No announcement yet.

Everything Marc Gasol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The other problem Gasol has caused is to throw Ibaka completely out of rhythm. He was one of the most consistent players for the majority of this year. He’s not a smart enough player to be able to adjust to constantly changing roles and PGs.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
      The other problem Gasol has caused is to throw Ibaka completely out of rhythm. He was one of the most consistent players for the majority of this year. He’s not a smart enough player to be able to adjust to constantly changing roles and PGs.
      ya he needs to start

Comment

The other problem Gasol has caused is to throw Ibaka completely out of rhythm. He was one of the most consistent players for the majority of this year. He’s not a smart enough player to be able to adjust to constantly changing roles and PGs.
        Yep, that's a very underrated point. I don't know exactly how to look this up, but if we took the overall performance of our centre position pre-trade (Serge + JV), in terms of points, rebounds, assists and rim protection aggregate, and compared with our total centre output now (Serge + Gasol), I think the numbers would look significantly better pre-trade.

Serge was having a great year. He was the second highest scorer on the team for a long time (until Siakam finally overtook him), with great rim protection, improved rebounding and even setting better screens then he used to. Now he's lost out there, because of the system around him.

Basically, Gasol's starter impact has been, at best, a slight upgrade over Ibaka's starter output (if we also consider how better Gasol makes the other starters), but that's coming at the cost of a huge drop on the backup centre output.

I don't think that's Gasol's our Serge's fault necessarily, I think it's more of a fit thing. I know the prevailing thought is "you don't bring a Marc Gasol in to come off the bench", but if we're gonna experiment, I'd like to take a look at bench run by FVV & Gasol playmaking, with OG & Norm spotting up/cutting ,plus a starter (Lowry/ Kawhi or Siakam) anchoring that unit.

That just might bring Ibaka back to his pre-trade form playing with Lowry, improve our rebounding, and solve the bench problems in the process
        Last edited by inthepaint; Mon Mar 25, 2019, 12:14 AM.

Comment

JV would have solved our bench scoring and rebounding problems - the only 2 major flaws that we have heading into the playoffs.
          I would add turnovers to your list

Comment

• i think another thing that is underrated is the fact that we have barely had a full strength team together. Serge has had to adjust same with Gasol in a short period of time. 25 games isn't a lot of time. Especially to integrate someone into an offense. The play offs will allow more practise time leading into it to get things a bit more settled.

Comment

• another concerning thing: it's looking more and more like our "death lineup" is pascal at the 5, and we will need to deploy it often as the games become high stakes.

So, you've got two of your "top 6" players not only sharing one position, but sharing probably significant less than 48 minutes in the playoffs.

I don't think we'll need TWO 20 million dollar+ centers next year (Gasol will opt in for 25, that's 45 million for 40 min a night of league average production at the 5), especially if Kawhi comes back and we start deploying a Siakam-Kawhi front court in 4th quarters. At that point your backup center you just need a cheap "hire a lug" like Zaza or Zeller
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                another concerning thing: it's looking more and more like our "death lineup" is pascal at the 5, and we will need to deploy it often as the games become high stakes.

So, you've got two of your "top 6" players not only sharing one position, but sharing probably significant less than 48 minutes in the playoffs.

I don't think we'll need TWO 20 million dollar+ centers next year (Gasol will opt in for 25, that's 45 million for 40 min a night of league average production at the 5), especially if Kawhi comes back and we start deploying a Siakam-Kawhi front court in 4th quarters. At that point your backup center you just need a cheap "hire a lug" like Zaza or Zeller
                Trade Serge for JV as your backup centre. Problem solved

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Trade Serge for JV as your backup centre. Problem solved
                  One of the underrated parts of serge phenomenal first half is he has boosted up his trade value. Not only has he played great as a C he also has shwon the ability to play off the bench or in a platoon role for a contending team. If im a contending team that maybe feels like their one piece away i would give him a look. This hinges on the chance we dont make the finals cause if we do i think serge is going to be a big part of it.
                  To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

One of the underrated parts of serge phenomenal first half is he has boosted up his trade value. Not only has he played great as a C he also has shwon the ability to play off the bench or in a platoon role for a contending team. If im a contending team that maybe feels like their one piece away i would give him a look. This hinges on the chance we dont make the finals cause if we do i think serge is going to be a big part of it.
                    Looking ahead to next year, one of them has to go. At $25M Gasol IMO is untradeable during the off season whereas Serge coming off a career year would be very attractive as a starting 5 at only $20M. Perhaps we can secure a legit PG to replace Lowry when his contract runs out?

Comment

• Zak24gege wrote: View Post

Looking ahead to next year, one of them has to go. At $25M Gasol IMO is untradeable during the off season whereas Serge coming off a career year would be very attractive as a starting 5 at only $20M. Perhaps we can secure a legit PG to replace Lowry when his contract runs out?
                      Serge and Lowry for AD & Jrue.

Jrue, Danny, Kawhi, Siakam, AD. The 2-way potential of that lineup would be off the shots.

Comment

Serge and Lowry for AD & Jrue.

Jrue, Danny, Kawhi, Siakam, AD. The 2-way potential of that lineup would be off the shots.
                        The obvious stumbling block here is that there is no snowballs chance in hell New Orleans would find that in any way attractive. We're all now dumber for having read it. And may God have mercy on your soul.
                        Last edited by KeonClark; Mon Mar 25, 2019, 05:10 PM.
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Serge for Ross and a FRP?

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                            Serge for Ross and a FRP?
                            Ross is a free agent i believe. I could see a team giving a 2nd round pick and maybe a young guy who was picked in the late 1st and a overpaid player for contract filler for serge if they think he can help them make a run. But this all hinges on him playing good in the playoffs and we lose kawhi. Of course thats not going to happen we will win the chip and the whole gang will come back for another crack at the belt.
                            To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
                              Ross is a free agent i believe. I could see a team giving a 2nd round pick and maybe a young guy who was picked in the late 1st and a overpaid player for contract filler for serge if they think he can help them make a run. But this all hinges on him playing good in the playoffs and we lose kawhi. Of course thats not going to happen we will win the chip and the whole gang will come back for another crack at the belt.
                              Just trying to be funny since that's the package we gave to get Serge in the first place.

Even if Kawhi stays flipping Serge might make sense. We'll be deep in tax next year if Kawhi gets his max and everyone opts in. Serge could help alleviate that tax bill. Lots of teams with cap space this summer who might strike out in free agency. A young team like Brooklyn or Dallas might give him a shot for example.

Comment

• trade continues to look worse and worse.

Comment

Working...
                                X