No announcement yet.

Everything Marc Gasol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JV 34 points on 16-28 shooting takes a +2 away from a 5 point win over the Suns in 34 minutes. 20 rebounds are great, 5 assists 2 stl 2 blk

Marc had 17 on 6-11 was +25 in 29 minutes. 8 reb, 6 assists, 1 blk

Competition level was similar, our talent was higher but by how much? P, OG and Whi all sat out. Green only played 17 mins.

I get the 2 players are linked by the trade, but they couldn't be less alike. MU is undefeated until overwhelming evidence to contrary.

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post

it's not a zero sum game. We can be happy for JV and hope he gets lots of opportunity without it being a bad trade. JV had 28 shots last night. Again, that's great for him and he deserves it. But he ain't getting 28 shots on a top 5 team with Kawhi, Siakam and Lowry on it. Memphis is a great fit for JV for now but this trade was always about 2019 playoffs and the style of play MU thought it would take to be successful. Would JV be on the floor chasing around Horford or Brook Lopez around the 3 point line or is Gasol better for that? If Milwaukee gives up the 3 at the top of the break do you want Gasol taking that shot or JV?

It's ok to think the trade won't work out but you can't look at JV's numbers in absolute terms without considering his usage vs what it would be on team with 2 almost 3 other all -stars on it demanding lots of shots
      That's a bad example because Gasol is slower than JV these days. Almost no lateral movement whatsoever and no lift. Answer is: neither.

Comment

• Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post
        You guys really over exaggerate Gasols playmaking impact. He’ll get maybe 6-10 points out of his assists but hes not even close to JVs impact. JV put up 34/20 last night. This was a horrible trade. The team feels empty. Empty like when you trade value for picks you have to wait for in the summer - except we didnt get any picks. Memphis cleaned house. Wright is much better than Lin too and even Coboclo is fairing well.

MU is only human. Bad year to find out.
        JV's impact is empty stats. Grizzlies are losing and he is putting up large numbers. He isn't getting that many shots/opportunities on a top team. Same goes for Bruno. Raptors likely wouldn't have re-signed Wright anyway. Gasol's playmaking isn't just about his assist. Its getting the ball moving, getting the hockey assist, making a pass to an open man, having the defense scramble. There is a reason why the Raptors are first 3P% since the Gasol trade.

Comment

You guys really over exaggerate Gasols playmaking impact. He’ll get maybe 6-10 points out of his assists but hes not even close to JVs impact. JV put up 34/20 last night. This was a horrible trade. The team feels empty. Empty like when you trade value for picks you have to wait for in the summer - except we didnt get any picks. Memphis cleaned house. Wright is much better than Lin too and even Coboclo is fairing well.

By that logic - Devin Booker is a top 10 player. JV would never have done what hes done with us. The Grizzlies use him as a first option.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

JV's impact is empty stats. Grizzlies are losing and he is putting up large numbers. He isn't getting that many shots/opportunities on a top team. Same goes for Bruno. Raptors likely wouldn't have re-signed Wright anyway. Gasol's playmaking isn't just about his assist. Its getting the ball moving, getting the hockey assist, making a pass to an open man, having the defense scramble. There is a reason why the Raptors are first 3P% since the Gasol trade.
            If winning is the criteria, then the Grizzlies were .396 with Gasol and are playing .500 (8-8) in their last 16 games with JV. They've beaten good teams, too..... OKC, POR, HOU, UTA and a desperate ORL. Meanwhile, Raps with Gasol have only beaten one 'decent' team - a dysfunctional Celtics squad, split with OKC and got absolutely drilled by HOU. JV has brought a winning mentality to the Grizz that wasn't there with Gasol, this year.

Comment

Comparing Gasol in Toronto to JV in Memphis is apple to oranges. The surrounding players are at a completely different level, so that skews things dramatically. JV is the go-to scorer in Memphis. Gasol is about the 4th scoring option here.

Surrounding Gasol on this team: A MIP/borderline all-star (Siakam), a MVP caliber player (Kawhi), an all-star point guard (Lowry), and currently one of the best 3pt shooters in league (Danny). Off the bench staggering the court with Gasol: a 6MOTY caliber player near his peak form in FVV, and another high end centre (Ibaka) that he has to share minutes with (who was the second highest scorer on this stacked team up to the all-star break). There's only one ball. His role here is to facilitate, and help with the scoring if 2 or 3 of these guys are out.

Who does JV have around him? Maybe Conley? Then what? Any NBA team will score at least 80 to 90 pts per game, so if you're the primary scorer on any given team, you're gonna average 20 to 25 per night regardless. Similar rational applies to Delon and Bruno, they gonna look better if there's no one else to do the job. That doesn't take anything away from them, credit to them for establish themselves as the leading players on their team, but it's a completely different reality. They wouldn't be able to do that here. You put Devin Booker or Kemba Walker on the Warriors they ain't averaging 27ppg anymore, because again, there's only one ball.

Comment

JV's impact is empty stats....
                no need to humiliate JV on that. A very few can keep up high efficiency with increased usage.

Marc and JV are both very impactful players, just their ways are different.
                Gasol is perfect next to slashers or another non-C player who loves operating in the paint. Plus he's good at the initial pass to begin a fast break. These couple last seasons Memphis had no force under the rim and Marc became a bad fit to the team.

JV has immense gravity down low. He instantly bends defenses as opposing team must double him - there's little hope to stop JV one on one under the rim. The problem arises if there's too few shooters or too much standing and ball watching - the problem we had under Casey.

I believe Masai just felt he had too little time to find out what JV can give to the team surrounded with enough shooters and movement. So the call was made on player who fits the bill based on last 5 years.

p.s. Guards from Memphis are having career numbers because JV opens so much space - no opposing center dares to cheat off of him. He's good fit with so many shooters around and I'm happy with that. Memphis plays extremely depleted and yet they are 50/50 team with JV - so no, it's not just empty stats.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

Comparing Gasol in Toronto to JV in Memphis is apple to oranges. The surrounding players are at a completely different level, so that skews things dramatically. JV is the go-to scorer in Memphis. Gasol is about the 4th scoring option here.

Surrounding Gasol on this team: A MIP/borderline all-star (Siakam), a MVP caliber player (Kawhi), an all-star point guard (Lowry), and currently one of the best 3pt shooters in league (Danny). Off the bench staggering the court with Gasol: a 6MOTY caliber player near his peak form in FVV, and another high end centre (Ibaka) that he has to share minutes with (who was the second highest scorer on this stacked team up to the all-star break). There's only one ball. His role here is to facilitate, and help with the scoring if 2 or 3 of these guys are out.

Who does JV have around him? Maybe Conley? Then what? Any NBA team will score at least 80 to 90 pts per game, so if you're the primary scorer on any given team, you're gonna average 20 to 25 per night regardless. Similar rational applies to Delon and Bruno, they gonna look better if there's no one else to do the job. That doesn't take anything away from them, credit to them for establish themselves as the leading players on their team, but it's a completely different reality. They wouldn't be able to do that here. You put Devin Booker or Kemba Walker on the Warriors they ain't averaging 27ppg anymore, because again, there's only one ball.
                  Good for JV, however that 70's style basketball doesn't win in this league anymore. As mentioned above Gasol has a very different role here which complicates comparisons based on individual stats. He does have to do his part though. We will find out soon enough how this team will fare in the playoffs.

Comment

• Scoring and rebounding the ball (controlling the possessions) doesn't win you games anymore? wow lol
                    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                      Scoring and rebounding the ball (controlling the possessions) doesn't win you games anymore? wow lol
                      Seriously. Grizzlies were winning less with Gasol and they had a full squad. JV has to play with guys like: Justin Holiday, Jevon Carter, Chandler Parsons & Bruno. And they are winning more.

Comment

• In 2018-2019 Memphis plays with the slowest pace in the NBA and is 26th in 3PA.

JV is playing great and I’m happy for him and I hope he gets a $100 million contract next time around. But it’s clear the raps were looking at a high pace high 3PA offence with lots of switching on D and his skills weren’t being maximized in this offense with 2, almost 3 all stars in the starting lineup.
                        Last edited by Rudy Bargnani; Sun Mar 31, 2019, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• Cross wrote: View Post

no need to humiliate JV on that. A very few can keep up high efficiency with increased usage.

Marc and JV are both very impactful players, just their ways are different.
                          Gasol is perfect next to slashers or another non-C player who loves operating in the paint. Plus he's good at the initial pass to begin a fast break. These couple last seasons Memphis had no force under the rim and Marc became a bad fit to the team.

JV has immense gravity down low. He instantly bends defenses as opposing team must double him - there's little hope to stop JV one on one under the rim. The problem arises if there's too few shooters or too much standing and ball watching - the problem we had under Casey.

I believe Masai just felt he had too little time to find out what JV can give to the team surrounded with enough shooters and movement. So the call was made on player who fits the bill based on last 5 years.

p.s. Guards from Memphis are having career numbers because JV opens so much space - no opposing center dares to cheat off of him. He's good fit with so many shooters around and I'm happy with that. Memphis plays extremely depleted and yet they are 50/50 team with JV - so no, it's not just empty stats.
                          Not humiliating. I like JV, but he wouldn't put up those numbers on a top team, thats what I mean by empty stats.

Gasol is better for our team, JV is better for the Grizzlies, lets leave it at that.

Comment

Not humiliating. I like JV, but he wouldn't put up those numbers on a top team, thats what I mean by empty stats.

Gasol is better for our team, JV is better for the Grizzlies, lets leave it at that.
                            Your "empty stats" remark implies that he isn't an impact-full player despite putting up huge numbers. I totally disagree. You know that Conley has been in and out of the lineup since the JV trade? All quality players that Grizzlies have are injured. Injuries since or shortly before trade : Jaren Jackson (their own Siakam) is out for the season, Noah is injured and has played in only a handful of games, Avery Bradley is out and has played only a couple of games, Conley has played in half of them, CJ has played in 5 games and on and on... the injury situation is so bad that the NBA allowed them to add not 1 but 2 additional players to their maxed out roster under the "hardship roster exception" rule. They are playing games with 8 guys available on the roster, half of them pretty much useless. When Conley doesn't play, the second best player available after JV is either Wright or Caboclo ! Yet despite all of this, Grizzlies are playing .500 ball and against much stiffer competition over that stretch than the Raptors. They got wins over Houston, OKC, Utah, Portland, Magic among the stronger teams. In all of these games JV was the leader and willed them to wins with huge stats and clutch plays on BOTH ends of the court.

So no, I don't agree at all with your "empty stats" comment.

Comment

• BadDinosaur wrote: View Post

Your "empty stats" remark implies that he isn't an impact-full player despite putting up huge numbers. I totally disagree. You know that Conley has been in and out of the lineup since the JV trade? All quality players that Grizzlies have are injured. Injuries since or shortly before trade : Jaren Jackson (their own Siakam) is out for the season, Noah is injured and has played in only a handful of games, Avery Bradley is out and has played only a couple of games, Conley has played in half of them, CJ has played in 5 games and on and on... the injury situation is so bad that the NBA allowed them to add not 1 but 2 additional players to their maxed out roster under the "hardship roster exception" rule. They are playing games with 8 guys available on the roster, half of them pretty much useless. When Conley doesn't play, the second best player available after JV is either Wright or Caboclo ! Yet despite all of this, Grizzlies are playing .500 ball and against much stiffer competition over that stretch than the Raptors. They got wins over Houston, OKC, Utah, Portland, Magic among the stronger teams. In all of these games JV was the leader and willed them to wins with huge stats and clutch plays on BOTH ends of the court.

So no, I don't agree at all with your "empty stats" comment.

Memphis could be a playoff team next year to be honest. Depends how they want to build longterm but a full year of unleashed JV, JJJ, Kyle Anderson, Bradley and Conley is a solid starting 5 and theyve got some depth now. I’d totally understand if they decide to go young too and maybe trade Conley to maybe PHX for a wing prospect and a first, I think Jaren Jackson is someone you can build around. Though I think this is a great situation to develop currently.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post

Memphis could be a playoff team next year to be honest. Depends how they want to build longterm but a full year of unleashed JV, JJJ, Kyle Anderson, Bradley and Conley is a solid starting 5 and theyve got some depth now. I’d totally understand if they decide to go young too and maybe trade Conley to maybe PHX for a wing prospect and a first, I think Jaren Jackson is someone you can build around. Though I think this is a great situation to develop currently.
                                Yup - solid lineup. Being the west is gonna hurt their chances though.

Comment

Working...
                                X