Everything Marc Gasol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

And that is the fear or weakness of a team where depth is the main strength. You can count on those few stars on top heavy teams to deliver in the playoffs usually. On depth teams you need everyone to deliver. The percentages are not in our favor.
    My take is that given what Gasol's role seems to be (offence: facilitator, defence: paint protector). I would not expect to see the offensive numbers he was putting up in Memphis where he was a primary.scorer. That said he is getting shots so I would expect him to convert these into buckets at a reasonable rate. The defensive role involves rebounding and he will need to step up and get more aggressive in this dept. Even the lowly Knicks were able to grab 10 offensive rebounds in the 1H last night.

Reference FG - FGA / DREB
    Knicks: 0 - 4 / 5
    Bulls: 1 - 6 / 6
    Hornets 7 - 9 / 2
    Okc 1 - 1 / 5
    OKC 4 - 7 / 6

No offensive rebounds in above games
    Last edited by Zak24gege; Fri Mar 29, 2019, 01:15 PM.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

Wait, are you talking about that team in Oakland that got swept by the team that got swept by the Pistons this year?
      ftfy

Comment

• Nick dropped the Pistons games to serve a cold dish to Casey about what matters when the Pistons get ran out of the playoffs in sad fashion.

Comment

• Mitchell Duong wrote: View Post
          Nick dropped the Pistons games to serve a cold dish to Casey about what matters when the Pistons get ran out of the playoffs in sad fashion.
          Hahahahahhaahahhahahahaha

Comment

I really don't think Gasol's lack of scoring is an issue. Toronto has A LOT of scoring depth, a well balanced roster actually. 6 guys on the roster right now averaging double digits scoring. That's pretty unusual depth, a lot of teams are more top heavy.

Golden States been winning rings with very little scoring from guys like Draymond and Iggy. Those functional defensive/facilitator roles with just enough scoring to keep a defence honest are more likely what we're going to get out Gasol in Toronto, he shouldn't be compared to JV who always scored at the rate of a 20/10 guy.
            There is no team that can be compared to GSW perimeter. They got 3 of the best shooters in the history of basketball. On top of that, two of them are superstars on Kawhis level and one is an all star on Lowry's level.
            And guess what, they got Cousins at C this year too.
            You can not assume that we can be better at what they're doing and were doing for many years. We need to play a different brand of basketball and find a way to win it that way. There's no chance we beat them at their own game.

Comment

• BadDinosaur wrote: View Post

There is no team that can be compared to GSW perimeter. They got 3 of the best shooters in the history of basketball. On top of that, two of them are superstars on Kawhis level and one is an all star on Lowry's level.
              You can not assume that we can be better at what they're doing and were doing for many years. We need to play a different brand of basketball and find a way to win it that way. There's no chance we beat them at their own game.
              Guys I was just pointing out that key rotation pieces on championship teams don't necessarily need to be scoring 15 ppg. FFS Golden State is only the most recent example since they won LAST YEAR. Y'all write these things as though it is news that the Toronto Raptors are not the Golden State Warriors in every last respect.

Feel free to do the work yourself of finding 20+ mpg rotation players who scored in the single digits but made solid contributions on championship teams. I guarantee it is a long list that includes many teams not spelled "Golden State Warriors."

But feel free to keep counterpointing just for the sake of it, it is the Internet.
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• So here is my honest opinion. Gasol is better but we are still figuring out how to use him. Offensively the passing is great and helps out ALOT. That said I do think guys look off him far too much and use him as a bail out option only. I also think Gasol is adjusting still himself. I think if he was here for a whole training camp it would have worked better. The team has way better offense now. I think JV was amazing and I miss him ... I miss his defensive rebounding and I miss his ability to score and get a bucket last minute. That said Gasol is not being utilized in the best way. He honestly should be initiating more offense and shooting ... around 3-5 more shots a game. If his shot attempts were close to 10-13 each game that would be the right amount. I would honestly reduce leonards work load by 3 shots or 2 shots even and reduce pascal's by 1. That small minor shift would help.

I also think he should be involved in the offense much more earlier on in the clock. The thing about this team.. its so smart that we could easily adjust and beat teams in 7 games... I don't think there is a better team in the east currently. maaay be philly but we are better because over 7 games you can completely deny Ben Simmons from doing his thing.

Comment

• Zak24gege wrote: View Post

My take is that given what Gasol's role seems to be (offence: facilitator, defence: paint protector). I would not expect to see the offensive numbers he was putting up in Memphis where he was a primary.scorer. That said he is getting shots so I would expect him to convert these into buckets at a reasonable rate. The defensive role involves rebounding and he will need to step up and get more aggressive in this dept. Even the lowly Knicks were able to grab 10 offensive rebounds in the 1H last night.

Reference FG - FGA / DREB
                  Knicks: 0 - 4 / 5
                  Bulls: 1 - 6 / 6
                  Hornets 7 - 9 / 2
                  Okc 1 - 1 / 5
                  OKC 4 - 7 / 6

No offensive rebounds in above games
                  That's right, there's multiple ways to help the team. I agree he doesn't necessarily need high ppg's, but if he's not doing that, as a centre, the rebounding needs to be there. He's averaging 6.5 boards in Toronto as a centre. There are 37 centres in the league averaging more boards per game so far. His strength is his passing/faclitating, so if the scoring and rebounding are not really there, you'd expect the assists to hover around 8 or 9 per game. His averaging 3.8 assists with the Raptors (and that's with the team shooting a lot better as of late)

I think he's a heck of a player, don't get me wrong, but I think part of the reticence here is that how it changed the overall dynamic of our centre position, and people still need time to buy in.

Before the trade we had a "two-headed beast" hyper-efficient Ibaka-JV combo, that regardless of who was starting, when you looked at the overall output out of the C position, it was incredibly solid. Both were settled well into their interchanging roles. Both were putting up good individual numbers and helping the team, and Ibaka held the fort well during JV's injury. He was the best rebounder on the team and second highest scorer almost all the way up to all-start break when Siakam finally overtook him (Pre all-star break Ibaka=16ppg, Siakam 16.1ppg).

Then after the trade it felt like the combined output of the C position (both players) plunged. I have no numbers to back this up, that's just the impression I got from the games and I'd love to be wrong on this though. If someone has the numbers to show that's not the case (combined C numbers before and after trade), I'd love to see that it's just my eye fooling me and we're better off now.

Again, Gasol is a very good player and believe it will work. However, in the playoffs it's enough that the offence looks pretty (like it has been, especially vs teams like Hornets, Bulls, Knicks), it will actually need more meat in the numbers, especially on the defensive glass.

Comment

Guys I was just pointing out that key rotation pieces on championship teams don't necessarily need to be scoring 15 ppg. FFS Golden State is only the most recent example since they won LAST YEAR. Y'all write these things as though it is news that the Toronto Raptors are not the Golden State Warriors in every last respect.

Feel free to do the work yourself of finding 20+ mpg rotation players who scored in the single digits but made solid contributions on championship teams. I guarantee it is a long list that includes many teams not spelled "Golden State Warriors."

But feel free to keep counterpointing just for the sake of it, it is the Internet.
                    Probably should have used the 2014 Spurs as your example or another team from that long list. It's almost impossible to realistically compare any roster to the Warriors, even if you're just trying to make an analogy.

Comment

They'll bend the knee to Kawhi.

Comment

I guess the point I was trying to make is when you talked about Gasol and that you don't need scoring from his position. I think it's the opposite, we absolutely need scoring from Gasol. Our great passing and 3-point shooting is not sustainable in the playoffs and will never out-do better 3-point shooting teams including GSW, Bucks and some other teams to a lesser extent. That is why we absolutely need our bigs to dominate on the inside to balance out our offense.
                        Sure, right now playing the easiest part of the schedule we look fantastic with the hot shooting (although the record disagrees), but who will get us buckets at the rim when our offense starts to stall from the perimeter. Kawhi is great and all, but other elite teams have their own Kawhi and more stable shooter AND are more balanced in the inside and out game.
                        You see, I don't expect Gasol to outplay or at least equalize a Cousins or a Lopez for exemple just by passing the ball. On top of good passing, he needs to either outscore them or at least outrebound them by a good margin for us to have a chance. While I don't see any of this happen either, in my humble opinion, I think we need to find a good balance inside and out if we hope to beat the absolute elites in the post season. He needs to start scoring. Either that, or somebody will cut our post-season short early again.

Comment

I guess the point I was trying to make is when you talked about Gasol and that you don't need scoring from his position. I think it's the opposite, we absolutely need scoring from Gasol. Our great passing and 3-point shooting is not sustainable in the playoffs and will never out-do better 3-point shooting teams including GSW, Bucks and some other teams to a lesser extent. That is why we absolutely need our bigs to dominate on the inside to balance out our offense.
                          Sure, right now playing the easiest part of the schedule we look fantastic with the hot shooting (although the record disagrees), but who will get us buckets at the rim when our offense starts to stall from the perimeter. Kawhi is great and all, but other elite teams have their own Kawhi and more stable shooter AND are more balanced in the inside and out game.
                          You see, I don't expect Gasol to outplay or at least equalize a Cousins or a Lopez for exemple just by passing the ball. On top of good passing, he needs to either outscore them or at least outrebound them by a good margin for us to have a chance. While I don't see any of this happen either, in my humble opinion, I think we need to find a good balance inside and out if we hope to beat the absolute elites in the post season. He needs to start scoring. Either that, or somebody will cut our post-season short early again.
                          I think ppl forget just how good of a defensive quarter back he is at the back end of the defence able to yell out coverages better than anyone except maybe lowry.

Comment

• You guys really over exaggerate Gasols playmaking impact. He’ll get maybe 6-10 points out of his assists but hes not even close to JVs impact. JV put up 34/20 last night. This was a horrible trade. The team feels empty. Empty like when you trade value for picks you have to wait for in the summer - except we didnt get any picks. Memphis cleaned house. Wright is much better than Lin too and even Coboclo is fairing well.

MU is only human. Bad year to find out.

Comment

• I dunno man. JV has a monster game and they win by like 4 or 5 pts against....the Suns. I really hope Memphis continues to focus their offence against JV and put better players and shooters around him in the future. I want to see how far a good team can go with JV as one of the main focal points

Comment

• Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post
                                You guys really over exaggerate Gasols playmaking impact. He’ll get maybe 6-10 points out of his assists but hes not even close to JVs impact. JV put up 34/20 last night. This was a horrible trade. The team feels empty. Empty like when you trade value for picks you have to wait for in the summer - except we didnt get any picks. Memphis cleaned house. Wright is much better than Lin too and even Coboclo is fairing well.

MU is only human. Bad year to find out.
                                it's not a zero sum game. We can be happy for JV and hope he gets lots of opportunity without it being a bad trade. JV had 28 shots last night. Again, that's great for him and he deserves it. But he ain't getting 28 shots on a top 5 team with Kawhi, Siakam and Lowry on it. Memphis is a great fit for JV for now but this trade was always about 2019 playoffs and the style of play MU thought it would take to be successful. Would JV be on the floor chasing around Horford or Brook Lopez around the 3 point line or is Gasol better for that? If Milwaukee gives up the 3 at the top of the break do you want Gasol taking that shot or JV?

It's ok to think the trade won't work out but you can't look at JV's numbers in absolute terms without considering his usage vs what it would be on team with 2 almost 3 other all -stars on it demanding lots of shots

Comment

Working...
                                X