. Gasol needs to step it up a fair bit, be a bit more selfish and get his now and again rather than pass first even when there's nothing between him and the tin and also bring a bit more pysicality and effort on the glass. No reason why we shouldn't expect at least 10 PPG? and 5-10 rebounds?

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                    I've been OK that Gasol hasn't been putting up the numbers that JV has since the trade (on a bad team with more minutes for him and an offense made for his type of player). I'm also not oblivious to the fact that our ball movement is better, the 3 pt % is much better etc.

But you also need to expect more from out our 7 foot centre than 2-5 PPG and a few assists while being pretty horrible in rebounding. Gasol needs to step it up a fair bit, be a bit more selfish and get his now and again rather than pass first even when there's nothing between him and the tin and also bring a bit more pysicality and effort on the glass. No reason why we shouldn't expect at least 10 PPG? and 5-10 rebounds?
                    I'm not judging Gasol on stats right now. he's figuring things out he looks a lot better the last week then he did when he first arrived. right now it seems he's trying to figure everything out and fit in. he defense is improving passing is great and he's taking charges as long as he keeps doing that and learning the system by the time playoffs come around I believe we're going to see a more improved Gasol hitting some 3s and making plays in the post. if he's playing with the starters he doesn't really need to put up more then 10 pts a game. it's more the intangibles and team play that can be the most valuable with the other 4 starters around him. I've been happy with the strides he has made over the last 4 games
                    To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• When was the last time a chip winner (or ECF or WCF champion) ever won with a centre averaging less than 10 PPG?

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                        When was the last time a chip winner (or ECF or WCF champion) ever won with a centre averaging less than 10 PPG?
                        I'm gonna guess... GSW? And then maybe Cleveland? lol

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
                          I'm gonna guess... GSW? And then maybe Cleveland? lol
                          Yes you are right, just looked it up. No one in the last four years won with a Centre averaging more than 10ppg. GSW won with Pachulia & Bogut, Cavs won with Frye & others, none had more the 10ppg on the season. Goes to show how the Centre position changed in the modern NBA. Last team that won with a C averaging over 10ppg was the 2014 Spurs with the great Tim Duncan.

To me if you add Gasol's points, boards and assists and you get around 20 to 25 with good defence , I'll take it. Ibaka can give you close to that as well
                          Last edited by inthepaint; Sat Mar 23, 2019, 08:04 PM.

Comment

• Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                              JV would have solved our bench scoring and rebounding problems - the only 2 major flaws that we have heading into the playoffs.

Comment

• ya the raps were really solid with JV ....

Comment

Working...
                                X